•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Could this work for EAA

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Longview, WA

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:23 PM

I sat down this evening, put the scope together, aimed it at our Ham club antenna, a little over 1 mile away.  I checked both finder scopes I have and the main scope, all centered where I want them. Added both cameras, got the ASI294 adjusted and focused on the tower, then did the same with the ASI120mm camera.  Not sure why I had troubles with the main camera the other night, but everything worked fine today. On my next weekend, If weather cooperates I will try again with Polaris as stated above in a previous post. Thanks to all for the ideas and the encouragement. The wife is encouraging also, but cant wait to see something on her TV,smile.gif  

• dcweaver likes this

#77 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

another update, I was able to get the polar alignment done in sharpcap, but I was bouncing from good to poor, as soon as I would get it close it would bounce to the opposite directions. I was close, I got it a little better with the alignment scope. Polaris was close to center in the scope. I was able to see the companion very well.  I started a capture, and ended up with no Images.  Back to checking out the settings. best of all, I was able to stream to the TV so the wife was able to see what we were looking at.  Then the clouds moved in and the night ended. Not a perfect night but she is very happy, and was surprised that polaris is a double.

Thanks again for the help and encouragement

• GoFish and dcweaver like this

#78 dcweaver

dcweaver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:12 AM

Sounds like a good start.  You can see something!  If the camera settings and focus were way off, you wouldn't be able to see much of anything.  Just have to sort out the trouble saving images now.  A few questions to think about:

• Can you find the file you saved (save settings)
  • Can you open the file you saved (preferred "still format" settings)
  • Can you see anything in the file you saved (histogram level settings while viewing in SharpCap)

Open the basic settings menu in SharpCap:  File > SharpCap Settings

Select the tab marked "Filenames"

• Note the path shown in the "Save captured filed to" box.  This is where SharpCap puts the saved images.  You can change this to whatever you want.

Select the tab marked "General" and look for the area marked "Saving"

• Preferred Video Format:  Make sure it's not set to SER.  You need special software to open those
  • Preferred Still Format:  Make sure it's not set to FITS.  You need special software to open those

That covers the file location and file format.  The question of being able to see anything after you open the file gets into how bright the image was (exposure & gain) when you captured it.  If the histogram was set to default levels, everything should come out as seen on the screen.  If it was "stretched" when you saved it, it will look very black unless you stretch it in a similar way after you open it.  Many image viewers have an edit menu that will let you increase "exposure" "brightness" etc...

See if any of that helps next time.

#79 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:20 AM

another update, I was able to get the polar alignment done in sharpcap, but I was bouncing from good to poor, as soon as I would get it close it would bounce to the opposite directions. I was close, I got it a little better with the alignment scope. Polaris was close to center in the scope. I was able to see the companion very well.  I

Just remember that Polaris is about 40 arcminutes from the North Celestial Pole, so if your scope is actually aligned on the NCP,  Polaris is unlikely to be at the centre of the FOV (assuming no cone error in your set-up). When doing polar alignment with SharpCap, the final adjustments should be of the order of an arcminute or less. If you are seeing changes from good to poor, that suggests your adjustments are probably too large.

#80 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:35 AM

Bill

You might find the unofficial quick start guide to sharpcap to be useful.  A little dated, but still helpful.  You can get the link here  https://www.cloudyni...al#entry9581288

j

#81 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for more information, If weather permits I will be setting things up tomorrow night I am off work for 5 days and will take the opportunity to try every night. The wife wants more, I will keep trying to make her happy and keep her interested.laugh.gif

#82 Bill05

Bill05

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2021 - 07:17 PM

I changed some of my setting, but was to tired last night. I even set up my system to the TV backwards, so no signal to the TV. I set up this morning, put the solar filter on and got some decent images of the Sun, and I could view the images after the session.  I need to work adjusting the settings better, but the wife liked the images, but it took her some time to remember that she was looking at sun spots and not a dirty lens.  going to take a nap this afternoon and setup tonight and keep trying.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics