•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell Us About Your Favorite NV Viewing Experience

NV
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:25 AM

I do live at a dark site and yes, with a good night, I can get a 3 magnitude improvement.  I am glad you will try it in the summer but don't limit yourself to just this one.  I have found all the ngc globulars in that area of the sky to be immensely rewarding.

#27 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:58 PM

I use my NV on an 18" telescope. When I look at a globular cluster on a glass eyepiece, I like it better. But I don't remember if I looked through NV NGC 6356. But I looked NGC 6356 through glass many times (18 and 24" telescopes).

#28 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:31 AM

Last night (3.2.21)  I was out with the C8 working at around F7 with some views at F10. Orion was near zenith. The view of the Horsehead Nebula was one of my better views. Both ends of the background nebula IC 434 were easy and extended outside the field of view.  The Horsehead was “very easy” and obvious as a black thumbprint in the background nebula. With slight side-to-side telescope motion, the head-shape/snout started to become discernable. Surprisingly, the larger image scale, even in the slower C8, delivers a better/more detailed view of this object than do my faster refractors.

Although the above and the Flame Nebula could not be observed together in the same field, the Flame Nebula was also easy with an easy dark trunk and some dark branches observed.

The core of M42 was absolutely photo-like and appeared 3-D with layers of overlapping dark and light nebula details. Words cannot and do not do the view justice. At F10, the view of the bright nebula core detail was even better.

Even though slower, the added image scale and larger aperture, compared to my refractors, of the C8 brings its own advantages to the party. 

Bob

• chemisted and RedzoneMN like this

#29 Jim4321

Jim4321

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:15 PM

I believe I've seen, or come close to seeing, Hubble's Pillars of Creation in M16 with my Mod 3 and a barlowed C9.25. Or maybe it was just averted imagination.... wink.gif, but a couple of observing partners agreed. 

I'll go for the Great Orion Nebula (no barlow) in a 2nd place tie with Omega Centauri.  Orion 'cause it made me start to realize just how much free hydrogen there still is in the Universe, and the OC because it's both spectacular and such a rare target this far north.

Jim H.

Edited by Jim4321, 03 March 2021 - 05:10 PM.

• bobhen and chemisted like this

#30 dobbyx

dobbyx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:19 AM

Shortly after I first got NV, I would go on late night walks into the fields around the local village with the device helmet-mounted; it was fun to see all sorts of wildlife minding their business. On the first particularly clear night I decided to go for a walk but leave the 7nm Ha filter attached. As I cleared most of the streetlights, I looked behind me and the Veil popped out almost instantly at 1x. I decided in that single moment that the whole NV investment was completely worth it. Then I looked around and saw all these annoying patches of emission which I couldn't identify at all until I looked them up. I then learned that the Lagoon is actually pretty big.

Then a badger came sniffing around, didn't notice me, crossed the road and somehow managed to startle itself moving into the opposite hedgerow, making a huge racket.

• Jeff Morgan, chemisted and Gavster like this

#31 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

My favourite viewing was when I took my pvs-14 (non ITAR since it was purchased and made in Europe) down to Argentina with me for the eclipse in 2019. The views of the southern hemisphere skies were incredible especially since I had never seen them before. In particular Eta Carinae and Omega Centauri stood out (here are some phone pics with my nv and my 95mm refractor). Scanning at 1x mag the heart of the Milky Way going right over the top of the sky was amazing as well, something I will never forget.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7D94EAFF-8712-453E-B3F4-58B83D66B71B.jpeg
  • F820666D-81A2-4C05-AA7A-C32412EB72A2.jpeg

Edited by Gavster, 05 March 2021 - 11:25 PM.

• chemisted and Jim4321 like this

#32 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:38 PM

They are bright objects and look much the same in a large telescope through a glass eyepiece. I've seen this in Australia.
Except that the globular cluster in your picture looks like the center of an explosion with flying debris :)

#33 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:50 PM

They are bright objects and look much the same in a large telescope through a glass eyepiece. I've seen this in Australia.
Except that the globular cluster in your picture looks like the center of an explosion with flying debris smile.gif

Pretty cool to get large telescope views in an ultra portable scope that’s only 45cm long and only 3kg in weight. And tricky to get a wide 3 degree fov in a large telescope.

Edited by Gavster, 05 March 2021 - 05:04 PM.

• ButterFly likes this

#34 MJB87

MJB87

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:17 AM

Let's stay on topic. This is a thread about the personal viewing experiences of NV in astronomy. There are plenty of other forums where posts about other viewing technologies would be welcome.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics