•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are all the LX600 users

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 kzar

kzar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:02 AM

I've had my LX600 for about 10 years now, only recently mounted to get DSO serious. Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems with it, from physically broken boards, faulty GPS sensors and a recently failed Starlock (which is now sitting on the floor).

Meade were good to sort the original issues but weren't interested in the Starlock. This forced me into guiding like a normal person which has only served to expose the appalling gear accuracy. Bucks gears have helped with the crippling backlash slop but the raw variation is driving me crazy. It turns out that pouring money into the good gear doesn't overcome built in weaknesses (what a surprise!). 

If I time it right, I can get about 180s (guided) exposures that are useable. Exasperating!

Am I seeing right that you put your CCD like an "OAG ? Is this done to tackle the "clearance" issue that you might face (to avoid to touch the base of the scope) ? Would be happy to have you feedback.

Also, it freaking me out to read pretty much everywhere that people are experiencing issues with their Starlock, and also complaining about the gear accuracy. I am about to have my LX600 14" installed permanently on a pier (with the x-wedge). I hope I am not going to experience what you did. Otherwise, as I already mentioned on another thread, I will go the following road : defork it, get a solid mount, and then fully enjoy my imaging nights.

Currently, I am mainly doing AP with my ES 102 APO (and soon wi the TS optics quadruplet) in conjunction with APT tool and I am very happy. However, should I have tremendous issues with my Meade setup, I am not willing to spend months to figure it out... so disappointed to have so many negative feedbacks re Meade products

Thank you

Aygen

Edited by kzar, 07 May 2021 - 04:39 AM.

#27 SIG.OCT

SIG.OCT

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

It is how I got around the clearance issue - even the purple camera is too long to be installed when polar aligning - it is an on axis guider from (onag from innovations foresight).

Annoying that, Starlock seemed to work when I used it originally, but after a couple of years in between houses it never woke up again. Wouldn't hold it against the product in general though, people tend to not talk about how things are working perfectly for them ;)

Gears do seem to be a problem, there is no hiding from it. But there must be a workable solution though, and for DSO you can't beat the stability of the forks holding the OTA. 

• dcaponeii and kzar like this

#28 kzar

kzar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:13 AM

Thank you for your quick answer. I should also consider getting the same OAG than yours - never heard before. Would definitely make sense since I will be using also a Moonlite Focuser. But having such OAG, doesn't it affect the imaging quality ? 

Agree, it should have a solution to your problem, I am sure.

I just hope that I will be happy with my setup... I want to keep it as it is today, i.e. mounted on a wedge with the original fork design. I will keep this thread updated whenever I can (probably by end of this month).

My best regards from Switzerland,

Aygen

Edited by kzar, 07 May 2021 - 05:35 AM.

#29 dallmon

dallmon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

My LX600 had an electrical meltdown after 2 years and had to be shipped back to the factory. The only thing it would do was track and slew from the hand controller. Meade had it three months, sent it back, and everything worked but the GPS. Then I noticed that on half a dozen really interesting objects the Starlock wouldn't lock on any stars. Ultimately I stripped the Starlock off, added a GPS, guidescope, and Raspberry Pi, and went with Indi for automation. It's never been better. With guiding it tracks very good, compared to its performance with the Starlock. As much as the thing has cost me, I still love the scope.

• kzar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics