•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Сomet detection application ?

Software Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 borisfox

borisfox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

Hi folks!

My friend, a professional astronomer, asked me about such a application: to determine is there comet in an image FITS or not. Not its physical parameters or coordinates, but simply to detect is it in file?

During automatic observations, a large volume of files accumulates, it is difficult for a human to view all of them, it is also often difficult to see a comet with eyes, it can merge with a star or frames can be very large. In addition, it is necessary to detect the comet online. In order to have time to examine it additionally, but if it is new comet, then assign the glory of a discoverer smile.gif!

Maybe someone knows about a similar application?

If there is no such application, I want to try to implement it as a hobby open source project. E.g. implement a web service where fits files will be uploaded, the trained neural network will detect comets. If a comet is found, a notification will be sent to the sender - a comet is found in such a FITS file. Also, this web service will collect feedback (for those users who will agree): whether the comet was correctly detected or not. This will allow me to collect an additional dataset for additional training of the neural network.

Could you advise where i can find datasets for the task. Maybe there are similar scientific works. Any other advice will be very usefull !

Thanks for attention!

Best regards,

Boris

• S1mas and ziggeman like this

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

You don't need to restrict your search to only comets, there are some programs that will detect anything that moves in your images.  I have used the software linked below and it is very quick to process your images and bring out the moving objects. 

https://www.cloudyni...ids-with-tycho/

• ziggeman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics