•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how many times you bought, sold, and rebought the same scope

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

Never figured out why, but I bought a scope, sold it, and bought another one just like it, sold it, did it twice again, for a total of 4 times in about 15 years.

• mattyfatz, Wisconsin Steve, steve t and 2 others like this

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:13 PM

Never sold one.

I keep them all, they are mine, all mine!!!! mrevil.gif

• jsiska, steve t, JoeVanGeaux and 2 others like this

#3 LightPollutedJim

LightPollutedJim

Lift Off

• Loc: Central NJ

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

I once bought a Lunt 60 tilt-tuned, sold it and then re-bought it. After a while I sold it to another person and considered re-buying it again! It's my boomerang scope. So, you're not alone. Like John Lennon once sang, "You don't know what you got until you lose it."

Jim
  • steve t likes this

#4 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

I bought a SV102ABV doublet apo new in 2008, sold it sometime around 2012, then rebought it in 2013 from the same guy I sold it to.  I bought a SV115 TMB/LZOS in 2012 (which I thought was going to be the replacement for the SV102ABV), but when I decided I wanted the SV102ABV back, I sold the SV115 to the guy to whom I sold (and then repurchased) the SV102ABV.  It helps to know people who are just as scope-crazy as you are, lol.  The SV102ABV eventually got resold for the final time in 2014, and I found a new SV115 TMB/LZOS near the end of 2020.  I think I'm done with shuffling around SV apos for now. grin.gif

• steve t and bulletdodger like this

#5 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

I sold a 10" Telescopics F/6 mirror to a friend locally.. Was down in the dumps for that unwise decision. 

He loved grinding his own mirrors. to make a long story short. I traded some eyepieces to get the mirror back/lol.gif  

• steve t likes this

#6 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

It is a disease, we're all afflicted.

Edited by Stellar1, 13 February 2021 - 04:50 PM.

• mattyfatz, jim kuhns, beanerds and 4 others like this

#7 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 13 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Did What????????????lol.gif

#8 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

I have only done that with orange C90s and Astroscans.  Keep hoping to find a really good sharp one, don’t. Play with them a while, sell them, forget they were not as sharp as I wanted, buy again a decade or so later, repeat.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 13 February 2021 - 05:04 PM.

#9 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:50 PM

I sold my Sears 2535 76mm refractor back in 76 then got it back on a trade in 1996. My B & L 4000 SCT went out the door back in the late 90s and another one came back last year. Other than that no other telescope sold has returned. BTW, the last B & L 4000 was far better than the first one. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#10 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:57 PM

In July of 1976 I clip out the small coupon  from the Criterion Ad in Sky and Telescope and  gave my Dad the $199 so he could write a me check and I then mail the order off  from my  RV-6 off.  The money came from cutting grass and working on a farm. I think it was in October when my RV-6 arrived. In the Fall of 1979 I started college and sold the the scope to a Dad who bought for his daughter.  It was 1987 and had started my career and I  noticed on the Employee Sales that there was telescope for sale. I could tell by the listing it was RV-6 so I jump to buy it. Well when the seller showed up with the scope it was my scope !  It was same person I had sold it too years before.   I fixed the clocked drive that never had a bolt hole threaded that got it tracking perfectly and a few years later refigured the primary. The mirror was basically a sphere with turned edge. It has now given me  many years of enjoyment and  I  use it  often  since it gives such great view and is so easy to use. 

- Dave 

• jim kuhns, astro140, Wisconsin Steve and 7 others like this

#11 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:39 PM

Never figured out why, but I bought a scope, sold it, and bought another one just like it, sold it, did it twice again, for a total of 4 times in about 15 years.

Celestron 8's?  About 19 times. 

Vernonscope 92/93, 3 times. 

Meade 12 inch LX200, 2 times. 

WO 66mm ED, 3x. 

Celestron 11, 2x. 

C90's, 3 times. 

ETX90, 5 times.

ETX105, 2 times.

ETX125, 3 times.

Questar 3.5, 2 times.

Meade ED102, 3 times.

Questar 7, 2 times.

#12 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

I have only done that with orange C90s and Astroscans.  Keep hoping to find a really good sharp one, don’t. Play with them a while, sell them, forget they were not as sharp as I wanted, buy again a decade or so later, repeat.

Dave

Same wC90. Except ... part of other deals. Swore them off. Except got one again in a deal for something else. Was selling it.

Turned out it was sharp. Decided to sell it anyways, because of low contrast “muddy” view, not unlike a 60mm refractor pushed past a .5mm exit pupil.

Fixed baffles and no more muddy. Cleaned NC threads of grease, lapped threads, applied thinnest oil I could find. Single finger focusing. Still no interest.

Have used it since.

#13 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:56 PM

I sold my original Deluxe Space Conqueror when I went to college. I didn't go looking for another one because I didn't like the mount. But shortly after I started building the loaner collection, a guy who is literally just around the corner from me, listed one on CL, so I couldn't resist. It's optically very nice, but I still find the mount to be a pain. When the scopes come in from loan in June, I have a plan to put it into a Dob mount, which I think will be better for student use.

Long ago, I sold a C90 and a C8, both from 1983, and a 1967 Tasco 9TE-5. I have no desire to replace any of them (maybe, if I can across one of the very early, helical focus C8's, I'd be tempted to try it, just for fun). 

Chip W. 

• orion999 likes this

#14 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:06 AM

I've been regretting selling my C90 back in September, but I can't find the record of the sale to contact the buyer to see if he would sell it back to me.

• Stevencbradley likes this

#15 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

I've never bought and resold a scope only to buy the same again, but have given several away. Of the very few scopes I've had there are only two which are the same, except for focuser; and those are Zeiss Telementor's, which are lifetime keepers.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#16 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

Don't count things I collect.

Tak FC-100 - three over the years

AP Star 12ED - three over the years

Questar 3.5s - four over the years

AP 130EDF - three over the years

AP 130EDT (f/8.35) - two over the years

Mayflower 76/80mm - two over the years

Meade 7" Mak - three over the years

Meade 90 ETX - four over the years

#17 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:09 PM

I guess  I am better at keeping things than some folks   but I did sell my TV Oracle to help raise money for my 4 inch fluorite affliction.... When it popped up for sale right here after 2.5 years  I had to buy it back.....sometimes  a scope finds  you..........again

I traded away my well used C-102    because I had three other 4 inch refractors   all fluorites     but later I realized that the C-102 was perfect for out reach    and bought one in excellent condition  this spring

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 14 February 2021 - 12:10 PM.

• oldmanastro and bulletdodger like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

The only ones I’ve done that with were ST120s and ST80s. I’ve bought and sold two or three of each over the years. I guess it’s because they’re one trick ponies but it’s a great trick that they do. I finally figured that out and decided to just stick with the two ATM RFTs that I built myself.

I was lying in bed the other night counting telescopes to put myself to sleep and I counted that I once had ten 60mm scopes. Three of them were Unitrons and two of them were Zeiss but they were different models. Anyway, I’m down the three keeper 60mm scopes now and I’m not planning on getting anymore. 

Edit! Oops! I did have two Orange C8s, one at a time, purchased at different times. The second one I sold for four times what I paid for it, so I guess I came out ahead for once! :lol:

Edited by Terra Nova, 14 February 2021 - 01:39 PM.

• oldmanastro and Defenderslideguitar like this

#19 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

I haven't sold any yet and other than one, I can't quite decide on which of the others to sell.

That said, I think it's normal to miss or want something once it's gone. The truth is that it's probably like nostalgia where you remember more of the good about things than the bad. Once I do sell some of them, I think I'll miss them in concept, but not in practice (storage!).

Here's my off the cuff psychological diagnosis. Perhaps the nostalgia of an item creates a repeat of the original yearning, hence the thrill of the hunt is also repeated. shrug.gif  

• grif 678, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:15 PM

Here's my off the cuff psychological diagnosis. Perhaps the nostalgia of an item creates a repeat of the original yearning, hence the thrill of the hunt is also repeated. shrug.gif  

Yes. A thrill that’s killed by the reality of packing and shipping.

• grif 678, gene 4181, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#21 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:08 PM

Haven't done it yet. But I miss my RV6 that I sold. If I saw a good one locally for sale I'd buy it.

Bill

• Terra Nova, oldmanastro and Defenderslideguitar like this

#22 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:57 AM

I've given away a lot of scopes that have returned when the recipient either moves to a larger aperture or decides the scope isn't getting used.

Personally speaking i've bought and sold a few (more than a dozen!) 60mm x 700/710's (Towa-Kenko) in the hope of finding a really good one to no avail. I own Carton Kenko Zeiss and Asahi in 1000,910,840 and 800mm focal lengths respectively, and wanted a 700/710 to cover the classic focal lengths but never found one that stood out. I kept a Sears Discoverer(Towa) but I've promised myself that i wont buy any more 60x700's.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#23 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

I've given away a lot of scopes that have returned when the recipient either moves to a larger aperture or decides the scope isn't getting used.

Personally speaking i've bought and sold a few (more than a dozen!) 60mm x 700/710's (Towa-Kenko) in the hope of finding a really good one to no avail. I own Carton Kenko Zeiss and Asahi in 1000,910,840 and 800mm focal lengths respectively, and wanted a 700/710 to cover the classic focal lengths but never found one that stood out. I kept a Sears Discoverer(Towa) but I've promised myself that i wont buy any more 60x700's.

Keep an eye out for a Mayflower or Manon made by APL in the 60x700 size. You won’t be disappointed! Admittedly, those are both USA brands, but they or something equivalent to a #814 might show up over on your side of the pond. The APL and also HOC and SYW 60x700s don’t disappoint.

Like this:

https://www.cloudyni...anon-from-1968/

Edited by Terra Nova, 15 February 2021 - 10:45 AM.

• rcwolpert, GreyDay, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#24 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:30 AM

I have purchased two Japan made 60mm Meade model 226, and also two Japan made 60mm Jason Discover model 313 with the built in reflex finder.

I did not seek either out, but they were available locally and just happened to come with a few accessories I needed/wanted at the time.The first Meade 226 was given to my nephew, and a few months later I found a 2nd one with a few accessories I could use.

The 2nd Jason model was also found with a few accessories I could also use, and was picked up just for that. I ended up just selling one of the two online and kept the extra parts I wanted. (I sold the nicer one that was in near mint condition, and the one I kept was originally in poor cosmetic condition. It was repainted / upgraded and refurbished for my own use.

1a.jpg

Now that I have a decent collection of random eyepieces and accessories, my 2nd hand scope purchases have really slowed down a lot. But if the opportunity ever presents itself locally where I can get a upgrade type of deal on something that I want or need, I'm always looking.

Sometimes its just cheaper to pick up a used scope package with a few parts you need, than to search out a few missing parts needed online and then purchase them individually. Most of the scopes I have picked up in the past, have not been for the scope itself, but for just a few needed parts that came with it.

In the past couple of years I have been able to build up a small collection of useful parts, that allows me to repair many of the cheaper damaged 2nd hand scopes I may find. I also sort out all the little nuts and bolts that may be used later.

1.JPG

Most of this lot was picked up in thrift shops, on damaged scopes, that cost less then 10$ a scope. Often times a few parts were sold online to cover the original scope purchase. (Like EQ mounts, Vintage metal focusers, and a few duplicate clean plossl or MA eye pieces).

I also gave several repaired scopes away to friends children. The best parts end up on my scopes, duplicates of well performing stuff gets sold, and the 2nd tier decent serviceable stuff goes free to people I know. The rest of the junk gets stored away until I may need a weird threaded bolt or fastener for a new project.

Edited by Mbinoc, 15 February 2021 - 01:14 PM.

• Bonco2, oldmanastro, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#25 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:59 PM

Keep an eye out for a Mayflower or Manon made by APL in the 60x700 size. You won’t be disappointed! Admittedly, those are both USA brands, but they or something equivalent to a #814 might show up over on your side of the pond. The APL and also HOC and SYW 60x700s don’t disappoint.

Like this:

https://www.cloudyni...anon-from-1968/

plus one on the Manon     and   he knows his scopes and can pack and ship with the best of them, I can personally attest to...

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics