•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rtalaga

rtalaga

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

Just wondering how the following configuration would do for deep sky imaging. I was thinking of using a ZWO ASI2600MC ona RASA 11. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:48 AM

It's a good match.

But may I ask have you done astro imaging before ?

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:10 AM

Just wondering how the following configuration would do for deep sky imaging. I was thinking of using a ZWO ASI2600MC ona RASA 11. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Expanding on the post above.

It would do fine for IMAGING.

BUT, you need to differentiate two things.  There's imaging, and there's learning to image.

For learning to image, the best scope is simple.  It gets out of your way, and lets you learn the complicated techniques better/faster/cheaper.

Good mount.  Small refractor.  Breakfast of Champions.  <smile>

Scroll down to the picture of the very experienced, very expert author of this (recommended) book.  That's a $500 70mm refractor on a $1200 Sirius (aka HEQ5Pro) mount.  He did not choose those because he had them lying around.  <smile>  For $1700 plus camera, it's about the optimal setup for learning DSO AP.

https://www.astropix...bgda/index.html

The mount is the most important part of the setup, NOT the scope or the camera.  And it's unintuitive what a "good enough" mount costs.  So beginners make two mistakes, over and over again. 

An inadequate mount.  Too big a scope.  Often they make both.

Avoid them, and you're in for a _much_ easier, much more enjoyable time.  Here's a talented beginner, looking back on his first year.

"First and foremost is listen to the folks who have been there. The philosophy of 80MM APO and good $1500-2000 mount is great advice for beginners. Sure you can possibly image as a beginner with something that is larger or that you may have but holy cow its hard enough with something small."

And another beginner.

"If you took away all my equipment and experience and I had to start from scratch, I'd spend much more on my first mount and much less on my first OTA, bigger mount and smaller scope.  I'd get a mount that I could grow into, and a scope that I didn't have to worry about, and spend my time learning how to acquire and process astrophotography."

Key facts.  Dustin Johnson's clubs will not put you on the PGA tour.  <smile>  This is almost certainly more complicated, and harder, than you think.

The Achilles heel of CN advice is experienced imagers recommending stuff more suited to experienced imagers.

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 February 2021 - 10:20 AM.

#4 rtalaga

rtalaga

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:36 PM

I've been using a Canon 6d with the RASA for the past 2 years. Wondered how much I'd gain if I went to a ZWO ASI2600MC?

#5 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:42 PM

You will see a difference in quality and ease of processing with a cooled camera.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 rtalaga

rtalaga

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:44 PM

Thank you all for the information.

I believe I will move up to a ZWO ASI2600mc from my current Canon 6d. It does a good job but I feel it could be better. The 6d is used with the RASA for DSOs while I use a 180mm Mak plus ZWO ASI224mc for planets. The mount is a CGX-L.

Processing is done mostly with Pixinsight and Nebulosity.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics