•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for a large aperture achromat telescope.(solar imaging)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Slovenia

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

Hi!

So I just recently got myself a new toy, a daystar quark -chromosphere. While it works flawlessly on my 115mm triplet I would preffer not using it for solar imaging because I don't want the intense sunlight damage the optics in any way possible. I will use my 80mm doublet instead but I want to do some high resolution imaging and I have seen people taking great images using F8 120mm achromats like the celestron one.

I have been looking everywhere and all of the 110 - 150mm ~f8 achromats are either sold out or not in stock for another ~2 months (bresser). Besides that I searched for used ones and no luck. If there is one available I want it to be in Europe.

Are there any other options or do I just have to wait a few months and  meanwhile check the market every day?

Clear skies!

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:20 AM

Your 115mm triplet could observe the Sun all day and nothing would happen to it. The heat is NOT concentrated on the optics. Just remember to use a 2" UV/IR filter in front of the diagonal to protect the Quark from too much heat. I use my Quark on a 152mm APM ED, with a 2" Baader UV/IR filter in front of the 2" diagonal, and it works great. 

I also have a 152mm achromat, that I've also used for solar observing, and the views are equally good, except I have to stop it down a little, due to turned down edge. 

As for the current delivery situation, the only alternative to waiting a few months, is to find a used telescope. They do pop up now and then. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• eros312, R_Huntzberry, MartinPond and 1 other like this

#3 starbug

starbug

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Germany

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:45 PM

https://www.teleskop...-mit-Optik.html

In stock

• BoskoSLO likes this

#4 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Slovenia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

Yeah I have my eyes on that scope as well. I will keep my eyes on the used market for now and when summer is about to hit I may buy this scope from teleskop express.

#5 starbug

starbug

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Germany

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:21 AM

I might want to sell mine, which is almost unused due to the weather in the couple of last months here. Originally I ordered the Bresser, which was in back order and the delivery date moved every week, so I lost my patience and ordered the Celestron, which was in-stock. Wanted to cancel the order for the Bresser after Celestron arrives. Both were at my door same day. Now I have 2, one of them is obsolete. As mentioned, I didn't have the chance to compare them optically, but like the mechanics (Tube, focuser) of the Bresser much more, even though it's much heavier.

#6 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:22 AM

You might put a post on the “Solar Observing and Imaging” page.  A lot of smart folks with solar imaging experience lurking over there.

• LDW47 likes this

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

For some reason I thought doublets were safe for solar (with appropriate filtration on the back end) while triplet was not so safe. Not positive about that though.

Scott

#8 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

For some reason I thought doublets were safe for solar (with appropriate filtration on the back end) while triplet was not so safe. Not positive about that though.

Scott

A triplet works just fine for solar observing. I used a TMB 100/800 triplet for solar observing with a Herschel wedge, as well as Quark Chromosphere (not at the same time, obviously!), and both worked fine.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark 

#9 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:50 PM

Yes. Years ago, I used a 4" F8 Tak triplet for solar observing and imaging in white light and H-alpha and it worked superbly!! I got my best and sharpest images ever of the solar disk, sunspots, faculae, and prominences.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics