•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Under 80mm

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:26 PM

So, one more question on this quest, that seems that will never end, when new scopes are on the market.

What is, these days, the best apochromatic telescope or telescopes, that you can buy, under 80mm , especially  made for astrophotography and also having in mind , a "nomad astrophotography"?smile.gif

Thanks

Edited by Emanuel, 18 February 2021 - 03:05 PM.

• teashea likes this

#2 aleigh

aleigh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:41 PM

Nobody is going to agree on "best", but Takahashi will happily take your coin for a FOA-60Q.

• eros312, Emanuel and teashea like this

#3 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

Which is the best depends also on the camera and mount you want to use.

In the 60mm class I think that the Vixen FL55ss bundled with its dedicated flattener and reducer is probably one of the best.

Optically it is excellent, and the very clever design makes it truly convenient to use.

Another sound option is the Takahashi FS60 but compared to the Vixen comes with a worse focuser and its reducer/flattener is less good on FF sensors; it is however a bit cheaper.

Mind that if are into deep sky AP you DO NOT want the f/10 FS60Q but the "plain" FS60CB.

Personally chose the Vixen FL55

The Takahashi FC76DF is technically under 80mm, but much less portable than those above (and in fact not that smaller than the FC100DF), but once are looking into this size the fsq85 is much more interesting if are searching something "especially made for AP"..

• Emanuel likes this

#4 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:15 PM

Takahashi FC-76.

• Emanuel and teashea like this

#5 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:56 PM

Takahashi FC-76.

Yikes, that's a bit of money!

But the OP did say "best"!

• Emanuel likes this

#6 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, i did say the best. Well, the story goes like this: i want a highly portable setup for astrophotography. I started by replacing the mount, an Ioptron IEQ45 Pro, for the RST 135 with a carbon fiber tripod. Now, i want to replace my FSQ 106 for a smaller, but high quality scope, that can make me forget the outstanding quality of the FSQ.
Its funny, but all this years i never look seriously into Vixen scopes. I did had the Sphinx mount, some years ago, but i always had the idea that the scopes were overpriced. Now that you guys mention the Fl55 , i saw some reviews and video, and im starting to have a different idea.
And the Fc76 can make a good imaging scope? Even if it is a F/7,5 ?
What about Borg scopes? I dont see so many guys using this scopes on astrophotography. The Borg 55 looks very nice. Or the 72mmm.
As for camera, i was thinking on the Zwo 533 controlled by the Asi air pro.

Edited by Emanuel, 18 February 2021 - 06:24 PM.

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:44 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, i did say the best. Well, the story goes like this: i want a highly portable setup for astrophotography. I started by replacing the mount, an Ioptron IEQ45 Pro, for the RST 135 with a carbon fiber tripod. Now, i want to replace my FSQ 106 for a smaller, but high quality scope, that can make me forget the outstanding quality of the FSQ.
Its funny, but all this years i never look seriously into Vixen scopes. I did had the Sphinx mount, some years ago, but i always had the idea that the scopes were overpriced. Now that you guys mention the Fl55 , i saw some reviews and video, and im starting to have a different idea.
And the Fc76 can make a good imaging scope? Even if it is a F/7,5 ?
What about Borg scopes? I dont see so many guys using this scopes on astrophotography. The Borg 55 looks very nice. Or the 72mmm.
As for camera, i was thinking on the Zwo 533 controlled by the Asi air pro.

I used the FC-76 for imaging and it was pretty decent. 

• Emanuel likes this

#8 aleigh

aleigh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

I am trying to imagine the use-case where you need to essentially backpack in a scope for the purposes of imaging... Or is this a #vanlife situation?

• Jaimo! and Emanuel like this

#9 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:47 AM

Well, it is really a question of trying to get the most of my time. I do have a very particular situation, due to my job, and im always travelling from one side to another. That means that my annual imaging sessions are very, very short, because i could never carry my previous mount, scope and acessories with me. Now, carrying the mount is a joke, the RST 135 is super light. But i still need to do the same with the scope. So, its all a question of trying to increase the number of imaging sessions per year.

#10 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:24 AM

I have the fc100df which has the same mechanics of the 76DF, and the 76d reducer.
In my opinion the FL55 is better mechanically, less "clumsy" (better focuser, less adapters) and the 76d reducer does not handle very well FF sensors.
Of course there is a pretty large difference about focals and overall size: the FL55 is 1kg heavy and ca 30cm long, plus its very short focal allows unguided imaging, saving further weight.
The fc76 is more than twice the size and thrice the weight; furthermore its 400mm focal @f/5.5 is more demanding for unguided imaging.
  • Emanuel likes this

#11 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

Somebody hereabouts wrote that Borg is getting out of telescopes to concentrate on other optical instruments.  Don't know if that's true or it would affect you; just FYI.

• Emanuel likes this

#12 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:48 AM

Really???shocked.gif

#13 bokemon

bokemon

Ranger 4

• Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

Williams Optics GT71?  I dunno, I have one, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

• Emanuel likes this

#14 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:51 PM

SW 72ED APO. Put a field flattener in one and prepare to be amazed. (And for a lot less $$$ than a Tak) waytogo.gif

Edited by BlueMoon, 19 February 2021 - 07:54 PM.

• Emanuel likes this

#15 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:36 PM

'Best'   telescope to me is  based on the individuals eye when they look through it.   'Absolute best' is the one that looks the best based on your budget.  

When I was little, in grade school, I had to go to the eye Dr.  I was asked to read the eye chart, I did, and after I read it I asked the doctor  "Did I get it right??"   he answered yes, you told me what you saw.   I have been wearing Coke bottle glasses ever since.            Joe 

• payner, eros312, Emanuel and 1 other like this

#16 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

I have used the AT65EDQ as my 420mm focal length refractor. It's a quad so no flattener needed. Back focus is too short for visual use of 2 inch eyepiece and diagonal. I only use it under dark skies at rural star parties. I use a 10 inch f/4 newtonian from my light polluted backyard. I also use larger refractors at dark sites depending on the size of the target.

• Emanuel likes this

#17 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:33 PM

The best 60mm telescope is the Takahashi FOA60Q.  It is the best corrected refractor in the world.  You can search here on CN and find the test reports.  They are amazing.  

• Emanuel likes this

#18 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:51 AM

Yes, i know. The FOA 60 must be, visually, an awesome scope to look through, but im looking for a imaging scope, and the very long focal length of the FOA, its not so good. WO GT 71 is nice, maybe the Star 71, that its a quad, its even better. I dunno, all suggestions are nice, i need to make up my mind :)

Edited by Emanuel, 20 February 2021 - 12:51 AM.

• teashea likes this

#19 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:50 AM

Somebody hereabouts wrote that Borg is getting out of telescopes to concentrate on other optical instruments.  Don't know if that's true or it would affect you; just FYI.

Have you got or can you find a copy of this writing ?

• Emanuel likes this

#20 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:01 PM

Yes, i know. The FOA 60 must be, visually, an awesome scope to look through, but im looking for a imaging scope, and the very long focal length of the FOA, its not so good. WO GT 71 is nice, maybe the Star 71, that its a quad, its even better. I dunno, all suggestions are nice, i need to make up my mind smile.gif

A quad would be better for you for AP

• Emanuel likes this

#21 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:42 PM

That takes me to my next question. How does the new kids on the block, well, maybe not so new, compare to this so called " best scopes".  Red Cat 51, TS/Sharpstar 61, WO GT 71, WO Star 71 , and so on? Are  Fluorite doublet better or the other way around? question.gif

What about the Vixen FL55 : Can it be motorized?

Edited by Emanuel, 20 February 2021 - 03:56 PM.

#22 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:39 PM

Have you got or can you find a copy of this writing ?

Off topic, I know, but Ted Ishikawa said he was discussing the annual forecast with Borg just "a couple days ago", so I don't think any such change is imminent.

• Emanuel likes this

#23 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

Off topic, I know, but Ted Ishikawa said he was discussing the annual forecast with Borg just "a couple days ago", so I don't think any such change is imminent.

Thats what I thought !

• Emanuel likes this

#24 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:18 PM

The FL55 has a rack and pinion focuser (optionally with 7:1 dual speed, which is the same accessory used for the other Vixen refractors except the VSD), so guess would be not too troublesome to adapt it to your motor.

As for the other question, what IMHO makes the FL55 to stand out for the purpose of widefield imaging is not much its excellent objective (for the task there is little need for such high degree of SA correction and smoothness, a "lesser" objective would be just as good) but the ingenuity of the whole system and its careful manufacture.

• Emanuel and teashea like this

#25 durak

durak

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

I hope this is just a rumor and proves to be untrue. 

• Emanuel likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics