•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Under 80mm

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

I hope this is just a rumor and proves to be untrue. 

Read post #22 !

• Emanuel likes this

#27 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:32 PM

It's hard to believe that unfounded rumors and opinions would be present on the internet...  I thought everything on CN was gospel.  thinking1.gif

I have been using a WOZ61 (same as the AT60ED, Apetura 60mm and the TS-Optics PhotoLine 60 mm) ia a FLP-53 doublet for about a year.  I can fit this scope, flattener, guide scope & camera, ASIair in a 16" x 12" x 6" Pelican knockoff case.  The Sharpstar 61 EDPH or Radian Raptor are a similar size and is a step up as they are triplets.  The Z61 and an old CG-5 ASGT that lives in the trunk of my car, I can be at this local park in minutes.  Image scale need to be considered, as the Z61 has a focal length of 360mm while the Z81 has a focal length of 555mm, very different depending on your target.  

Sorry not everything in in the case right now, I have absconded with the ASIair and ASI120mm for another rig...

PXL_20210222_022647185 - small.jpg

• Emanuel and duck2k like this

#28 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, i see your point.
My question is: why should i get, for example, a Raptor, that in Europe costs as much as 1300 euros, if im not mistaked, or something like that, and with no lenses specifications, which is the worst, and for the same price, or very similar, i can get a Tak 60 or a Vixen 55 or even a Borg 55? All with fluorite lenses!!
You know what im talking about? Its very strange that some manufacturers place a product on the market, to compete with others, and place a price that from my point of view is just absurd.
And at the end, it just makes everything more confuse, for anyone looking for a new scope πŸ˜‘

#29 zirkel 2

zirkel 2

Mariner 2

• Loc: France

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:38 AM

If Orion brand had released the 80 ED with a better focuser and a new generation finish, it was a guaranteed best seller again.
I proposed, never done ...

...I insist, the optics of this refractor are excellent, 10 years that I practice with ... no separation planned 😁

Edited by zirkel 2, 22 February 2021 - 06:43 AM.

• Emanuel likes this

#30 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:13 PM

All of this discussion make me question (I am a noob imager)...  At such a low amount of magnification, focal lengths below 360mm, will a triplet make a significant difference over a FLP-53 doublet?  Kind of a Sharpstar 61 EDPH vs. AT60ED comparison, their rebrands are included.  Also in this category, are there a number of telephoto camera lenses that could accomplish the same thing? 

• Emanuel likes this

#31 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:20 PM

Thats a very good question. Even more as  triplets, when used for imaging, very often are used with a flattner or reducer to better control CA and other problems. The same can be done with a doublet and a corrector. Dont know exactly if it is the same  level of correction, probably not. Usually the higher the price, the better the product....usually.

But, as i dont have a real experience on this, i cannot say for sure smile.gif

Edited by Emanuel, 22 February 2021 - 01:20 PM.

#32 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:06 PM

Question: is it possible to use the ZWO EAF focuser on the Vixen FL55SS ??confused1.gif

#33 duck2k

duck2k

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 10:01 AM

I have been researching (just researching) great setups for WO Z61 and DSLR. So far I found something interesting. This setup depends on one’s budget.

Check out this link: https://astrobackyar...star-61-review/

You have to scroll down to check out the setup. Just thought I would share this with the OP.

:)

• Emanuel likes this

#34 Fotozone

Fotozone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 AM

I have the Radian Rapture 61mm and really like it. it is extremely portable and very sharpe IQ.

• rerun and Emanuel like this

#35 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Well, like i said before, i cannot buy anything that the manufactured does not present the specs, and the Raptor is one of those. Out of the question for me.
The ZS61 looks really nice. Its also a good option 😊

#36 knight_parn

knight_parn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Peterborough, UK

Posted Yesterday, 12:17 PM

What about the 72mm f/6 fpl53 doublet? I've got the Altair version. TS Optics, AT and WO all offer the same scope (in the case of WO it's again 1mm extra as usual). Very light and compact. I use it as a terrestrial scope with an erecting image diagonal as well as a widefield imaging scope with a reducer.

Edited by knight_parn, Yesterday, 12:17 PM.

• Emanuel likes this

#37 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Also nice option. I was really looking more to the triplet side, although the Vixen FL55SS is a doublet, but is fluorite.

A friend just advice me the new scope from Omegon, which is not so new, its made by Sharpstar, but, after consulting Astroshop, they told me that it is a FPL 53 Triplet objective with a Triplet 0,8X reducer. Looks nice...

https://www.astrosho...-ed-ota/p,69473

#38 duck2k

duck2k

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 01:45 PM

The scope looks like an AT60, AP60, or even a Z61. Is triplet really necessary? The link I provided, the shots were of quality in nature. Z61 is a doublet. Am I missing something?hmm.gif

Edited by duck2k, Yesterday, 01:47 PM.

#39 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Also nice option. I was really looking more to the triplet side, although the Vixen FL55SS is a doublet, but is fluorite.

A friend just advice me the new scope from Omegon, which is not so new, its made by Sharpstar, but, after consulting Astroshop, they told me that it is a FPL 53 Triplet objective with a Triplet 0,8X reducer. Looks nice...

https://www.astrosho...-ed-ota/p,69473

This scope looks like a rebranded Sharpstar 61 EDPF or Radian Raptor.

• Emanuel and Hesiod like this

#40 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

My SVR90T/FTQ/Gitzo5541LS setup is small enough for one handed grab and go. It is also small enough to carry on a plane with my wife and I sharing the parts.

My only smaller refractor is the AT65EDQ that I use for wider true field of view imaging.

• Emanuel likes this

#41 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Question: is it possible to use the ZWO EAF focuser on the Vixen FL55SS ??confused1.gif

I do not know but am pretty sure that if ask directly to Vixen they will answer (can mail directly them in Japan from the website, or try with the local dealer).
  • Emanuel likes this

#42 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 PM

The refractor that i mentioned is the 76mm, not the 61mm, but, Omegon also have the 61mm and all of them are made from Sharpstar.
Anyway, i contacted Astroshop, and they replay that this specific model, the 76mm, has FPL-53 lenses, despite the fact that on Sharpstar website there's no mention to the type of glass.
As for the Vixen, i will inquire.

Edited by Emanuel, Yesterday, 03:01 PM.

• Jaimo! likes this

#43 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:54 PM

The scope looks like an AT60, AP60, or even a Z61. Is triplet really necessary? The link I provided, the shots were of quality in nature. Z61 is a doublet. Am I missing something?hmm.gif

On this aspect i  cannot comment. I never had a doublet, so i cannot say. Maybe someone can tell......

#44 knight_parn

knight_parn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Peterborough, UK

Posted Yesterday, 06:38 PM

The refractor that i mentioned is the 76mm, not the 61mm, but, Omegon also have the 61mm and all of them are made from Sharpstar.
Anyway, i contacted Astroshop, and they replay that this specific model, the 76mm, has FPL-53 lenses, despite the fact that on Sharpstar website there's no mention to the type of glass.

When FPL-53 elements were used in a lens, nearly all manufacturers would mention it in the specs. This includes Sharpstar. For example their AL-107PH (my APM 107 is a rebrand of this) was a FPL53 triplet and they clearly state that in the specs on their website. However for the new 61EDPH II, 76EDPH and 94EDPH they do not say that. In fact on TS Optics website they clearly say the lens in the 94EDPH is comparable to a FPL53 triplet implying it uses another type of ED glass.

Having said that a non FPL53 triplet can still achieve amazing performance. The design, polishing, figuring, mating elements and lens cell all play important parts.

Edited by knight_parn, Yesterday, 06:42 PM.

#45 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Sorry Emanuel, you are absolutely correct.  It LOOKS like the 61mm, but alas it is a 76mm...  nice scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics