•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Selsi 247 80x910 find

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:24 PM

Even though we had about 10" of snow two days ago, I was able to drive about 25 miles to pick up this telescope.

I wasn't looking for a new scope, but you know, it happens.

This telescope is a Selsi 247 80mm x 910mm APL.  The scope belonged to the sellers father-in-law.  It is in very good condition, and it was, as I understand, used a lot.

I believe that it was made in the early 60's.  The design of the box reminds me of the 60mm 1957 Space Scope that I had.  I have the original instruction manual and the warranty registration card, but there aren't any dates.  The Selsi Company was in Carlstadt, NJ.

Selsi 247 label.jpg

The kit includes 2 eyepieces, a 4mm and a 20mm; solar filter; prism diagonal; erector prism; 2x barlow; sun projection bracket and screen.  The barlow and sun screen still have their original wrappers.

Selsi box a.jpg

Selsi box c.jpg

The mount is complete, but there isn't a tripod.  This is the third scope I've gotten lately that is missing the tripod.  What do they do with them?  The mount's motions are nice and smooth.  I was very surprised about that.

Selsi 247 mount a.jpg

This is one of the scopes that the tube slides into it's shell, and it, the mount, and tripod all fold up somehow and fit into the wood box.  Surprisingly the tube isn't dented.  There are a few nicks in the paint, may be a couple small ones go to the metal, and I think most of them will rub out.

The focuser works smoothly.  I don't have to do anything to it.  The focuser can be fitted with a 1-1/4" VB.  The Selsi's focuser is almost identical to my ATCO focuser in it's design.

Next . . . .

Edited by Garyth64, 18 February 2021 - 08:46 PM.

• jim kuhns, astro140, mdowns and 9 others like this

#2 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

The lens is in excellent shape.  No scratches, clams, or fungus.  The picture shows it's condition with only a little dust.

Selsi 247 lens.jpg

The finder needs some work.  It's tube is badly scratched.  Even though there are 3 adjustment screws, some people don't know that there are 3 tiny set screws at the other end that also holds the finder.  It must be something APL does, as my Manon has them too.

The finder cross hairs are bent, but they can be fixed.

The finder mounts onto the focuser.  On some of these Selsi 247's the finder mount is on the tube like my ATCO 80x1200.

One interesting thing in comparing my ATCO 80x1200 to this Selsi 80x910, both are made my APL, and their lens cells are identical.

ATCO and Sellsi.jpg

In the above photo, you can see the difference in the length of both of the scopes.  The ATCO is much longer, but I like both their sizes.  Almost seems contradictory.

I like the long one because it's tube is longer than my Sears 6339a and my Tasco 10TE.  I just don't care for their long draw tubes.

I like the short one, because of it's size.

Selsi on ATCO.jpg

-I put the Selsi on the ATCO mount for a photo.

So now I have yet another scope that I need to get out under the stars for my first light with it.  I've read a lot of good things about these APL 80x910 lenses, I hope this one is a good one too.

Edited by Garyth64, 18 February 2021 - 08:40 PM.

• jim kuhns, catboat, mdowns and 8 others like this

#3 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:15 PM

Congratulations on your find! The telescope looks great and well taken care of. It exudes quality all over. The box has wooden inserts that may place it in the early 60s or late 50s. There was a point, maybe the mid 60s, when companies started using Styrofoam inserts except a few of them. 

• Garyth64 and AstroKerr like this

#4 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:19 PM

My Selsi 247 is HOC, and was bought by the original owner from a camera shop in Pittsburgh in 1961. He thought it had been in the window for about a year, because that's how long he spent saving up for it. APL came later. Perhaps the registry has some data on the transition. I know they stayed with APL for quite a while before switching to Towa. Mine, too, has the box that requires zen-like, origami-master consciousness to get it back into place. It's great that you have the tripod spacer. Most of them seem to have been lost at some point. 

My ATCO 1254 is also HOC, and similarly, has the same style and color of cell as the Selsi. They are both excellent 80mm scopes. The Selsi does show more color on bright objects, but it has a wider field than the ATCO.

Chip W. 

• Garyth64 and AstroKerr like this

#5 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

I only put the Selsi on the ATCO mount because the mount was already set up.

So here's a shot of the scope on it's own mount:

Selsi on its mount.jpg

What exactly is the name of this type of mount?

I really like these mounts, for my smaller scopes.    Each has it's own little differences.

The different brands that I have are Tasco, ATCO, Swift, and now Selsi.

Edited by Garyth64, 20 February 2021 - 11:39 AM.

• Terra Nova, Kasmos and AstroKerr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics