•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hey Lenny!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

Congrats on winning the Unitron 60 alt/az scope on *B*y!!! I think that was a fine deal on a true classic, especially with the Unihex and all the original eyepieces. We will expect a Lenny first light report. :bow:

As for myself, I won on the "Sight Instruments" 60mm f/15, which is actually a Mayflower 60mm fl 910 in as close to new condition as I have ever seen. It arrived today and, low and behold, I have clear sky.

Don :yay:

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

Congrats to you both.

As usual. the Unitron went for what I thought it would, no surprises there. I was surprised that the bidding for the 'Sight' went bonkers at the end. It looked to be complete and in excellent shape, but I wasn't sure of the origin. Is it a Mayflower rebadge?

Keith

#3 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

Keith,

It's actually a Mayflower (the focuser emblem says Mayflower). The Sight name came from the dealer/importer, Sight Instruments of Long Beach California of years ago. The dealers original data sheet (showing five models of Mayflower scopes they carried), business card, and prices were included. Unfortunately there was no date of purchase included, which would have been nice to know. The original price of the telescope new from the dealer was $275. I'm guessing it's a late 70's scope and it is complete, down to the original eyepiece wrapping paper. Oh, and the star test is text book.

Don

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

So...it appears good deals are still available on eBay. Sounds like you got a great one.

Keith

#5 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

I owned a Mayflower 60mm on a equatorial mount thirty years ago. It was a really nice scope and gave excellent images. :)

#6 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

I owned a Mayflower 60mm on a equatorial mount thirty years ago. It was a really nice scope and gave excellent images. :)

Mike,

This scope is consistent with your memory, it is excellent. I've owned several Unitron 60mm f/15 scopes and this Mayflower is optically as good or better than any Unitron I have owned, and at less than half the price. I love that kind of deal! :jump:

Don

#7 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

LOL!!! :roflmao:
You guys are a crackup!!! I thought I something of mine posted on spaceweather.com or something like that! I just won a Unitron, that's all!!! It really was just a last minute thing to pull!
Yes I will give a first light report as soon as it arrives!!
Ahem....

Hey as for Mayflower, I remember that one too! I remember drooling over those Sears refractors and then I remember seeing the Mayflower scopes somewhere...ahhhh I don't remember. My Mom used to get all those depatment store catalogs. I just really remember the Mayflower in that it resembled the Sears BUTTTT it came with a clock drive! Oh how I wanted a clock drive back then! This was in my
pre-Sky & Telescope days too, when I was about 12 or so. (1965).

#8 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

LOL!!! :roflmao:
You guys are a crackup!!! I thought I something of mine posted on spaceweather.com or something like that! I just won a Unitron, that's all!!!

Lenny,

Clearly at least one of us (me) ;)needs to get a life. Actually, winning any Unitron is always neat these days. I've had other scopes of same size as the Unitrons I've owned over the years that perform just as well as the Unitrons... but they aren't Unitrons. There always has been and, to me, always will be something special about a Unitron. I guess it must be all those early years of lusting after one, the magazine ads, etc. that still gets the "Hots for a Unitron" going. Main thing these days is to see them go into good and appreciative hands when they do come up.

Don

#9 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

Mike,

This scope is consistent with your memory, it is excellent. I've owned several Unitron 60mm f/15 scopes and this Mayflower is optically as good or better than any Unitron I have owned, and at less than half the price. I love that kind of deal! :jump:

Don [/quote]

Don,

I think I have the same scope under the Tasco 7TE badge, the predecessor to the 7TE-5. It looks identical to the Sight/Mayflower and my impression of the optics is that it is staggeringly sharp. Mine's not even in that good a shape, I just got done spray painting the tube over.....

Boy, that's an art. Took me 4 times sanding over drip marks before I gave up and said "good enuff !!" I'll have to put up a pic at some point.

Jae

#10 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

Hey guys! Did you also see the other Unitron Model 750 which is only a 50mm scope go for the same price of $520!!?? That too was a very nice looking instrument.
Go to eBay and key in item #140023649025 to see it.

#11 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hey guys! Did you also see the other Unitron Model 750 which is only a 50mm scope go for the same price of $520!!?? That too was a very nice looking instrument.
Go to eBay and key in item #140023649025 to see it.

A beautiful scope but YIKES! $520 for a 50mm scope... It looks like I won't be getting another Unitron for a long time. :bawling:

#12 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

Keith,

It's actually a Mayflower (the focuser emblem says Mayflower). The Sight name came from the dealer/importer, Sight Instruments of Long Beach California of years ago. The dealers original data sheet (showing five models of Mayflower scopes they carried), business card, and prices were included. Unfortunately there was no date of purchase included, which would have been nice to know. The original price of the telescope new from the dealer was $275. I'm guessing it's a late 70's scope and it is complete, down to the original eyepiece wrapping paper. Oh, and the star test is text book.

Don

Don,

Sight Instruments was founded by Roger Jesme in about 1963. He was first located on Pacific Coast Highway in Long Beach, CA. Roger was previously the vice-president of Coast Instrument,Inc., Long Beach, Ca, the "Home of the Treckerscope," until they went bankrupt in 1961. Roger was the son-in-law of Coast's founder, Ken Brown.

Sight Instruments is located in nearby Signal Hill, Ca. It has a website. Sight still manufacturers coin-operated telescopes and a line of fancy nautical telescopes. Here's a picture of the line-up from their website.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1133745-SITE INSTRUMENTS.jpg

#13 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:31 PM

Gosh are THEY BEE-YUU-TEE-FULL!!!!! :love:

#14 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

OK, here I go again- have any of you ever heard of folks cobbling two Unitrons (or Mayflowers, Tascos, etc.) together (refractors) to make a binocular??

Jess Tauber

#15 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Hi everybody...
Well I set up the Sears 60mm Model 6309 to look at the full Moon and it was very pretty and sharp. I thought....why not..... I put my son's Canon Powershot A530 camera in front of the eyepiece and shot the full moon through it. Now look at this! Proof is in the picture!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1137894-Moon-090706-Sears-6333-scop.jpg

#16 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:28 PM

Lenny,

WOW!!! A very impressive image capture!

I wish my 6333 was anywhere near as close in optical quality. The tube on mine is mint but optically sucks.

Don

#17 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

Sight Instruments was founded by Roger Jesme in about 1963. He was first located on Pacific Coast Highway in Long Beach, CA. Roger was previously the vice-president of Coast Instrument,Inc., Long Beach, Ca, the "Home of the Treckerscope," until they went bankrupt in 1961. Roger was the son-in-law of Coast's founder, Ken Brown.

Sight Instruments is located in nearby Signal Hill, Ca. It has a website. Sight still manufacturers coin-operated telescopes and a line of fancy nautical telescopes. Here's a picture of the line-up from their website.

Lew,

Thank you for the update on Sight Instruments. I did Google search but couldn't find a web site for them. Might you have one?

Don

#18 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

Lenny,
That's actually a 6309 and not a 6333. Impressive image is right !!

Don,
What is wrong with those 6333-A's ? I had the same experience and isn't Keith monkeying around with his new one ?
Jae

#19 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

Lenny ; I also set up my 60mm 6333-A tonight , side bye side with a 60mm Tasco.Much to my astonishment, the tasco kickjed the Sears scopes ****.I do not know why, but the Tasco was sharper, more contrasty, and it showed virtually zero color around the edge.
The Sears showed color badly, and the image was dimmer, and not as contrasty.
Jae said he had noticed the same useing the same two scopes.
Any ideas?????.

#20 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:08 PM

You didn't ask me but I will offer my opinion based on the two 6333 Sears scopes I have owned and several Tasco 60mm f/15 scopes I have owned: The vintage Sears scopes are not at all in the same class as the vintage Tasco scopes, and I suspect that is the reason you're seeing what you are seeing. Quite simply, they are inferior scopes, a hit and miss in so far as you might get a good one but may also not get a good one (this comes only from my experience with both, the Tasco being a much more quality consistent scope when compared to Sears scopes). Other's milage will vary, as we will no doubt find in response to this.

Lenny ; I also set up my 60mm 6333-A tonight , side bye side with a 60mm Tasco.Much to my astonishment, the tasco kickjed the Sears scopes ****.I do not know why, but the Tasco was sharper, more contrasty, and it showed virtually zero color around the edge.
The Sears showed color badly, and the image was dimmer, and not as contrasty.
Jae said he had noticed the same useing the same two scopes.
Any ideas?????.

#21 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:35 PM

Lenny,

What a great shot! I'm going to try that with mine.

Andy,

Both of my 60mm Sears scopes are slightly undercorrected, but it is subtle and the diffraction patterns are very round with no astigmatism or wedge noticed. Theoretically, up to 1/4 wave of correction error can be corrected with 1/4 wave defocus, so I've never considered the undercorrection a big deal. For stability, I like the Sears metal tripod with telescoping legs better than the Sears wooden tripod. The 76mm Tasco OTOH is an outstanding performer optically with excellent in and out of focus diffraction patterns. The mount is a real stinker, even though its obvious some careful thought went into it...the whole thing just doesn't come together well. None of the scopes show false color to any noticable degree until the usual higher powers are employed. The Tasco is my favorite lunar scope, but I use the others quite often too. Still, the extra 16mm helps. I suppose I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 7TE so I can do direct comparisons. All in the name of Science of course. :lol:

Don,

I think you're right about the Sears' hit-or-miss situation. The Tascos seem to draw the higher prices on the used market, and this may be why. Mine cost $200 new around 1965, and I paid $360 for it. I don't think I'd go that high on a Sears 3".

Keith

#22 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:13 AM

Lenny,

Well, here's the results of my absolute first attempt at astro photography. I could see more of the terminator than the picture shows here, probably due to blurring caused by holding the camera by hand. This is shot through one of my 60mm Sears with a 9mm B/TMB Planetary and a handheld Canon A620 in 'Auto'. I'm going to have to play around with the camera settings to improve the quality, but its obvious these little scopes can perform well, even if ther're not perfect.

Thanks for the idea.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 1138140-Copy of 60mm Sears BTMB 9mm Planetary 07 Sept 06 1045PM.JPG

#23 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

OK, this is better. Same setup as above, but with a 7mm B/TMB Planetary instead. No filter. This is 128x, about 53x/inch. This is also unedited, except for cropping and resizing.

The peaked crater on the limb is Humboldt.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 1138159-Copy of 60mm Sears 7mm BTMB Planetary 07 Sept 06 1130PM.JPG

#24 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:54 AM

Keith ; well my Sears has the all wood legs,(EQ) and the Tasco has all steel legs,(alt-az).
Both of these scopes were owned bye one person , and I just very recently took ownership of both, but he said the Tasco was better than the Sears,optically, too.
The only reasen the the Sears still resides on the better mount, is because it is so dern pretty , and also because it is a collectors item.I must admit Im sorta kinda thinking about figureing out how to work the Tasco so it is usable on the Sears mount,lol.Of course I bought it primareily so my grandson could have a scope to use so I wont.
IS it possible that any of these aberations Im seeing are due to the optics being out of collimation????

#25 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:59 AM

Hey Lenny; you trying to show us your sunny disposition???? :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics