•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hey Lenny!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#26 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:16 AM

Sunny, huh? Yea I guess you could say I am a sunny person! LOL!

Keith...as for the 3 inch Sears ... I don't agree with you. I still have one of the Model 4-6339A and sold the other one. Both have optics that are superb! They are much better units than the 60mm ones. I did a side by side analysis of both the Sears and a 3 inch Polarex/Unitron. Optics wre exactly the same. I used a Televue Nagler eyepiece to judge both of them.

Clear skies! :)

#27 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hi Lenny,

I must admit I haven't had any experience directly with the 3" Sears. :rainbow: I was only basing my opinion on heresay from over the years. (I saw yours when you put yours up for sale. Only supreme will kept me from making an offer.)

Keith

#28 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

tell "Will" to leave you alone , that was a dern nice scope he mde you miss out on, :roflmao: :foreheadslap:

#29 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

:grin: :lol:

Actually, I PMed Lenny about them when they were up for sale, but ultimately, I decided that I needed to wait for a 4" Tasco to come on the market.

Keith

#30 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

Sight Instruments was founded by Roger Jesme in about 1963. He was first located on Pacific Coast Highway in Long Beach, CA. Roger was previously the vice-president of Coast Instrument,Inc., Long Beach, Ca, the "Home of the Treckerscope," until they went bankrupt in 1961. Roger was the son-in-law of Coast's founder, Ken Brown.

Sight Instruments is located in nearby Signal Hill, Ca. It has a website. Sight still manufacturers coin-operated telescopes and a line of fancy nautical telescopes. Here's a picture of the line-up from their website.

Lew,

Thank you for the update on Sight Instruments. I did Google search but couldn't find a web site for them. Might you have one?

Don

Don, Here's the link. http://www.brasstele...com/default.asp

#31 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

Keith, a 4" Tasco ??? You might have to wait a long time !! :sleepy:

I agree with Lenny about the high quality of the Sears 76mm, I had it and you couldn't tell it apart from the Tasco. Even the mount when you unscrew the cap, the innards are the same !! Just that exterior shaft was added to the Sears mount. Not sure the name of the manufacturer but Siple says it was Astro Optical. So I'd pay as much for a Sears 76 as a Tasco 76.

Now as for the 60mm, the mount from Sears seems to have the same one as the 4.5" Towa reflectors. Not sure if the optics are Towa as their 80mm Towa's are really sharp. The Tasco 7TE's go for a lot more and based on one older one that I have, they are super sharp.

Jae

#32 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

Keith,

Those photos are actually quite good for your very first try at astrophotography. Certainly much better than my first try 20 years ago with film, which is why I remain a visual observer. :lol:

Don

#33 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

Lenny,

I have to agree with you on the 3" Sears scopes. My comments (hit and miss on quality) were intended for their 60mm scopes. The Sears 3" scopes are in a whole other ballpark, much better and far more consistent in quality than the 60mm scopes, at least the later blue 60mm scopes.

Don

#34 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

Lew,

Thank you for the web site. I found the Glass Eye via a Google search for Sight Instruments but their web page must have been burried deeper than I had time to go through somewhere in that search. Truly some beautiful scopes, and American made at that. Unfortunately out of touch financially for me for a 60mm scope, but I sure would love to visit their facility to see them first hand.

Best regards,

Don

#35 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:35 AM

Don,

If you click on the www/brasstelescopes.com link again, then click on the ALL WEATHER TELESCOPES link, you will see all that's left of the Sight Instruments part of the company. It is their coin-operated telescope division.

Coast Instrument, Inc. started in business manufacturing coin-operated telescopes in 1948. It didn't get into astronomcial scopes until about 1955 and didn't start marketing the Treckerscope until 1956. After Coast Instrument went bankrupt in 1961, its vice-president started Sight Instruments in about 1963, which eventually split off to become "The Glass Eye," manufacturer of New Bedford-style terrestrial telescopes.

So, in a sense, "The Glass Eye" is the direct descendant of Coast Instrument, Inc.

#36 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

Here's a shot this morning (clouds last night) using the 3" Tasco. I'm going to have to weigh down the tripod with some weights tonight because of all the jiggling This was the only 1 out of 12 or so that was even remotely passable. I guess I'm going to have to get a camera mount. (Oh no, more accessories! See what you've gotten me into Lenny? Its all your fault.:smirk:)

Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 1140209-Copy of 76mm Tasco 7mm BTMB Planetary 09 Sept 06 700AM.JPG

#37 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:41 PM

Keith,
If you're hand holding the camera that's not too bad. Using a camera tripod or monopod to steady the camera will help tremendously. Just takes more time to align everything.
Bonco

#38 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Hmmmm that is a very nice picture! Yup. I'll admit it's my fault! But hey, I gotcha started!!!! Now you get the camera adapter, then it's a webcam, then it's filters, then it's a autoguider you need, then it's software for processing the images, etc. etc. etc...and THEN you're obsessed like the rest of us! It's a great obsession..expensive but GREAT!!!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

#39 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

Ok......with a little help from a friend....the 60mm Unitron

Attached Thumbnails

• 1140823-DSC009491adjusted (Large).jpg

#40 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

Same image a bit larger

Attached Thumbnails

• 1140836-moon cut (Large).jpg

#41 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

Jae ; that is a super nice photo.Straight thru???.its very contrasty.

#42 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:04 AM

Them 60mm scopes can sure kick out the pictures alright. I tried to capture a pic tonight of the whole of the terminator with the 5.5" McHugh refractor (Nemoscope) at about 80x. Lots of detail, but I'm still amazed at what the smaller scopes can get too.

Keith (OK, I'm done hijacking the thread...but this is so exciting!)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1141146-5.5in McHugh Refractor 18mm OU Ortho 09 Sept 06 930PM.JPG

#43 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

It's been a pleasure to lurk in this thread. Nice lunar shots. I'll have you bunch of classic scope nuts to thank when the CFO jumps my case for buying a camera adapter! ;)

After the bruises heal, I'll order a remote shutter release for my Minolta film 35mm SLR. Then, once I regain consciousness, I can start taking pictures! :blackeye:

Seriously though.....nice photos! :waytogo:

Clear dark vintage skies...

MikeG

#44 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

Jae ; that is a super nice photo.Straight thru???.its very contrasty.

Andy,

It was through a Unihex prism diagonal and a meade 26mm or a TV 20 plossl. The original was less contrasty then our mutual Sears buddy did a unmask something and adjusted contrast with Adobe Photoshop. Must have done a flip left to right as well.

Now I'm thinking.....gotta get that software and start monkeying around. Oh oh :shocked: sounds like the digital photo addiction that people have.....I have a bad enough classic scope addiction... :grin:

#45 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

Jae ; the software varies from one progrsm to the next I use PSP ( PAINT SHOP PRO) , I think it was unsharp mask,I also took the same picture or very similiar with my 8inch sct, you can check it out in the lunie bin.I looks identical to yours , accept that with my mirror reversed view Mare crisium is on the opposite side of the surface, hence my reason for asking if it was straight thru, probably actually could be binocular view, (correct left to right as well as north south????)

#46 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

Andy,

Nah, yours looks a lot better !! It has that ummph of 8 inches aperture....like power to spare. Mine is sqeaking out every last power of a 60mm. I played with a free software that came with my Sony P200 but it's limited.

Nice photo.....

Jae

#47 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

Great pics- now if we could just add some nice blue oceans, some greenery in the highlands, and clouds.

Jess Tauber

#48 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:15 PM

OK, here I go again- have any of you ever heard of folks cobbling two Unitrons (or Mayflowers, Tascos, etc.) together (refractors) to make a binocular??

Jess, kindly send me two Unitron refractors and I would be happy to try!

;)

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#49 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:31 AM

Ok Sears update, after my last post , I got a lot of advise , ideas to try etc. I tried all of em.I also tried some of my old timey "majic" , several years ago, I had a refractor that was not collimated properly, and it wasnt a collimatable cell, so a freind said , what would happen if you loosened the lens slightly and tapped the lens. would it settleinto place??, so I did it and it worked ,so I did that to this one too, I also recleaned the lens, checked the focuser for square.tonight I took it out, and before the clouds rolled in again, I did a star test on it, the out of focuse rings are almost round, maybe a tad flattened but yould have to look to notice it.
I also got to look at the moon but not a full moon this time ,the color I saw so well the last time was gone.I m useing only newer plossl eps, with a hybrid diagonal.The hybrid diagonal is as cheap as it gets so I can only imagine how much better the images could be with a good one.

#50 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

Jae ;picture before with Jaes permission

Attached Thumbnails

• 1142743-Jaes before.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics