•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI Air PRO on Home Wifi?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

The ASI Air pro is pretty awesome. Images refresh nicely and they dont hang and the mount is running smooth. BUT, Im having a problem that I cannot figure out.

Im trying to connect the ASI Air to my home wifi, but in order to access the ASI Air, I need to connect into its hotspot.  So how do I disconnect my phone, an iphone 12 pro, and then re connect over home wifi?

I can find my wifi network and connect when Im close to the scope/ASI Air but as soon as I walk away it disconnects form my phone.. 

Kinda driving me crazy. Luckily it seems to keep running even after I loose connection. 

• hornjs likes this

#2 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:54 PM

Wes sounds like you are trying to setup "Station Mode." In the ASI document, this is method #2...

https://astronomy-im...rk-updated.html

I don't have experience, as I haven't done this yet to my home network, but after looking to do EAA from inside the house (i live in MT) my research has shown me that MANY people with the AAP have difficulty connecting to their home WIFI through station mode due to extremely poor range of the AAP unit (beyond 4 - 5 feet).  

Most solve this problem with a wifi range extender attached to the ethernet port of the AAP on the mount.  The units they specifically say work very well include the Slate  or TPlink travel wifi extenders.  

Hope this helps.  

• calypsob and Seaquel47 like this

#3 mrlovt

mrlovt

Messenger

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

Yes, station mode is what you are asking about.  However, this might work better:  The wifi antenna for the ASIair is extremely weak.  You'll likely have better success connecting it directly to a travel router via the ethernet port, or putting a router/extender near the mount and connecting the ASIair by wifi.  In either case, you'll use the travel router to connect to your home network instead of the ASIair directly. 

I use a wired ethernet connection to the GL Slate referenced above, then from there to my home network.  From there I access the ASIair on my laptop using BlueStacks android emulator.  It works extremely well.

Edited by mrlovt, 19 February 2021 - 10:17 PM.

• calypsob and hornjs like this

#4 base16

base16

Vostok 1

• Loc: North California

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:18 PM

The Wi-Fi radio is not very strong in the current model of ASIAIR Pro.

The way I have it is I run a Ethernet cable to the ASIAIR Pro from my home router; I have a few ethernet outlets all around my home but you could choose to run a really long cable directly from ASIAIR Pro into the router as well. 

Once you have it on your home network, your app running on the phone and connected to your home Wi-Fi will be able to detect the ASIAIR Pro on the same network. This way you can roam all around your home and still have excellent signal strength to be able to transfer pictures, if you're doing live-stacking for instance.

#5 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:21 PM

Yea you guys are correct, its the station mode thats not working. Outside on my freezing porch it finds my network but when I go inside it disconnects. Looks like $279 is not enough to quite get you in the door. Now I get to turn around and buy an antennae. Oh well at least I know it will work better, the way it was working even on 2.4ghz with my 2600 was awesome. 

Edited by calypsob, 20 February 2021 - 03:12 PM.

• hornjs likes this

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

Wes sounds like you are trying to setup "Station Mode." In the ASI document, this is method #2...

https://astronomy-im...rk-updated.html

I don't have experience, as I haven't done this yet to my home network, but after looking to do EAA from inside the house (i live in MT) my research has shown me that MANY people with the AAP have difficulty connecting to their home WIFI through station mode due to extremely poor range of the AAP unit (beyond 4 - 5 feet).  

Most solve this problem with a wifi range extender attached to the ethernet port of the AAP on the mount.  The units they specifically say work very well include the Slate  or TPlink travel wifi extenders.  

Hope this helps.  

Yes, station mode is what you are asking about.  However, this might work better:  The wifi antenna for the ASIair is extremely weak.  You'll likely have better success connecting it directly to a travel router via the ethernet port, or putting a router/extender near the mount and connecting the ASIair by wifi.  In either case, you'll use the travel router to connect to your home network instead of the ASIair directly. 

I use a wired ethernet connection to the GL Slate referenced above, then from there to my home network.  From there I access the ASIair on my laptop using BlueStacks android emulator.  It works extremely well.

So walk me through the setup with one of the slates -  I want this because I frequently image at dark sites and will either be in my car, or if I go to my friends house we will setup and I am then 50 feet away in the house.

Do I just connect the asi air via the ethernet and then connect to the slate to control the asi air? I assume in that situation the slate is a hot spot.  

If I used the slate at home, then I set it up as a repeater right? 

Also can you power this off one of the 12v ports on the asi air?   - NM it appears you can get a usbc to 12v adapter if you just forward that cc info to jeff bezos he'll send it on over from the big rock candy mountain https://www.amazon.c...1_t5_B081NCXB2M

Edited by calypsob, 19 February 2021 - 10:38 PM.

• hornjs likes this

#7 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:32 PM

Wes, there is a bunch of useful info on the Slate in this thread here...If I recall without going through all the posts I think they talk about setting up as repeater, vs extender.  

https://www.cloudyni...problems/page-2

#8 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:36 PM

Wes, there is a bunch of useful info on the Slate in this thread here...If I recall without going through all the posts I think they talk about setting up as repeater, vs extender.  

https://www.cloudyni...problems/page-2

thanks

#9 mrlovt

mrlovt

Messenger

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:39 PM

The Slate comes with a 5v USB adapter/charger.  ASIair puts out 12v, so I wouldn't go that route.  I have mine plugged into a USB port on my mount.  

Here's how mine is set up at the moment (had to log in to the router to check!): 

ASIair -> ethernet -> Slate

Slate is on Router mode.  I have manually set the Slate's IP address.

ASI air "Gateway" is set to Slate's IP address

Slate -> home network*

Technically, it's Slate -> ethernet -> extender -> wifi -> home network router, but that bit doesn't matter, as long as the travel router is on your home network, you'll have access to the ASIair.

For use in the field, I believe you'll use Access Point mode, basically turning the Slate into a much better antenna for the ASIair.

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:49 PM

The Slate comes with a 5v USB adapter/charger.  ASIair puts out 12v, so I wouldn't go that route.  I have mine plugged into a USB port on my mount.  

Here's how mine is set up at the moment (had to log in to the router to check!): 

Slate -> home network*

Technically, it's Slate -> ethernet -> extender -> wifi -> home network router, but that bit doesn't matter, as long as the travel router is on your home network, you'll have access to the ASIair.

For use in the field, I believe you'll use Access Point mode, basically turning the Slate into a much better antenna for the ASIair.

Id like to do this "For use in the field, I believe you'll use Access Point mode, basically turning the Slate into a much better antenna for the ASIair." Both at home and remote.

Do you connect using a smart phone, if so which one? 

#11 PFitzhorn

PFitzhorn

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

I would like to thank all the posters here.  Your willingness to document your trials, tribulations and successes is much appreciated.  I just got my ASIair last night and today at noon have it working with my cameras, on my Losmandy Gemini 2 mount, with a GL.iNet (Slate) travel router connected and working.  What an amazing piece of kit, made straightforward due to your willingness to allow me to "stand on the shoulders of Cloudy Night giants" to paraphrase Isaac Newton.

Seriously - thanks to you all and to the sponsors of Cloudy Nights.

Now to start tackling the rats nest of 12v, 5v, USB and Cat5 cables that are hanging all over the place.  But, thankfully, I find that enjoyable.

• mrlovt and calypsob like this

#12 mrlovt

mrlovt

Messenger

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:36 PM

Id like to do this "For use in the field, I believe you'll use Access Point mode, basically turning the Slate into a much better antenna for the ASIair." Both at home and remote.

Do you connect using a smart phone, if so which one? 

If you use the Slate as an access point, then yes, you'll connect to your smart phone.  I use Android, but anything with a wifi that can run the ASIair app will do.  In my case, I prefer to run an Android emulator called Blue Stacks on my Windows laptop connected to the home network.

I would like to thank all the posters here.  Your willingness to document your trials, tribulations and successes is much appreciated.  I just got my ASIair last night and today at noon have it working with my cameras, on my Losmandy Gemini 2 mount, with a GL.iNet (Slate) travel router connected and working.  What an amazing piece of kit, made straightforward due to your willingness to allow me to "stand on the shoulders of Cloudy Night giants" to paraphrase Isaac Newton.

Seriously - thanks to you all and to the sponsors of Cloudy Nights.

Now to start tackling the rats nest of 12v, 5v, USB and Cat5 cables that are hanging all over the place.  But, thankfully, I find that enjoyable.

I've found that the ASIair and Gemini 2 get along just fine, too.  As for the rat's nest, this 1/2" cable sleeve works well for me.

Edited by mrlovt, 20 February 2021 - 02:37 PM.

• calypsob likes this

#13 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:11 PM

I really think ZWO should be up front in the advertising about ASI Air- WIFI range is only 8 feet.   

I also think they should make a external box with a dedicated 9 DBI antennae with AC wifi and have it connect via the lan port.  It could run on one of their 12v ports and even act as a secondary USB hub.  It could easily bolt onto the side of the ASP and even have further connections. 

Right now its kind of ridiculous that it's connection range is so poor 

• hornjs likes this

#14 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• Loc: NJ

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:08 PM

Weird double post

Edited by Blackhawk163, 20 February 2021 - 05:19 PM.

#15 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• Loc: NJ

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:08 PM

So I use my google home mesh network to get me by. 3 of the "hockey pucks" give me just enough coverage outside to get me nice and warm inside.

And for reference the main network connection sits about 75' to 80' from where I setup my rig 

Edit:

By the way the last hockey puck sits about 25' to 30' away from the asiair pro so at 2.4ghz wireless frequency works just fine for me. 

Edited by Blackhawk163, 20 February 2021 - 05:13 PM.

#16 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:38 PM

I put a 12 volt powered MikroTik router with 5 Ethernet ports and 2.4 and 5 G WIFI. I run the 2.4 in station mode back to a house WIFI access point mounted under the roofline on the outside of the house near the observatory. I connect the ASIAir Pro to the MikroTik Ethernet ports along with my AP900 mount any other Ethernet devices at the observatory. The DHCP services comes from my home network and I get a good connection to the ASIAir using my house Wifi. Doesn't mater if I am at the observatory or back in my house. The MikroTik is running in layer2 bridging mode with the 2.4 radio as backhaul to the house WIFI.

https://amazon.com/g...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MikroTik hAP ac2 RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC Dual-Concurrent 2.4/5GHz Access Point, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 5 x Gigabit Ethernet ports

#17 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:22 PM

Tonight I tried my ipad pro instead of the iphone 12 pro. It seems to stay connected inside. The range on my phone was terrible. Im 20' away.  The scope is on my porch and im right inside on my sofa. The ipad stayed connected so im happy right now. I am going to order a slate and just make it a permanent part of my rig.

• mrlovt likes this

#18 EdDixon

EdDixon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:24 AM

I have a Stellarmate, which is similar to the ASIAIR.  I use a long ethernet cable to connect to home/car setup options. 

A direct connect is much faster and eliminates the connection issues.  It’s a permanent connection for near the house and I carry other gear for the same when running remote from the car.

#19 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:53 PM

I’ve only been using my AAP a short time, but discovered that Ethernet is substantially faster than wifi, even if wifi is really strong between the AAP and home network in station mode, and the same for AAP direct wifi, which confirms the AAP is just a slow wifi unit hardware wise, and then it gets compounded by a 5ft antenna limitations.

I am lucky enough that a 50ft ethernet cable works for me from my house to shooting location. So my setup is AAP ethernet -> Home wifi router ethernet -> iPad Pro over wifi.

With this setup, Images from 1600mm are 32MB and they transfer to my ipad is 1/4 second. where as wifi (even really strong wifi) takes 3 seconds, so I would bet ethernet bandwidth is at least 10x faster than wifi.  VERY noticeable!

using a secondary repeater wifi I found occasionally disconnects or sometimes it gets sluggish, even with strong signal or issues seemed to surface, nothing fails but occasionally I couldn’t reconnect or had to try a few times.  Once I went ethernet direct to Router it works flawlessly and super fast.

so if it’s at all possible to run ethernet direct, go for it and take wifi out of the picture

• nickkohrn likes this

#20 the_alli_p

the_alli_p

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:41 AM

Slate -> home network*

I created a Frankenstein setup which has actually allowed my to use the ASIAir Pro 12v output to power my slate.  If you use this part and then strip a 12v plug and wire it up, you end up with something like the attached picture.  It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it works great.   

AsiAir Pro with Slate 12v to 5v modification

#21 Alegald

Alegald

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:56 PM

Saturday hoping that it won't rain, I will install the telescope on the roof of my parents who live at about 60 Meters from my house, as the crow flies I have no obstacles ... so I thought of two modes. 

Having the ability to remotely access my home WiFi with my parents' WiFi using iPad. 

The second solution would be to connect to asiair pro a fairly powerful router tplink AC 1200 dual band(Archer d5),that I already have (but I don't know how to set it up) to get the signal as close to my house and then use extenders to bring the signal into the house or on the balcony ... in the photo the roof of mine.what do you recommend and if you could show me the various steps.

Thanks.

Edited by Alegald, 14 October 2021 - 03:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics