•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swift 839 Tripod Help and Options?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: So Cal

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:22 AM

It's been over a year and I've still not found a replacement or a good solution for a missing tripod hub.

An original Swift is impossible to find, so I'm looking for one from another scope to modify.

Off and on I've been watching the ads, tried a known parts source, put up want ads (for an original and or a Towa), but still no luck.

Swift-Towa-Mount2.jpg

I found that the hub from my alt-az 60/800mm Crescent (Towa) fits the Swift's mount,

but I don't want to pirate it from that kit.

Towa-Head.jpg

Here's a close up of a early Towa hub

It's different than the newer ones as it accepts a 1.25" shaft

Swift-839-Tri-Hub.jpg

An Original Swift hub. 

Towa-Head-Reworked.jpg

If I can find a Towa, I'd add aluminum plates to the sides of the tines,

and use some filler to do something like this.

You'd think there would be some of the Towas out there but if not

maybe I can find another small hub like from a Manon or ATCO.

Kenko-Hub-1.jpg

An Atco type hub on my Kenko. It's small and the tines are already the right size.

It would only need to be bored out for a larger shaft.

Manon-Hub.jpg

A Manon hub

Swift-Manon-Hybrid.jpg

Photoshop mock up to see how a Manon would look.

a Manon would need both a center tube added and the tines widened.

It could also be reworked and smooothed and rounded...

but I'm not sure it fits in with the style of the upper mount?

Whatever I use I'd like it to be small enough to fit the storage peg in the box.

A Towa like the one above would probably be my first choice but I'm getting desperate.

Any ideas or sources?

Edited by Kasmos, 20 February 2021 - 02:10 PM.

• astro140 likes this

#2 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:06 AM

Could you have one 3-d printed? There’s a place that I’ve seen mentioned somewhere here what will do it if you send them a SolidWorks 3-D file or *.dxf file.

#3 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

Have you tried contacting owners of parts scopes on the registry? Also, Dave Trott fabricates for classic telescopes. Have you talked to him?

• Spyke likes this

#4 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:59 PM

Could you have one 3-d printed? There’s a place that I’ve seen mentioned somewhere here what will do it if you send them a SolidWorks 3-D file or *.dxf file.

I don't know anything about that kind of software. I'd really like to find something to modify, it's more my style and speed. I do have a couple of ideas on how to make one from scratch, but starting with a similar part would be easier. Also, whatever I come up with, I'd paint to match the rest of the mount. I have no experience with 3D printed parts so I'm not sure how good they take paint. 

Have you tried contacting owners of parts scopes on the registry? Also, Dave Trott fabricates for classic telescopes. Have you talked to him?

No and no, but there's a couple of folks I'll probably reach out to.

• blakestree and Terra Nova like this

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:03 AM

I'd really like to find something to modify, it's more my style and speed. I do have a couple of ideas on how to make one from scratch, but starting with a similar part would be easier. Also, whatever I come up with, I'd paint to match the rest of the mount.“

Chris, I think your best bet then is to find a Mayflower/Manon 814 hub like in your earlier post. They’re a nice cast aluminum and machine well. Here’s my old Mayflower tripod. I had initially bored mine out for an Eq. 1 mount, but in its latest iteration I machined a press-fit aluminum plug for the bore and then faced the whole thing off to make a tripod for my Questar. I would imagine that they are much easier to find than the Swift hubs. They were a much more plentiful model and the mounts have a way of breaking down at the slow motion controls.

Attached Thumbnails

• DD540DEC-FAF1-4DA5-9D28-E4F3CD73C6CF.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 21 February 2021 - 09:06 AM.

• Bomber Bob, walter a and Kasmos like this

#6 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:28 PM

I'd really like to find something to modify, it's more my style and speed. I do have a couple of ideas on how to make one from scratch, but starting with a similar part would be easier. Also, whatever I come up with, I'd paint to match the rest of the mount.“

Chris, I think your best bet then is to find a Mayflower/Manon 814 hub like in your earlier post. They’re a nice cast aluminum and machine well. Here’s my old Mayflower tripod. I had initially bored mine out for an Eq. 1 mount, but in its latest iteration I machined a press-fit aluminum plug for the bore and then faced the whole thing off to make a tripod for my Questar. I would imagine that they are much easier to find than the Swift hubs. They were a much more plentiful model and the mounts have a way of breaking down at the slow motion controls.

I thought the same thing about how the controls break leaving them useless and also how nicely you repurposed yours. I think I'll reach out to Chuck since he's had several incomplete Manons and if not, who knows, maybe he'll have one of the others?

• Terra Nova and GreyDay like this

#7 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 AM

I reached Chuck but for now he didn't know if he had anything, so I'm going with modifying something I already have.

It's something that I didn't recognize it's potential but because it's really late I'll show it and explain later.

For now I'm asking for one of you guys to help me with the dimensions of an original Swift hub.

Gary posted a couple of the dimension so if he or another of you can confirm and ad some of the missing numbers,

I'd appreciate it very much!

Hub-Dimensions.jpg

Center point to outer edge of Tine  (2"?)

Center to the center of the Tripod Bolt Hole? (or center of hole to outer edge)

Total Height?

Height of Tines?

Width of Tine at it's foot? (upper right drawing)

What I'm doing will be slightly taller and a little different, but I'd basically like it to mantain the same foot print.

Edited by Kasmos, Yesterday, 04:57 AM.

• blakestree and Bomber Bob like this

#8 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 AM

I can get the numbers you need, if you can give me a day or two.

• Kasmos likes this

#9 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Thanks!

While I wait for some numbers, here's what I'm working with and the plan

806-Mount-1.jpg

This mount is from Mayflower's version of a 60mm Vari-Power Telescope (I believe model 806?)

I've owned it for 40 years and many times have wondered if I could somehow put it to better use.

Only now realising it could serve as a starting place for the Swift's ub.

806-Hub.jpg

The center hole is about 22mms and they are so tiny, they only have room for the original upper metal bars of their stock tripods.

Other than maybe some kind of small table top scope, priorly these features made me think it was useless.

Added-Tine.jpg

Each of the tines will be widened and extended via some 1/8" thick scrap aluminum I have.

]Hub-Parts.jpg

The materials to make it happen. The item in the back is the center from a Angel Food Cake Pan.

Thinking one day it might be useful for some kind of telescope part.

Swift-GEM-Small-Base.jpg

Photoshop mock up

LMD-Mount-Hub.jpg

Keith's (strdst) cool, strange, and odd L.M. Dickenson-Swift clone was the inspiration for using the small hub.

Edited by Kasmos, Yesterday, 09:42 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics