•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino help...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:29 AM

Ok folks, since I'm picking up the camper tonight, I guess it's time (again) for a decent set of bino's.

I'm looking to spend 200 - 300 (maybe a bit more if it's a really good deal), and ideally would like something I can hand hold (so for me that means 7-10x, and typically 40-50mm objectives) and an exit pupil of around 4-6mm.

That being said: here are a couple of "deals" I found:

Steiner Rallye 20x80's for $429 (outside of price and size, but looks like a really good deal)
Steiner Predator 12x40's for $270
Steiner Safari 12x40 for $219
Nikon Tundra 10x50 for $250

(I need to check coatings on these too - make sure I'm not getting a ruby lens or something odd like that...)

Any thoughts?? Recommendations on other models? (Nothing chinese please.....)

Tom T.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 May 2004 - 07:33 AM

I wish I could help ya. I have not used any of those binos. I can only speak of the Orion 7x50 Vistas I have. They are quite nice and excellent for maritime and camping use. I think are about $220.

#3 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:31 AM

After doing a little more research, I guess none of those I posted are really deals...

Anybody got some good recommendations?

Where are the Orions made?

T

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:43 AM

The Vistas are made in Japan but by which company I am not sure of. I bet Barry Simon would know.

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:58 AM

If I were buying a new 10x50 today, with primarily astro use in mind, on top of my list would be the Nikon Action Extreme. read Barry Simon's critique of this binoc. Under $200.

Go to "Links to Bino Mini Reviews" find Nikon Action Extreme 10x50

edz

#6 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:23 AM

Thanks guys.

Ed, I *think* I looked at a set of these in walmart - I have to admit, I wasn't really impressed - the field wasn't very flat, and the off axis performance wasn't all that great (they seemed a little astigmatic)... They didn't seem much (any?) better than the 8x56 oberwerks I owned. Plus, they had both Japan and China stickers on them - which made me think the optics were coming out of china. Maybe I was looking at a different version....

I'll check the link.

T

#7 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:29 AM

Tom T,

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that you cannot have "flat field" and "good edge performance" AND a wide field of view. It's a compromise either way and from your previous comments it sounds to me that you are keener to have the former than the latter.

Although I do not particularly like them myself , Pentax DCF HR is a line that seems to get very good reviews for it's edge performance.

You get waterproofing , nitrogen purging , phase -correction and very good optics ( and a narrow TFOV ) with these for less than $300.

The 8 x 42 would me MY choice for "hand -held".

Others would prefer the 10 x 42 of course.

Check the specs out below , and good luck - Kenny.

http://www.precision...ROD/PENBN/62612

#8 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Kenny, I'll check those out.

Tom T.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics