•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fungus Amoungus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:47 PM

I have a little spot on the outside lens surface of one of my scopes. undecided.gif

How do I kill it before it spreads?

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 20 February 2021 - 01:47 PM.

#2 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

Hi Miguel!

Can't image that your spot is fungus. Fungus tends to like places with trapped moisture. The technique that I use for all my eyepieces and small spots on my optics is a slightly dampened (distilled water) Q-tip to moisten the spot and then the dry end to clean the spot and dry. Ensure you have removed all dust from the surface to be cleaned with air bulb and a soft brush prior to cleaning the spot. Light pressure is typically all that is needed

Cheers, Chris.

• PirateMike and teashea like this

#3 17thCentury

17thCentury

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:12 PM

From my Takahashi lens cleaner and cleaning cloth kit a few tips.

I know I'm repeating what Chris wrote..

If it is a gray spot it may be grease. Never wipe always dab.  If you suspect grease use a 100% cotton swab and food grade lighter fluid. SLIGHTLY moisten the the cotton swab and just touch the surface then quickly with dry end of swab use a gentle rolling and lifting action to complete the procedure.

If it is fungus then an ammonia FREE enzyme cleaner like Takahashi sells along with distilled water may be the fix.

Very important not to let any fluid get drawn into/near the edge of the lens because capillary action will suck in the fluid between lens and tube and cause real damage.

With the enzyme cleaner lightly moistened onto a lens cloth, with scope vertical lens facing up. Gently dab the spot with NO wiping motion. Quickly with a new cloth moistened wit distilled water dab the lens. 

This isn't a procedure to be done often. Continually use fresh areas of the lens cleaning cloth, each cut into 3x4 inch pieces and each piece of cloth formed into a puff ball.

I've pretty much rewrote the Takahashi instructions. 

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:39 PM

Well I'm sure it is fungus. I have been fighting this issue since Hurricane Maria wiped out the island in 2017... so moisture... mucho mucho moisture. grin.gif

What I did to stop the fungus was to leave it in my closed up car, in the sun for a few days. That stopped the fungus but I keep getting this one little spot that just keeps coming back.

I need to have this last little bit killed.

I will look to see if I can find the Takahashi cleaner. I imaging Land Sea &Sky should have it.

FYI... the spot is on my FS-60CB.

Thanks All,

Miguel   8-)

• teashea likes this

#5 betacygni

betacygni

Explorer 1

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

UV light from the sun should indeed kill it (but obviously won’t remove it). Placing it in the car might not work however, as most vehicle windshields block UV light (it’s why you don’t get a sunburn in a car through your windows on a long drive, but also means it wouldn’t give the fungus a sunburn either, which is what you want :). I had a refractor with a fungus issue years ago, turned it into a Herschel wedge solar scope, fungus never stood a chance.

I suspect leaving it outside so the lens is getting direct sunlight should do the trick. Just obviously be careful no flammables are at the focal point...

#6 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:36 AM

I'll give the sun a try.

I put the cell in the car (took it out, put it back in, over and over) to force the moisture out and I do have to say that it worked quite well. Unless you have been in something like Hurricane Maria, you will never be able to understand the full extent of "moist weather". Believe me, it was something out of the norm.

But you are right about the lack of UV in an automobile. Excellent point. waytogo.gif

Miguel   8-)

• therealdmt and teashea like this

#7 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:40 PM

Buy the Takahashi lens cleaning kit.  

• PirateMike likes this

#8 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:37 PM

Miguel,

A few suggestions:

- Get one of those small portable UV flashlight as that may kill/prevent fungus and...

- Get a reusable Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier,

- Store your scope in a wood cabinet with a very low (7 watts?) bulb + the above Dehumdifier

• PirateMike likes this

#9 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

I do care for my telescopes and none of the others have any fungus issues. But for some reason this one does ever since the "Hurricane of the Century" passed directly overhead.

I will get the Tak lens cleaning kit, and in the meantime I'll put the lens cell out in the sun to collect UV rays. waytogo.gif .

Thanks Everyone,

Miguel   8-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics