•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting the EQ6R Pro to consistently return to the home position

Astrophotography Mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Max-OP

Max-OP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orchard Park, NY

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:18 AM

I recently purchased an EQ6R Pro mount for my 10" Meade SCT. The mount work fine and tracks beautifully, however sometimes it does not return to the home position. The home position to me is when the scope is pointing 90 degrees north (parallel to the RA axis) and the RA axis is vertical. In other words the scope is pointing due north. I use a Polemaster for alignment and the goto works great. However, some time the scope wants to return to the home position with the tube pointed at 0 degrees. It is parallel to the horizon. 

I am not sure why this happens. When the scope returns to due north it works great, when it returns to 0 degrees it does not. Should I be "parking" the scope after each observing session? It is not on a permanent pier. Thanks.

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

You can't use the polar scope with the mount in the home position. The dec axis must be rotated 90° making the scope tube horizontal. If you power on the mount in this position, then it will return to it when you park the mount. This happens because the stepper motor counts are set to zero at power on. A park operation to the default park location will return the mount to this position with the stepper motor counts back to zero.

#3 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:03 PM

I usually polar align and then turn off the mount and back on once in the home position. Or off during polar alignment since the red led is so bad in the EQ6R Pro lol. I use EKOS for imaging and I can just click to set the home position which makes it easy to set.

#4 Max-OP

Max-OP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:28 AM

I don't use the polar scope in the EQ6R Pro for alignment. I use the Pole Master, which does a great job of getting excellent polar alignment quickly. The challenge I am facing is that when I start my  1,2 or 3 star alignment process after I have polar aligned, sometimes the scope's goto capability work great. other times it is way off and i can't figure out why. I use the Wifi adapter and Synch-Scan on my iPhone so my GPS position is always correct as well as time & date. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated!

#5 3snows

3snows

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

I use the same combination (PoleMaster with EQ6-R Pro).  I polar align with the mount turned off.  Then after alignment I return the mount to the home position and turn it on.  When the mount is turned on, it assumes the current position is the home position.  And yes, you need to park the mount after viewing before you turn it on if you want to keep the same home position.

#6 Lucky 777

Lucky 777

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlisle PA USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:46 AM

I'm going to assume this also applies to the HEQ5 Pro, and clears up some confusion I had concerning home position as well.

#7 f300v10

f300v10

Messenger

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

I don't use the polar scope in the EQ6R Pro for alignment. I use the Pole Master, which does a great job of getting excellent polar alignment quickly. The challenge I am facing is that when I start my  1,2 or 3 star alignment process after I have polar aligned, sometimes the scope's goto capability work great. other times it is way off and i can't figure out why. I use the Wifi adapter and Synch-Scan on my iPhone so my GPS position is always correct as well as time & date. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated!

When this has happened to me in the past with my EQ6-R it has been due to a clutch slipping, typically on the RA axis.  It will feel snug yet when the mount starts to slew it slips which throws everything off.  It may not be the cause of your issue, but something to check.

#8 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:38 PM

Please consider the fact that I'm SUCH a beginner. I literally began with my EQ6-R just two months ago. However, several factors have helped me with these challenges so far in my journey. I share them not as someone who is presuming to 'teach,' but someone who is a "fellow beggar struggling to find bread."

a) Try Green Swamp Software's ASCOM server if you aren't already using it. To me, it has proven to be much more intuitive and understandable, if not more reliable.

b) With the mount parallel with the North Pole (I know not how this works for South Pole users; please forgive; remember I'm a beginner), make sure you have your scope's objective lense/open end/corrector plate pointing westward when you mount it parallel to the ground on top the mount. Then loosen the clutch and point it toward Polaris. Turn the mount on with the OTA pointing at Polaris.

b) Stop trying to do one, two, or three-star alignments all together. As for me personally, I would advocate that anyone who is having trouble with alignment in general start immediately using SharpCap pro for polar alignment - period. Once aligned (5 minutes tops?), power cycle the mount, check Green Swamp Server again and confirm connection with the software you use for pointing (for example, AstroPlanner) to make sure it connects well with the mount, then ask your pointing software to slew to the first clear target. Then "Platesolve with sync" in Sharpcap. (The time taken to read about how to install this - and watch youtube videos about gearing it up -- will pay off over and over again every night.) The first slew MIGHT be 1 degree (or 6 degrees?) off. But it's NEVER been off more than 1 or 2 or MAXIMUM 6 degrees off on the first slew - then once AstroPlanner (or your pointing software) slews and Sharpcap plate-solves and syncs, from then on, the rest of the night, both sides of the meridian, your pointing should be from then on within a decimal fraction of a degree accuracy every time. 0.1 degree correction, for example - max. One-star alignment is no longer needed. Period.

c) Then using Green Swamp server, click the button to go home and every single time, it will return home - again - pointing at polaris.

If your scope is giving you a different result, then obviously, I've misunderstood something because I'm a beginner. But this is where I am on the journey.

Now someone with much more experience than I please correct me in any spots where I need correction. Remember, I'm on a journey. : )

Doug

#9 Max-OP

Max-OP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Thank you to all. This was very helpful. I really appreciate the feedback. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics