•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark AVI after recording moon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 solaryellow

solaryellow

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Milford CT

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:34 PM

T3i

Movie mode

16" f4.5 Newt with 2.8 barlow

Canon movie maker. 

In the past with my Toucam I would operate under the, WYSIWYG mentality.  If it looked good on the screen, I could assume I would get a very similar is brightness, final image.  

A few of my captures appear dark when they finish and are saved.  

The monitor brightness is normal, not too bright. But more importantly I'm looking at blown out details on the moon, and adjusting shutter accordingly. 

I also had the histogram up but not sure what to look for with this program. Canon movie maker. 

I'm only using it so I can have AVI format amd not have to convert the CR2 file.  

Lastly. 

Regiatax is giving me that outline puzzle piece effect when done stacking.  Its not the broken glass effect. But an outline of jagged pieces but transparent so you can still see the moon under it.  Not sure what is causing this.  Its hit or miss on other stacks. 

#2 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:55 PM

T2i user here, I think my movie mode is somewhat different -- my only native movie work has been with 640x480 crop mode, which I think you don't have. (I avoid HD movie capture because of the resampling.) But I've also captured live view with BackyardEOS.

For the moon, I think you really do want to be pretty dark, because sharpening in wavelets will move the histogram to the right. I don't know why it shouldn't match what you see on the camera LCD, seems to be pretty close on mine.

As for converting files, my preferred software is PIPP, which can convert .MOV into .AVI, or CR2 into TIF (or AVI)  and do alignment and cropping along the way. Great for planets, but I haven't got alignment to work all the time for surface data (i.e. moon) so I tend to leave that to AS3. PIPP can also convert CR2 to TIF or to AVI, and so, that's what I use for the moon these days -- I take whole disk photos at full resolution, convert to TIF (with some cropping) and stack in RS6 more or less following this procedure:

https://stargazerslo...ing-with-a-dslr

with awesome results. (Yeah, probably AS3 would work too, but I have trouble with big files that I haven't worked out yet. Probably my 8G memory isn't enough.)

16" on a GEM is pretty impressive! probably not a full lunar disk in your case, but maybe the technique will work anyway. I think your issue in RS6 is it's getting confused in the alignment, maybe because your anchor point is too dark? I think that's a setting you can control, also you can brighten stuff in PIPP during the conversion.

#3 solaryellow

solaryellow

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Milford CT

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:32 AM

I dont have the crop mode. But I tried a few different things along the way.
640x480 in movie mode and shooting nearly the whole moon. About 95 percent.
Then using the 5x zoom although it was mentioned to use 3x to get the pixel format as close to 1 to 1
And just let the camera do its thing.
I converted those files in PIPP, no problem. Also tried AS2 but it said it needs to be uncompressed AVI. Pipp output is set to uncompress. So I'll have to check that again.

I then went to 640x480 and used Eos movie maker, and went prime focus wide angle capture.
2.8 Barlow attached captured.
Prime focus and using the 5x zoom on the eos movie maker. Everything.
The video image looked really good. Shooting anywhere from 1/400 to 1/1600 or somewhere around there. I think I may he under sampling?
Most of it can be fixed in PS, but the weird artifacts of Registax is getting me.
I did something before to remove it, changed some setting, but dont remember. Might have been a debayer thing?

I guess I'll have to try some more out tonight.

#4 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:32 PM

Sorry, I don't have much experience stacking with RS6 -- just the full-disk moon stacks more or less according to the cookbook. For those, I do get some minor artifacts that appear as a few small, irregular white lines generally near the limb; they're easily smudged out in post so I haven't tried to figure out yet how to keep them from happening. It would seem that your issue is something where it gets the alignment wrong on some of your subs. I try to do the alignment in PIPP, whenever I can, before handing anything over to RS6 or AS3, to give the latter programs an easier time of it. AS3 in particular seems to croak if it hits a section of really jittery video. But as I mentioned, I don't have much luck with PIPP alignment if the lunar limb is not present in the input; I'm still learning.

Also, at 1000mm FL, I'm able to have PIPP crop my 18MP frames down to something like 2024x2024 and still get the full disk. Attempts at stacking bigger files haven't gone so well, but I think that may be a memory issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics