•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neighbor's Floodlight - Happy Ending!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 AstroFrankMontana

AstroFrankMontana

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gallatin County, Montana

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

My city has confused my rural street with a large shopping center, it is the only thing to make sense.  The lights they put up cast hard, distinct shadows even on the nights of the full moon.  The new lights are full-on lighting up the buildings, and not the streets!  I have measured a distinct visible shadow from one of the new lights... 312 feet away!  In people's windows, I see boxes, cardboard and dark curtains where I used to see open windows and lights from inside the buildings.

The power company, where I was told to contact first, told me they do not respond to light pollution complaints.

I'm beginning the process of complaining to the county that these lights are not appropriate for a residential area, and expect this to take months from my initial reactions.  You'd think we lived in a 500K population metropolis from some of my conversations.

• csa/montana likes this

#27 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

My neighbor installed new outdoor lighting that complies with our light trespass ordinance, but shines on me anyway because our house is slightly downhill from his. One day I asked told him about it and suggested he install a bit of additional shielding. He told me I was nuts, that normal people want to light up the night like daytime. End of discussion. Fortunately he is the only problem around here and is usually asleep (lights off) when I'm under the stars. And he's a model neighbor in every other way.

#28 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

My neighbor installed new outdoor lighting that complies with our light trespass ordinance, but shines on me anyway because our house is slightly downhill from his. One day I asked told him about it and suggested he install a bit of additional shielding. He told me I was nuts, that normal people want to light up the night like daytime. End of discussion. Fortunately he is the only problem around here and is usually asleep (lights off) when I'm under the stars. And he's a model neighbor in every other way.

It's amazing how different the world views of what is normal can be between people...sigh...

• BFaucett likes this

#29 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:49 PM

It's amazing how different the world views of what is normal can be between people...sigh...

People that are not interested in the night sky see no harm in having outdoor lighting that does indeed turn night into day.  When I first moved out of town, there was a yard light in my yard.  I thought it was great that it lit up the entire yard, brightly.  Then I bought my first telescope!  The light came down, and now I enjoy the darkness, with the exception of a light by the front door, when I'm not looking at the night skies; then it's also turned off.

• Jon Isaacs, LDW47, BFaucett and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics