•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific AR152 152mm f/6.5 intrusive o-ring in objective

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:05 PM

I got a lens from one of these and noticed that the elements were reversed from what I thought

so I had to remove it from the cell and flip the elements.  Part of the reason I had to do this was

that there was only one, skewed air space tab.  The newton rings were off-centre by 1.75 inches.

Removing the tab and  replacing them with three equal-spaced ones reposition the newton rings

into the centre of the lens.  There was an o-ring (which I got rid of)

that was impinging on about 2mm of aperture.   It wasn't needed (since an objective isn't supposed to

be locked-in tight by a retaining ring anyway.  There was enough thread to screw it down properly.

The o-ring was interesting.   It smelled.  It was a dark-green plastic but it smelled strongly of (kind of like) vinyl. 

The ring was malleable, with little "memory."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics