•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting a Q7 on a GEM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

I’d love to own a Q7 if I could attach the barrel to my Mach1 losmandy D mount. I could the use it for finding double stars, something I think the Q7 might be good at. Does anyone know what is needed and where I might purchase it?

Then for observing the Moon and Planets I could just use it with the classic fork mount.

JimP

#2 SGPPV

SGPPV

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:38 PM

Hi Jim,

I have a Q7 on an AP Mach1 GTO mount. It mounts very easily and nicely.

I use the Losmandy LMDUP 14" Universal dovetail plate which is screwed directly to the mounting bracket of the Q7. I keep this attached when storing the OTA in its case.

On the Mach1 I have the mating Astro-Physics DOVELM2 dovetail saddle (this appears to have been replaced by DOVEDV10 dual style saddle plate).

I purchased both from Astro-Physics, I would recommend calling them to verify the proper part numbers.

I will take some pictures for you tomorrow.

-- Paul

• Erik Bakker likes this

#3 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Messenger

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

My Q7 Astro is mounted on a Losmandy GM 8.  I recently posted an image of my rig in the Cats and Casses forum here on cloudy nights.  An 11lb and 7 lb counterweight are used to counterbalance the OTA.   Two 7 lb weights could be used, but they would be placed at the very end if the dec axis. 

The scope is quite stable for visual use.  A sharp tap on the diagonal at high magnification results In a vibration lasting one second or less, depending on the tube orientation and eyepiece load.   I’m not a astrophotographer, however it is my guess that a more robust mount would be desired for imaging.

When I ordered my scope from Questar, I told Jim R. about my mounting plans.  I shipped my Losmandy dovetail and my University Optics finder shoe to New Hope so they could attach them to the instrument.  My Q 7 arrived ready to use on the Losmandy.

I’ve been very happy with my scope and mounting solution.  Although the mount is on a permanent pier, it is light enough to remove and transport to a darker sky site.  I keep the scope in its case when not in use.

• Erik Bakker and Terra Nova like this

#4 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:10 PM

I have mounted the Q7 classic T on a AP1100, with the saddle plate from AP, nothing else was needed.

IMG_7707.jpg

• Erik Bakker, Terra Nova and JamesMStephens like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics