•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best triplet for around $1500USD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spencercollins

Spencercollins

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Myers, Florida

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

For $1500 or less, which triplet refractor OTA would you grab for imaging? I’m leaning toward the WO GT81 currently. Any others you’d recommend over that? Upgrading from my Whitecat.

#2 awong101

awong101

Messenger

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:11 PM

For what focal length?

I have the Astro-Tech AT115EDT. It doesn't use the latest and the greatest FPL-53, but... hell if I can tell a difference.

I also have the GT81. And I can tell you that this AT115EDT matches the same craftsmanship and build quality of my GT81. Only difference is the glass and focal length.

This is a work in progress with, currently with ~3 hours of data in, L-Pro, from bortle 8-9 skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Final-HDR-merged-image-upload-SM.jpg

• Rustler46 and Spencercollins like this

#3 Spencercollins

Spencercollins

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Myers, Florida

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:18 PM

For what focal length?

I have the Astro-Tech AT115EDT. It doesn't use the latest and the greatest FPL-53, but... hell if I can tell a difference.

I also have the GT81. And I can tell you that this AT115EDT matches the same craftsmanship and build quality of my GT81. Only difference is the glass and focal length.

This is a work in progress with, currently with ~3 hours of data in, L-Pro, from bortle 8-9 skies.

Just looking to stay within the realm of being able to use my ASI183MC with it if possible lol. Just want some more reach than the Whitecat. Those Astro-techs do seem to be a pretty good deal.

#4 StarAlert

StarAlert

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:59 AM

I bought a SharpStar 94EDPH a couple months ago for EAA in my Bortle 7/8 skies. It's a great scope and most of the positive reports I've read on CN are from people doing AP.

M31: 18x10sec

M31 18 x 10s

Bubble Nebula and M52: 17x10sec

Bubble & M52 17 x 10s

Here's an image using my ASI183MM before I sold it. 

Edited by StarAlert, 23 February 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#5 nebulachadnezzer

nebulachadnezzer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:26 AM

I am following this thread closely. The three scopes mentioned here are top of my list for "next refractor" so I'm glad to see them discussed.

I am kind of stuck on the "aperture is king" viewpoint which would have me selecting the AT115EDT at the moment. I'm wondering if any of the discussion would drive me in another direction.

Also for any of these I would assume a reducer or at least flattener is part of the solution. For the AT that's only $150 more, so the largest aperture still comes in at the lowest price. Granted, it's not FPL53. Looking at Astrobin, I'm not sure I care.

#6 Kilcarnup

Kilcarnup

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:56 AM

I bought a SharpStar 94EDPH a couple months ago for EAA in my Bortle 7/8 skies. It's a great scope and most of the positive reports I've read on CN are from people doing AP.

M31: 18x10sec

Bubble Nebula and M52: 17x10sec

Here's an image using my ASI183MM before I sold it. 

This gives me hope as I'm in a Class 7 sky area (inner city) so was worried when my scope would come that it wouldn't pickup much.

#7 StarAlert

StarAlert

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

This gives me hope as I'm in a Class 7 sky area (inner city) so was worried when my scope would come that it wouldn't pickup much.

I pair it with the Apex 0.65x FF/FR so it’s running at f3.6. I don’t know if you can get the AT115 to run that fast.

Lately, I’ve been using my Vixen R200SS a lot more than the SharpStar. Its 8” aperture running at f3.8 does a better job at picking up the smaller, faint galaxies I’ve been hunting. At some point, I may let the SharpStar go because it’s probably a bit more than I need for EAA. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics