•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any OK 8x42's for under $50?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Simon Alderman

Simon Alderman

Vostok 1

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:34 PM

May I mention that showing them one of the night sky apps for their phone might be better for a beginner than a star chart or planetarium? Letting the phone show them what they’re looking at and then using their binos might be a good way to start. I do agree on binoculars as a first instrument. Sorry if this is off topic...

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

I will take your word on it. You’ve obviously been around the block with these things.

I am not a novice though with cheap bins. Have used my share, just not for astronomy.

Also know what what they look like versus the better quality stuff. And, I’m not talking about hundreds of dollar alpha quality stuff.

Its all personal preference but if I had my druthers and wanted to give star gazing a try, I wouldn’t start  with less than 50 buck bins. Not to say that there may not be a few outliers there that could fit the bill okay, but I wouldn’t look there first, nor at anything real expensive either. Would try to be like baby bear and the porridge I think.

P.S. Also, wouldn’t I be better to start out with something less magnifying like the 8x42? 10x50 gives me a shaky view after a few minutes of holding them.

Captain Zero:

Realize, I am not recommending just any $30 binocular.  The vast majority I do not recommend.  This particular model, the Simmons Prosport 10x50s though, I find quite acceptable. Of course some places seem to sell them for $50, they're $30 at Wal-mart.

Jon

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:56 PM

Our "link guru" Stan ( Hallelujah ) already provided a link earlier in this thread to a model I believe would be very difficult to improve upon for it's price.

Its a Bushnell H20 8x42 PORRO.

https://www.ebay.com...cgAAOSwkz9f9gQl

I bought one of my daughters one of these around 16 years as a modest, surprise little gift.

Unlike myself, she is literally out almost every single night in and out of her observatory, mainly engaged in astrophotography, but also looking through various telescopes and binoculars.

She still enjoys viewing the night sky through that modest 8x42 even now, and it has never suffered from any problems.

For $40 these are a real steal.

Kenny

Kenny:

Would that daughter be the one who gave the Sky Tonight presentation at the British Astronomy Association quite recently?  

I can't quite remember her name but at least one of your daughters has really taken to the night sky.

Jon

#29 DrJ1

DrJ1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

The nearly full moon was bright and clear tonight so I took out my Bushnell H2O 8x42 and compared it with: Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX, Bushnell Legend M 10x42, and Eschenbach 8x42 Trophy.  To no one's surprise, the H20 was not as good as the others. (my Fujinon was not worried).  Nevertheless, the H20 showed excellent details of the moon and using them was enjoyable.  The main fault with the H20 is that there appeared to be a haze in the view from the bright moon compared with the 3 more expensive binoculars.  This is not surprising given that the H2O is not fully multicoated and the others have superior coatings.  When I looked at the moon through the H2O several minutes after using the others, I forgot about the haze and picked out finely detailed features on the moon.  Excellent buy for $59 delivered.  DrJ1

#30 Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:46 PM

Captain Zero:

Realize, I am not recommending just any $30 binocular.  The vast majority I do not recommend.  This particular model, the Simmons Prosport 10x50s though, I find quite acceptable. Of course some places seem to sell them for $50, they're $30 at Wal-mart.

Jon

I get yah. Have no doubt what you say about the Simmons is accurate. Will check them out myself next time I’m at Wally World. I am an equipment tight wad. Still have my iPhone 7 and iPad Air. Far from an elitist there. If it were me starting out I would prolly get something like the Vortex Crossfire which I’ve seen at $130 for the sky scan. Right now in the hunt for an E ll if I can stomach the  price. Other than the outliers, just think less than 50 bucks is a tad light for the budget as I’ve seen what it normally buys.

P.S. If I ever do take the plunge, I will also take Simon Alderman’s advice above first.

Edited by Captain Zero, 24 February 2021 - 10:51 PM.

#31 BillP

BillP

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:18 AM

I am an equipment tight wad. Still have my iPhone 7 and iPad Air.

iPhone 7 shocked.gif  How opulent!   I have an iPhone 6.  The iPad I use is so old that Apple's current OS several years ago will not run on it nor will the Netflix app run on it!  The PC laptop I use I got in 2012 when Windows 8 first came out.  It was a pain moving from Windows 7.  I am not this bad with optics.  Priorities lol.gif

Edited by BillP, 25 February 2021 - 01:17 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, BRCoz and sevenofnine like this

#32 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:38 AM

It was a pain moving from Windows 7.

I'm still running Windows 7 & receiving monthly support. like-button.jpg

• Jon Isaacs and Albie like this

#33 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:03 PM

You might have your friend check Amazon under "Binoculars for adults." There are lots of possibilities below $50. Amazon has a great return policy if they are no good. You put their return sticker on the shipping box and take it to the UPS Store...done!

#34 Captain Zero

Captain Zero

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

How’d you manage that? Luved the 7 OS. Had to give it up on our office machines after they pulled support.

#35 BillP

BillP

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:18 PM

How’d you manage that? Luved the 7 OS. Had to give it up on our office machines after they pulled support.

He may mean emotional support lol.gif

#36 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

Perhaps residential (home) use is being treated differently than business support.

I never stopped using it & Windows never stopped giving monthly support. fingerscrossed.gif

#37 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

Perhaps residential (home) use is being treated differently than business support.

I never stopped using it & Windows never stopped giving monthly support. fingerscrossed.gif

I'm still using Windows 7 and still getting frequent security updates.. 

Jon

• hallelujah likes this

#38 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

Hi Jon,

Just to confirm that it is one and the same daughter, Mary ( "the full time astro nut" smile.gif ) who has the Bushnell H20 Porros.

She just had an 11 page article published in the Yearbook of Astronomy 2021.

• Jon Isaacs, Albie and Second Time Around like this

#39 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:23 PM

Hi Jon,

Just to confirm that it is one and the same daughter, Mary ( "the full time astro nut" smile.gif ) who has the Bushnell H20 Porros.

She just had an 11 page article published in the Yearbook of Astronomy 2021.

Kenny:

Is this the book:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/152677187X

Jon

#40 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:25 PM

Yes, Jon, that's the one!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#41 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

Yes, Jon, that's the one!

:waytogo:

It should be here in a few days..

Jon

• KennyJ likes this

#42 Stevencbradley

Stevencbradley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Payson, Arizona

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:35 PM

Amen to that.  I know of a number of newbies where recommendations that were focused more on optical quality and growth in the hobby actually ruined the experience for them as it exacted a level of cost and complexity that they were just not ready for.  I look at it like crawling, walking, running.  Those in the crawling phase do not need anything near expensive or perfect.  For them the equipment needs to be something superfluous to the activity as their focus needs to be on the stars.  All the equipment needs is to be functional, non-cumbersome, and provide performance better than the naked eye.

I have recently been discussing bino's with a friend, and his first idea was 15-20x70's. I lent him my Fuji 16x70 (was I really once that strong?) To help dissuade him. He's not financially challenged, but it's nice to see him opt for a lower powered less expensive model. I'm hoping to get the Fuji's back soon...

BTW: Love the quote from John's Gospel...

#43 BillP

BillP

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

I have recently been discussing bino's with a friend, and his first idea was 15-20x70's. I lent him my Fuji 16x70 (was I really once that strong?) To help dissuade him. He's not financially challenged, but it's nice to see him opt for a lower powered less expensive model. I'm hoping to get the Fuji's back soon...

BTW: Love the quote from John's Gospel...

Thanks.  And great to hear your friend is not letting aperture fever bite him right from the get-go lol.gif  I have 12x50's and I think that is about the limit for hand-holdable for any length of time. After that you really needs a mount unless it is just for a very short look.  I wish someone would market those tilt mirrors again to use the binoculars table-top.  Or if someone knows a source for an inexpensive 1st surface mirror so can ATM one that would be great.

#44 Stevencbradley

Stevencbradley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Payson, Arizona

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:24 PM

Wanted to know if anyone can recommend any inexpensive 8x42s for under $50.  Would be for someone who just wanting to get their feet wet night time observing of stars and some binocular appropriate DSO to see if they are even interested in pursuing.  So they do not want to commit more than $50.  Less better.  I've not used anything under $150 so have no idea.  And before you recommend, no they do not want to borrow others or go to a gathering (i.e., COVID).

Thx.

I see quite a few Japanese Nikons on eBay right now. If you do a search on "vintage," or "used Japanese," prices are pretty high, but if you search by a known brand, sub-$50 looks doable, but watch shipping (recently had a nice pair of Nikon compacts fail due to Arizona heat, so I've been an occasional "looker.")

#45 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:40 PM

Thanks.  And great to hear your friend is not letting aperture fever bite him right from the get-go lol.gif  I have 12x50's and I think that is about the limit for hand-holdable for any length of time. After that you really needs a mount unless it is just for a very short look.  I wish someone would market those tilt mirrors again to use the binoculars table-top.  Or if someone knows a source for an inexpensive 1st surface mirror so can ATM one that would be great.

BillP,

I have 2 large first surface mirrors from rear projection TV's. I'm not sure how flat they are though. I used the fresnel lens from them to melt things, and play with intense sunlight.  I do hope to try to make mirror mount from the mirrors at some point from them, but that's a ways down the list.  They might be ok for 7x-8x, or maybe I can find a "good spot"  to cut out and use for more magnification.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics