•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Digital Weirdness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:39 AM

While this post has an image of the Sun, I'm needing some input from general digital CMOS experts. I recently acquired a FLIR GS3-U3-123S6M 12 MP CMOS monochrome video camera to do full disc imaging of the Sun.

When used at an FL of 900 mm prime focus, the image is essentially perfect:

124546_16-01-2021_l6_ap685 - ImPPG.jpg

Coronado SM90/90 > ED100/900 > BF30 > FLIR Grasshopper3, captured with FireCapture, pre-processed in ImPPG, aligned and stacked in AS!3. No additional processing. Click for larger.

However, merely adding a CEMAX 2X Barlow delivered a strange pattern of vertical banding (which I don't think are Newton rings - but I could be wrong) and a irregular patch of fixed pattern noise:

Banding w FPN sm.jpg

Click for larger.

I'd appreciate any input about what might be causing these artifacts and how they could be eliminated or mitigated. 

Thanks for your time and interest.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:45 AM

Those are indeed Newton rings.

See here image (and cure for it too):
https://stargazerslo...-zwo-t2-tilter/

The second is stacking artifact, but I don't remember cure for that.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:24 AM

Yeah, they are unintended ghosting interference fringes exacerbated by the significant longitudinal spatial coherence of the fractional angstrom bandwidth of the etalon. A different Barlow that is specifically V-coated for H-alpha should fix the problem. Probably start by trying different make and model Barlows and/or cheating the spacings to somewhat different amplifications.

Similarities: Lunt makes H-alpha coating optimized Eyepieces. Ideal for your application would be an H-alpha coating optimized Barlow; I'm not sure such exist unless you do the build yourself of commission it. Zygo makes HeNe ARC coated interferometer objectives; I designed and had built custom aerospace Fizeau Interferometer Objectives... and had the shop ARC V-coat for HeNe. As intended, no annoying fringing. The Kodak coating engineer was dragging his feet on the job, so I sent the lenses to my friends at B&L and they did a fine job coating them. Be sure to request the "V-Coat for H-Alpha"; the theoretical achievable ACR is --- identically Zero with 0.05% routinely achieved.   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 92 Lunt H-alpha optimized coating Eyepieces.jpg

#4 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^

#5 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone. Like the Lunt eyepieces, the Coronado CEMAX eyepieces and the CEMAX 2X Barlow are actually supposed to have coatings designed specifically for H alpha. But I will try changing the spacings and using different Barlows to cover all the bases.

Looks like a filter-tilter is in my future ;-)

waytogo.gif

#6 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, they are unintended ghosting interference fringes exacerbated by the significant longitudinal spatial coherence of the fractional angstrom bandwidth of the etalon. A different Barlow that is specifically V-coated for H-alpha should fix the problem. Probably start by trying different make and model Barlows and/or cheating the spacings to somewhat different amplifications.

Similarities: Lunt makes H-alpha coating optimized Eyepieces. Ideal for your application would be an H-alpha coating optimized Barlow; I'm not sure such exist unless you do the build yourself of commission it. Zygo makes HeNe ARC coated interferometer objectives; I designed and had built custom aerospace Fizeau Interferometer Objectives... and had the shop ARC V-coat for HeNe. As intended, no annoying fringing. The Kodak coating engineer was dragging his feet on the job, so I sent the lenses to my friends at B&L and they did a fine job coating them. Be sure to request the "V-Coat for H-Alpha"; the theoretical achievable ACR is --- identically Zero with 0.05% routinely achieved.   Tom

Dang, I was just about to say this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics