•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SURVEY: When did you order your scope and when did you receive it?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 bradhaak

bradhaak

Lift Off

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:15 PM

Scope: Orion XX12g goto Dobsonian

Date: Ordered: January 7, 2021

Date Received: Some indeterminate day in the future

Supplier: Orion Telescopes & Binoculars.

When I ordered it I got a ship data of February 17 (nine days ago). 

At the beginning of February, I emailed for a status update and was told the date had slipped to March 14.

A week later, I got another email that the date slipped again to March 31.

The changing dates are disappointing, but I appreciate that they're keeping me informed.

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#27 clearush

clearush

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

Interesting discussion if only to understand how the supply of telescopes have changed over time. Seeing someone else order from Highpoint in September and receive their AD8 in October is a breath of fresh air compared to my anticipated wait!

Scope:  Apertura AD8

Supplier: Highpoint Scientific

Order date: 01/14/2021

Receive date: TBD I've had 3 updates: It'll come when it comes, then end of march, end of April/May

This is where I am at also on my AD8, ordered 1/8/2021 via paypal payments (so I haven't been charged yet)

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#28 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

Interesting discussion if only to understand how the supply of telescopes have changed over time. Seeing someone else order from Highpoint in September and receive their AD8 in October is a breath of fresh air compared to my anticipated wait!

Scope:  Apertura AD8

Order date: 01/14/2021

Receive date: TBD I've had 3 updates: It'll come when it comes, then end of march, end of April/May

Similar boat here.

Scope: Apertura AD12

Supplier: Highpoint

Order Date: 12/31/20

Receive Date: Was told upon ordering it could be months. Latest update last week was April. I've seen on FB that a couple that have ordered 8's around the same time are starting to get them. I'll keep my fingers crossed, by won't hold my breath.

Nothing charged to my card yet, as per their policy

Edited by Speedy1985, 26 February 2021 - 04:32 PM.

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#29 jlcop

jlcop

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:21 PM

Sky Watcher 12" Flextube

Astronomics

First week September 2020

Week before Christmas 2020

I was not in a hurry but I was amazed that it arrived before Christmas considering the circumstances.

John

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#30 DrivingOnTheMoon

DrivingOnTheMoon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:26 PM

Scope: ____Celestron 8se____________

Supplier: __Telescopes.net________

Order date: ___Within the past month_____

Receive date: _____It arrived in 1 week________

Yeah, I was incredibly fortunate having found it in stock and how quickly it came. I really couldn't believe that it was in stock for days before I ordered. Virtually everything else was out of stock.
  • Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#31 georgec02

georgec02

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

Scope: Celestron Nexstar evolution 8

Supplier: astronomics (with CN discount!)

Order date: 2/19/21

Receive date: 2/26/21 (today) / 1 week

Did it come earlier or later than you expected?

Notes/comments:

I grabbed one of the two they emailed out a notice for last week. I called an hour after the email came and one was already sold.

I had a Nexstar 8 SE on back order that I cancelled. I knew going in that the original order was of indeterminate arrival date. Astronomics was very up from that they had no idea when it might come in.

Now I have the newer generation scope :)

I was actually also looking for another accessory and they said they wish they could sell me one, but I should grab it elsewhere if I could find it.

This is the 2nd scope I’ve purchase from them (and only two I’ve ever bought). They were very patient answering questions over the phone before the sale. So a non-solicited plug for CNs sponser. If you are not on their emails, they send out updates on what’s come into their shop.
  • Hexley and Tom_Rent_MN like this

#32 ayadai

ayadai

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Mariana Islands

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:45 AM

Scope:  Orion ST80 Equatorial

Supplier:  telescope.com

Order date: 2/18/2021 (In stock; shipped 2/24/2021)

Receive date: 3/3/2021

Did it come earlier or later than you expected? Earlier. Much, much earlier...

Edited by ayadai, 03 March 2021 - 12:46 AM.

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#33 Tom_Rent_MN

Tom_Rent_MN

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lakeville, Minnesota

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:36 AM

Scope:  Orion ST80 Equatorial

Supplier:  telescope.com

Order date: 2/18/2021 (In stock; shipped 2/24/2021)

Receive date: 3/3/2021

Did it come earlier or later than you expected? Earlier. Much, much earlier...

That's good to know.  Thanks.

#34 PaulNRos1666

PaulNRos1666

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:41 PM

Scope: Apertura 6" f/4 Imaging Newtonian OTA - 6F4N

Date: Ordered: November 20, 2020

Date Received: Some indeterminate day in the future

Supplier: High Point.

HP has provided some updates - but the delivery date is indeterminate.

• teashea likes this

#35 CBM1970

CBM1970

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:02 PM

Scope: Orion Starblast 6 (6 inch f/5 newt - manual).

Date ordered: 1/17/2021

Date received:  3/3/2021

Supplier:  Orion Telescopes (telescope.com)

Arrived well after originally projected date.

Happy!

Edited by CBM1970, 06 March 2021 - 09:03 PM.

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#36 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:47 PM

May not be current but too bad.

Ordered my Meade 2120 LX5 10-inch SCT telescope in Sept. 1987. Finally took delivery in April 1988. What I got was a gorgeous, beautiful looking telescope. Tracked beautifully. Just one problem, inside it was one sick telescope! Couldn't even resolve 2 cloud belts on Jupiter. The great opposition of Mars in Oct. 1988, I may as well have been looking at an orange Christmas tree light. 

I estimate the optics could be rated between 1 and 1/2 wave front error. It was okay for deep sky but that's it. So...if you have to wait a long time and end up with a Telescope with great optics, count yourself lucky! Believe it or not, all those telescope factories are doing the best they can inspite of the Novel Corona/Covid 19 epidemic.

I'm not making excuses for these guiys. Put yourself in their shoes and walk a mile or two!

Good luck. Please be patient and clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#37 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:36 AM

For small items perhaps. Otherwise, not an option for everyone, as few will ship large items like scopes.  Even if they would ship, I'd rather not inherit someone else's problems after paying $300+ shipping and waiting for 6-8 weeks for arrival.

Amen.  I am very fussy about condition so I never buy used equipment.  The term "mint" to some means that they did scrape off the mud but ignored the dents and scrapes.  

#38 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:53 AM

For the reputable vendors in the US I have always received excellent service, with two unnamed exceptions.  

I will particularly note Takahashi América / Land, Sea and Sky, Vixen Optics, Eyepieces Etc (our own Don the Starman), Agena, OPT and of course Astronomics.   All are very reputable and excellent.  No fussing around and they ship promptly.

I was reluctant to purchase astronomy equipment from other countries, thinking that there would be difficulties.  However, for items simply not available in the US, I have had to.  I have been quite pleasantly surprised.  The customer service has been uniformly excellent.  And..... the shipping times have been excellent - really no longer than shipping within the US.  I have ordered from several vendors in other countries and every experience has been positive.  

I am glad that Paypal is so widely accepted - all my purchases in the US and from other countries have been using Paypal.  Their protection program is first rate.  They really came through when I had difficulty with one US vendor.  I contacted Paypal and they refunded my money in a few hours.  So I think I can sleep assured..........

#39 mondo1948

mondo1948

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Westbrook, Connecticut

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:11 AM

I had ordered a telescope from Astronomics, but the delivery date kept slipping.  So, I decided to go after a Sky-Watcher Evostar 100 ED scope.  Nobody had it anywhere on-line but last Wednesday night, I happened to go to telescopes.net and searched for this scope.  It said "in stock", which literally shocked me.  I called them the next morning and low and behold, they had 3 in stock.  They shipped mine the next day and it is sceduled for delivery Tuesday.  Being my first telescope, I'm really excited.  The scope comes with a diagonal, 5x and 20x eyepieces and finder so I'm ready to start viewing.

Of course, being new to astronomy, I didn't have a mount or tripod and I know if I put it on my wife's shoulders for viewing, she wouldn't be able to stand still enough to make viewing possible LOL.  I had ordered a Porta II mount from Star-Guy which was in stock, but the Berlebach wooden tripod to go along with the mount/tripod package he offers, was not available.  I called Brian at Star-Guy and asked if there was another tripod I could use that might be in stock.  I ended up buying a better tripod...the Berlebach Uni 28, which has a load capacity of 110 lbs....much more than the original consideration.  It does weigh 20lbs., but I like having a large capacity tripod for potential future larger refractors.  And, the Berlebach can be fitted with a stronger mount than the Porta II, when and if I need one.

By the way, I just checked telescopes.net and they still show the Sky-Watcher Evostar 100 ED still in stock, if you're interested.

Clear skies to you,

Mondo

• teashea and Tom_Rent_MN like this

#40 radiofm74

radiofm74

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Milano (Italy)

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:33 AM

I had delivery this week of a used OTA I had paid for approximately two weeks ago. There were some bumps on the road but on the whole I am very, very happy (

If shortages and delays are the issue, there may be good scopes to be had on the used market and they may be relatively local to you. Buy carefully, check ratings etc… but here's one more voice in favor of cautious trust among fellow astrophiles waytogo.gif

The added bonuses are savings and the fact that you build trust relationships. I bought a rather quality set of eyepieces from one person, and this OTA from another, and am on friendly terms with both. Both items cost me about half of what I'd have paid new. Plus, as both sellers are more advanced than I am, they may want to "trade up" and sell some gear that I'd have a use for. Knowing them solves the trust issue to a good extent. And PayPal is your friend, too ;D

#41 travisophila

travisophila

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Massachusetts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 02:02 PM

Scope: Celestron CPC Deluxe 11" Edge HD Aplanatic

Date ordered: 2/2/2021

Date received:  2/12/2021

Supplier:  B&H

It was supposed to be backordered for 3-4 months but it came in 10 days.

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#42 Hexley  Happy Birthday!

Hexley

Vostok 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:59 PM

Got my 6SE within 4 days from Highpoint Scientific. Stuff trickles in some times, people cancel preorders a lot when they find stuff elsewhere. I was chatting with a rep at Highpoint and it’s not that the factories have been affected by Covid, quite the contrary China has been open, full steam ahead since ~July 2020... it was the great conjunction and the holidays along with the Chinese New Year that shuts everything down for 3ish weeks that caused a massive back order on tons of stuff. They’re expecting a much better inventory story in April/May.

We think telescopes are PlayStation 5s or the latest iPhone... they’re simply not.

Edited by Hexley, 07 March 2021 - 03:59 PM.

• Tom_Rent_MN likes this

#43 polyestersmoothie

polyestersmoothie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:50 AM

Order Date: 12/30/20

Receive Date: They recently told me pretty confidently an eta of early April. Nice to have a specific range after months of "who knows, maybe it'll get here one day". Glad I stuck it out though, they've been nice to work with.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#44 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 13 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

Order Date: 12/30/20

Receive Date: They recently told me pretty confidently an eta of early April. Nice to have a specific range after months of "who knows, maybe it'll get here one day". Glad I stuck it out though, they've been nice to work with.

I think ours will be on the same boat, 12/31 here

• PaulNRos1666 likes this

#45 Astro_Art

Astro_Art

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Valencia, CA

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:01 PM

Scope: Apertura AD8

Supplier: High Point Scientific

Order Date: Feb 26, 2021

Received Date: TBD

I have not received any notification but it has only been 2 weeks. My guess is some time around the end of April or beginning of May. I'll come back to post an update when it arrives. 

#46 hilldweller

hilldweller

Lift Off

• Loc: Peachtree Corners, GA

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:56 PM

Scope: Skywatcher Esprit 80

Supplier: Astronomics

Order Date: November 30, 2020

Received Date: March 8, 2021

Mike had let me know it would be a long wait, but I think this was longer than anyone expected. Also, I think I lost my place "in line", but when I checked on stock in March, they had one to ship, so great !

#47 Veridian

Veridian

Viking 1

• Loc: Milwaukee County, Wis.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:03 PM

Scope: Meade StarPro 70mm AZ; $129 shipped

Supplier: B&H Photo

Ord. Date: 10 Nov 2020

Arrived: 6 Mar '21

When ordered, it showed in stock. Next day, an email is received stating it was back-ordered with an expected shipping time of late Nov. No problem with that, since everyone is short of help to process orders, keep track of stock and answer phones & email.

This was ordered as a birthday gift for friends and time mattered. So, after a long search, another StarPro 70 was found at Mile High Astronomy in Denver for $149 shipped (what the scope is now selling for at B&H). Four days later it arrived, intact at its destination outside of Atlanta.

They were quite happy with it. After asking how long a time it would take for the image shake to settle and they said, "about 2 seconds, maybe less", I decided to not cancel the order at B&H and see for myself just how good a mount it is. The reviews were good for the optics & mount, which is why this one was chosen as a first scope for my friends. For some time, I have been in the market for a lightweight, stable, easy to use mount for a better "grab and go" than what I had. Was thinking there was a chance this one could work. For the price, what the heck.

Come end of November, the back-order had not changed and the shipping date was moved to end of December. By mid. Dec, the ship. date was moved further back to end of Jan. More waiting and by then, it was moved to end of February. 

About this time, one early morning a story was heard on the radio (BBC World News) that there was a serious shortage of shipping containers. Container ships were backing up at anchorages around the world while waiting to come into port for off-loading. Due to the Virus, truck drivers and longshoremen were being hit and the containers were stacking up in the ports. Of course, this would include Los Angeles, where much of the container shipping from Taiwan and Hong Kong come in from. Relatively few containers going out to be unloaded, therefore few containers being returned empty for shipping back to be refilled.

End of February arrives and the shipping date is now moved out to 1 April. Then, at last, on 3 March, an email arrives saying "the StarPro is now in stock". Three days later and it arrived. 

None of these delays had anything to do with B&H or Meade. Considering last year's unfortunate lawsuit settlement, I was somewhat concerned that Meade was having production problems, but now realize no more so than any other manufacturer.

And so, one big part of the answer to all this is most likely as Ulmer stated:

Interesting survey, but I don't think you can draw any conclusions from it. Things change daily, so vendors don't have typical lead times. One example: the shortage of shipping containers. An agent may find 10, one or none at all from one day to the next.   

#48 nebula24x

nebula24x

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK, USA

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

Saw amazon finally has some z130s in stock at normal price ($200). 12ish yesterday but quickly sold out. More today so I grabbed one. Should be here Monday. Had been looking at it or a 6 dob and z130 showed up first so z130 it will be.

Just moved and have better views due to less trees. Have an 80s Chinese celestron 21066 60mm I use time to time to look at moon (hand me down from parents that sat in their garage). Read a lot here last few months. Decided on table dob for now.

Might later on get a mount I can use for it and a better refractor as 2nd scope but set for now. And trying to learn how to use the 60mm eq mount correctly after reading more on it.

Edited by nebula24x, 19 March 2021 - 03:19 PM.

#49 AZDaisy

AZDaisy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Canyon, Arizona

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

I got lucky with mine. I am pretty partial to Adorama for everything so I absolutely stalked the site daily for updates and nailed it when one came in.

Scope: Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25

Supplier: Adorama

Date ordered: 1/8/2021

Date received: 1/14/2021

#50 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal NC

Posted 27 March 2021 - 03:03 PM

Just joined the group waiting for an AD8 from High Point Scientific.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics