•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nice glass finder/spotting scope

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:52 AM

I seem to be in a finder scope mode at the moment. Here is my build of a 60mm RACI finder /spotting scope, using 

U.S.S.R. built 60mm f/4.5 achromat lens (which I'm taking to be a cemented doublet lens).

Back in the 1980s, I obtained around eight of these  lenses. All but two pieces have now been sold, but I'm keeping my last

pair until death. The lenses were made at Zagorsk optical and mechanical plant (ZOMZ) where they were used for the

20 x 60mm binocular and monocular that the plant manufactured. These really are a superb piece of glass, from their striking

purple lens coatings that still mesmerize the eye after 36 years,  while  the views  are so sharp you could shave wth them.

Over the last couple of decades a story has developed that Zomz made some samples of the binocular purely for the

U.S.S.R. market and that they had better glass than the ones exported to the west.  The story might have come about

by a tenuous link to the optical company Lomo. When I purchased my samples,  two of them came with protective hard lens

coverings onto which was written the name  Lomo.  On the covering there was also the Lomo name and logo in embossed relief.

I tested this two lenses along with my other samples and could not see one jot of difference between them.  All of them were

truly superb little achromat lenses.  What was going on at the time is anybodys guess, and after nearly 40 years will we ever know? 

Mybe someone out there got a set of optics with the Lomo logo on, and a story developed from that. 

Or mybe someone got a pair that had better than average built eyepieces, who knows. For me the eyepieces also seemed the

poor relation in the optical path.

Onto the build.  The tube is made from PVC drain pipe and a straight in-line drain pipe connector.  To make a lens cell, I had to

machine some of the internal surface from the pipe, this then allowed the pipe to be pushed onto the metal lens cell.

The focus tube is made from a metal tube which slides in internal rings machined from 6mm plastic. On the side of the main tube

is a set screw which stops the tube from moving after focus is obtained. All parts are simply push fit. I even machined a 50mm

aperture mask, as I would like to do some side by side testing with some  50mm finder scopes at some point. 

In use, this lens gives really, really good  views.  As a finder I get 5.5 degrees. The lens takes magnification well.  Observing the

moon at 108x, there is a very slight pencil thin line of deep purple on the limb of the moon.
The scope is easy  to hold in one hand (even for quite long periods of time), yet it has a very solid feel about it even though it's

made from PVC pipe. These little lenses really are a very nice piece of glass.
Here are some photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zagorsk-cn.jpg
  • Zagorsk-1-cn.jpg

#2 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:53 AM

Lens cell and finished scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zagorsk-4.jpg
  • Zagorsk-3-cn.jpg

• starcanoe, mikerepp, cookjaiii and 1 other like this

#3 geovermont

geovermont

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:38 AM

A very nice job! Probably quite a bit better than many a commercial finder that's out there with names rhyming with "Bead" and "Melestron."

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics