•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Obsession 18" UC

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:39 PM

After reading all this I can understand the response from the guy who answered the phone at Obsession.  It might have been Dave.   I bet he was thinking I was going to ask him questions about he UC series and the issues and he really did not want to talk about it.  I am sure plenty of people have complained and either wanted a refund or wanted the issues taken care of.  I am now glad that I did not buy the UC18 with the servo cat.  It might have been right up my ally as far as an engineering challenge, but I am not going to spend that kind of money on something I have to re design so I can use it reliably.  

#27 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Apollo

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

Looks like you might have to design and build your own.  Pick the tradeoffs you are willing to make.  There are ways to make a more traditional style scope lighter and smaller without fully going to the minimalist style.  Aluminum can be worked at home with woodworking tools.  For commercial scopes I'm not sure anyone else is making fully aluminum scopes.  

If you are willing to compromise back to wood, I think Waite research (spelling?) is potentially another option.  I'm not sure what else is out there in the UC format.   

-Brian

• cuzimthedad and Chaz659 like this

#28 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:47 PM

After reading all this I can understand the response from the guy who answered the phone at Obsession. It might have been Dave. I bet he was thinking I was going to ask him questions about he UC series and the issues and he really did not want to talk about it. I am sure plenty of people have complained and either wanted a refund or wanted the issues taken care of. I am now glad that I did not buy the UC18 with the servo cat. It might have been right up my ally as far as an engineering challenge, but I am not going to spend that kind of money on something I have to re design so I can use it reliably.

The UC models are his best selling units. So much so that he has discontinued production of the classic telescope line due to lack of demand for the classic models. Although the classic scopes are still listed on the Obsession webpage, I don't think you can buy them any more according to several threads I've read herr recently. I bought a 20" classic last year and he told me the 18" and 25" classics were no longer available and the run he did last year of 20" classics were going to be the last run. From what I've read here that's the case and the classics are no longer available, only the UC design.

#29 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:22 PM

The UC models are his best selling units. So much so that he has discontinued production of the classic telescope line due to lack of demand for the classic models. Although the classic scopes are still listed on the Obsession webpage, I don't think you can buy them any more according to several threads I've read herr recently. I bought a 20" classic last year and he told me the 18" and 25" classics were no longer available and the run he did last year of 20" classics were going to be the last run. From what I've read here that's the case and the classics are no longer available, only the UC design.

I am sure that will bring more satisfied customers coming here and telling us their troubles.

#30 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:20 PM

Since you are still hunting, did you consider this:  http://hubbleoptics.com/UL20.html

I suspect it has similar concerns as the Obsession, but I have no experience with it.

#31 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:40 PM

Since you are still hunting, did you consider this:  http://hubbleoptics.com/UL20.html

I suspect it has similar concerns as the Obsession, but I have no experience with it.

problem is their sandwich mirrors.  In startests they do not do very well because the ribs shows through and there have been reports they get unlaminated.  If I could buy just the structure and put in a good mirror that could work.

#32 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:55 PM

SpicaEyes makes all-aluminum telescopes. He has a good reputation and also makes best in class equatorial platforms.

For wood, Waite Research renegade telescopes is a beautiful light option. Gordon also makes premium mirrors. Unfortunately I haven't seen reviews around, but he has videos in YouTube.

They are not ultra compact, but NMT dobs are quite light and, I believe, an improvement over Obsession classic. People say Ryan's own 20" is very easy and fast to get out of the car and set up (Disclaimer, I've a NMT 12.5" on order).

I would hesitate, but the Hubble telescopes are an option that is also cheap and UC-like. There are reviews around. My impression is that they are better than the price, but you may have to fiddle a bit to get the best of it. There is a recent review in CN and the author is very responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful contributor in the forum.

Keep an eye on Teeter telescopes. He does not takes orders now (two cute babies around!), but he will be offering things in his website. The Journey series looks awesome.

The key for a light 18" is starting by a thin mirror, with a good mirror cell. Regarding tracking, I believe an equatorial platform adds flexibility (you use it if needed, usually for high power), and removes burden from the dob structure itself (which is good for compromised ultralights). A fast mirror still keeps you out of the ladder in s 18" on top of a platform.

Disclaimer: me knowledge is theoretical.
  • RobTeeter and turtle86 like this

#33 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:40 AM

problem is their sandwich mirrors.  In startests they do not do very well because the ribs shows through and there have been reports they get unlaminated.  If I could buy just the structure and put in a good mirror that could work.

The mirrors with faults you speak of sound more like the sandwich mirrors described for the SW Stargate telescopes - these have ribs, the Hubble Optics ones don't. I've read about the sorts of problems you describe with those SW mirrors. HO use lots of round bits of glass that fuse the two glass pates together. I've not read any significant reports of problems with the HO mirrors, which are generally very well received.  That's why I ordered and recently received a HO scope grin.gif

I'll post a mini-review in due course, but so far I really can't fault the mirror. I find the structure (all metal) more stable than I expected for its light weight. However, I'm not running any sort of Goto or Pushto systems with it.

Take that as you like, since I'm probably not immune to confirmation bias lol.gif .

• Tyson M likes this

#34 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

The mirrors with faults you speak of sound more like the sandwich mirrors described for the SW Stargate telescopes - these have ribs, the Hubble Optics ones don't. I've read about the sorts of problems you describe with those SW mirrors. HO use lots of round bits of glass that fuse the two glass pates together. I've not read any significant reports of problems with the HO mirrors, which are generally very well received.  That's why I ordered and recently received a HO scope grin.gif

I'll post a mini-review in due course, but so far I really can't fault the mirror. I find the structure (all metal) more stable than I expected for its light weight. However, I'm not running any sort of Goto or Pushto systems with it.

Take that as you like, since I'm probably not immune to confirmation bias lol.gif .

I thought they only made SW mirrors?

#35 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:11 PM

I thought they only made SW mirrors?

Hubble Optics? Not that I'm aware of. SW usually get all their mirrors from Synta - I haven't heard anything different regarding their Stargate series. In any case, the Stargate and HO mirrors are completely different designs. The only thing they have in common is that they are both 'sandwich' mirrors.

• Tyson M likes this

#36 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:59 PM

Hubble Optics? Not that I'm aware of. SW usually get all their mirrors from Synta - I haven't heard anything different regarding their Stargate series. In any case, the Stargate and HO mirrors are completely different designs. The only thing they have in common is that they are both 'sandwich' mirrors.

I mean SW is short for SandWich mirror.  Sorry.  I mean  Hubble only makes SandWich mirrors.

#37 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

I mean SW is short for SandWich mirror.  Sorry.  I mean  Hubble only makes SandWich mirrors.

Oh right. Yes, HO make only sandwich mirrors, but there are other makers of different types of sandwich mirrors. AFAIK, there are no problems (in general) with the HO mirrors.

• Tyson M likes this

#38 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:31 PM

Oh right. Yes, HO make only sandwich mirrors, but there are other makers of different types of sandwich mirrors. AFAIK, there are no problems (in general) with the HO mirrors.

There are some posts with people talking about the sandwich mirrors.

#39 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

There are some posts with people talking about the sandwich mirrors.

Yes, but the ones with problems you were talking about I believe are the Skywatcher Stargate (Synta) sandwich mirrors. There were problems with those, or at least, with some earlier versions of them. While other sandwich mirror makers such as Hubble Optics might (as any other manufacturer) produce the occasional dog, generally they are well thought of for their optics. Just wondering if we are talking about the same thing? thinking1.gif

• Tyson M likes this

#40 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:47 AM

Yes, but the ones with problems you were talking about I believe are the Skywatcher Stargate (Synta) sandwich mirrors. There were problems with those, or at least, with some earlier versions of them. While other sandwich mirror makers such as Hubble Optics might (as any other manufacturer) produce the occasional dog, generally they are well thought of for their optics. Just wondering if we are talking about the same thing? thinking1.gif

So, the ones in the staragate series are not made by Hubble?  My bad.  I thought only Hubble made sandwich mirrors. 

Edited by starman876, 28 February 2021 - 08:54 AM.

#41 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

So, the ones in the staragate series are not made by Hubble?  My bad.  I thought only Hubble made sandwich mirrors. 

No worries. Glad that's sorted grin.gif.

• Tyson M likes this

#42 Bullgator

Bullgator

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:00 PM

Just coming across this thread. I love my 15 UC.  I didn't realize anything was wrong with it until I started reading threads here.  Somehow I'm still happy with it.  Just my .02

• dustyc and niallk like this

#43 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

Just coming across this thread. I love my 15 UC.  I didn't realize anything was wrong with it until I started reading threads here.  Somehow I'm still happy with it.  Just my .02

you are a good and patient manwaytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics