•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

May try a daytime Jupiter in morning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:05 AM

I’ve been waiting for it to track far enough in front of the sun to safely attempt, it may still be too close and the sun may overwhelm the infrared but seeing is predicted to be stable around 10am here..... I have that giant umbrella to set up to keep out of harms way, finding it in the glare might be the biggest challenge

Edited by GSBass, 23 February 2021 - 10:06 AM.

• Barlowbill likes this

#2 GSBass

GSBass

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:59 AM

Seeing forecast still looks good, sure hope I can find it this morning.... potential trifecta, Mercury and Saturn tracking just a little in front of Jupiter.... and it looks like Ganymede will be transiting at 10am

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:06 AM

This potentially could be a bust, imaging this close to the sun may destroy contrast..... good test though, I’ll then know , also a little worried about the opposite of cool down, temperature is going to raise rapidly from 32 to 60 during planned session

Edited by GSBass, 24 February 2021 - 07:10 AM.

• mrlovt likes this

#4 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.6N, 78.7W

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:56 AM

Up here in Raleigh, NC it looks terrible as usual.  Typically I get bad seeing when the temps swing that badly, the winds swirl.  Try to hit the planets as the reach high up towards the meridian! 

Good Luck! 

#5 GSBass

GSBass

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

Huge fail.... spent a hour trying to find it, I thought I would be able to glimpse it to align through my finder but just blue sky, my mount was getting me close but no luck, I guess either I will have to be closer to sunrise or sunset or buy a solar filter so I can align on sun and then hop straight to it..... anyway disappointed, seeing was suppose to be above average for a few hours

#6 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.6N, 78.7W

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

Finding in daylight without a permanent alignment is really hard! :(

#7 GSBass

GSBass

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, had to give up, in a month it will be further out so maybe I can catch it when the sun is lower, I had just expected to find it because I had no trouble finding Mercury one afternoon, anyway I am going to have a refractor on my mount soon so maybe that will help.... if the moon had been out this morning I could have used it to sync on

Finding in daylight without a permanent alignment is really hard! frown.gif

• Mike Phillips likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics