•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are your favorite Spring targets?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, North Carolina - USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:08 AM

Hello!

I'd love to hear what others chase during the months of March and April. Please post images along with your suggestions, if you have any you'd like to share.

Thank you so much!

Scott

#2 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:50 AM

If you are talking about DSO astrophotography, then spring is galaxy season!

• limeyx likes this

#3 jerr

jerr

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:54 AM

Let the winter do not end yet! - I haven't taken even one sub since Sep. 30th due to weather and that horsehead is so tempting :)

#4 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

If you are talking about DSO astrophotography, then spring is galaxy season!

Yes I am talking about DSO astrophotography. Are there any worthy nebulae out there this time of year? I like shooting galaxies, but I really love imaging nebulae!

#5 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Apollo

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:15 PM

If you have dark enough skies, there is a lovely (and dim) reflection nebula around Polaris, plus the IFN makes a great target before the summer Milky Way is in prime position.

• sdeming likes this

#6 limeyx

limeyx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:25 PM

Hello!

I'd love to hear what others chase during the months of March and April. Please post images along with your suggestions, if you have any you'd like to share.

Thank you so much!

Scott

For me, my goals were

M81/M82 (got one night only)

Leo triplet (zero nights)

Markarian's chain (zero nights)

With only one clear night this year, it's not that great so far

#7 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

For me, my goals were

M81/M82 (got one night only)

Leo triplet (zero nights)

Markarian's chain (zero nights)

Sorry to hear that. Any relief in sight?

#8 limeyx

limeyx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:26 PM

Sorry to hear that. Any relief in sight?

If I want to image monday 10 *AM* to 6 *PM* then yes :) if not, then according to Clear Outside I am SOL

Its so frustrating. I went outside last night and it was about 60% cloud cover, just tantalising enough but also randomly hailing and raining ... 

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#9 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:32 PM

If I want to image monday 10 *AM* to 6 *PM* then yes smile.gif if not, then according to Clear Outside I am SOL

Its so frustrating. I went outside last night and it was about 60% cloud cover, just tantalising enough but also randomly hailing and raining ... 

Man, I am really sorry to hear this. Frustrating is putting it lightly. We had cloud cover all night last night, albeit spotty, but enough to block my target much of the night. Plus there was a nearly 90% moon. I got tired of losing imaging time during clear nights due to the moon, so I purchased the Optolong L-eXtreme narrowband filter. Here's Thor's Helmet with just over two hours of integration.

Attached Thumbnails

• Thor CC no BE JPEG resized.jpg

Edited by sdeming, 24 February 2021 - 01:33 PM.

• mdine1us, Stephen Kennedy, JTank70 and 3 others like this

#10 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Viking 1

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:46 PM

Since this will be my first ever Spring of imaging, I don't yet have any favorite targets to share. What I'm looking forward to:

Getting more data on Bode's / Cigar

Leo Triplet

Whirlpool

Pinwheel

Markarian's Chain

Chances are pretty good I won't hit all of them. Markarian's Chain is fascinating to me, so that and Pinwheel will likely be my top 2. Whirlpool is pretty small with my FOV, but I'll definitely try it.

• limeyx likes this

#11 limeyx

limeyx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:46 AM

Man, I am really sorry to hear this. Frustrating is putting it lightly. We had cloud cover all night last night, albeit spotty, but enough to block my target much of the night. Plus there was a nearly 90% moon. I got tired of losing imaging time during clear nights due to the moon, so I purchased the Optolong L-eXtreme narrowband filter. Here's Thor's Helmet with just over two hours of integration.

Really nice !

#12 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 AM

I have had three or four nights since December here in upstate NY, not counting full moons or sub-zero arctic blasts where I couldn't do any imaging.  I managed to finish my fall project (Northern Trifid), and a Horsehead nebula with half of the integration time I wanted.  I also did a single-night shot of M35 and NGC 2158.  I felt depressed over my lack of integration, but after reading some of your comments, I now feel like I made out pretty well.

I ended up with 2.5 images finished during the winter months, only because I purchased a fast f/3.6 refractor setup last summer/fall.  Had I stuck with the C11, I would have produced nothing since November.  The seeing was hideous on all of the clear nights, so it's "short focal length, or go home."

November-January - NGC 1579

get.jpg?insecure

One night in February - M35

get.jpg?insecure

December-January - IC 434 with unconventional color palette

get.jpg?insecure

As for favorite spring targets, yes,  it's all about galaxies.  I like to shoot some of the overlooked galaxies, like NGC 3344 in Leo Minor or NGC 2683 in Lynx. There are too many interesting galaxies in Ursa Major to even list them.  Having a long focal length rig helps (like my C11), but here are a couple of lesser known galaxies that you could probably image with a smaller refractor and some patience.

NGC 3344 in Leo Minor (just large enough for a typical refractor)

get.jpg?insecure

NGC 2683 in Lynx (also not too difficult)

get.jpg?insecure

Hope these targets give you some ideas.

Edited by Ron (Lubbock), Yesterday, 09:07 AM.

• TrustyChords, Beaverpond Astro and jonnybravo0311 like this

#13 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 AM

I have had three or four nights since December here in upstate NY, not counting full moons or sub-zero arctic blasts where I couldn't do any imaging.  I managed to finish my fall project (Northern Trifid), and a Horsehead nebula with half of the integration time I wanted.  I also did a single-night shot of M35 and NGC 2158.  I felt depressed over my lack of integration, but after reading some of your comments, I now feel like I made out pretty well.

I ended up with 2.5 images finished during the winter months, only because I purchased a fast f/3.6 refractor setup last summer/fall.  Had I stuck with the C11, I would have produced nothing since November.  The seeing was hideous on all of the clear nights, so it's "short focal length, or go home."

November-January - NGC 1579

get.jpg?insecure

One night in February - M35

get.jpg?insecure

December-January - IC 434 with unconventional color palette

get.jpg?insecure

As for favorite spring targets, yes,  it's all about galaxies.  I like to shoot some of the overlooked galaxies, like NGC 3344 in Leo Minor or NGC 2683 in Lynx. There are too many interesting galaxies in Ursa Major to even list them.  Having a long focal length rig helps (like my C11), but here are a couple of lesser known galaxies that you could probably image with a smaller refractor and some patience.

NGC 3344 in Leo Minor (just large enough for a typical refractor)

get.jpg?insecure

NGC 2683 in Lynx (also not too difficult)

get.jpg?insecure

Hope these targets give you some ideas.

Wow! Your images are fantastic! I especially love the Horsehead image. Well done! I am originally from Upstate NY and now live in the Charlotte, NC area. I know every bit about your imaging challenges. You are handling it quite nicely!

#14 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 AM

I cheated, because the last two images were taken when I lived in Texas.  lol.gif

• sdeming likes this

#15 TXLS99

TXLS99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest USA

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

This is exactly why I'm contemplating switching to a RASA. My free time + getting the weather to cooperate are so rare that I might be better off with a very fast scope. 

As far as my wish list for spring...

I got 45 mins of the Horsehead, so I'd like to get another hour at least before its gone this year.(Probably wont happen!)

M81&82

M101

M104

M51

M64

Markarians Chain

#16 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 PM

This is exactly why I'm contemplating switching to a RASA. My free time + getting the weather to cooperate are so rare that I might be better off with a very fast scope. 

As far as my wish list for spring...

I got 45 mins of the Horsehead, so I'd like to get another hour at least before its gone this year.(Probably wont happen!)

M81&82

M101

M104

M51

M64

Markarians Chain

I never heard of Markarian's Chain until this thread. I Googled images. It's fascinating! I too will be going after that target. Thanks!

• TXLS99 and jonnybravo0311 like this

#17 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted Yesterday, 04:27 PM

During Spring the Earth is at a point in its orbit  where it is facing out towards the galactic pole so it will be galaxies as far as you can see.  With an aperture of 150 mm and focal length of 1000 mm you should be able to get some good images of the Virgo Cluster, including Markarian's Chain which is about 15 Mpc away.

The Coma Supercluster is about 100 Mpc away and will require an aperture of at least 200 mm and a focal length of 1200 mm to image.  There are other galactic clusters even further out but are pretty much beyond the reach of amateur equipment. 

#18 JamesTX

JamesTX

Ranger 4

• Loc: Texas

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

Galaxies!

So many to choose from.. both wide field and up close.  Last year with my sv70t I should Markarians chain and the Leo Triplet.  With my Edge 8 I shot M81 and M51.

This year I'm planning another wide field shot around leo somewhere.. maybe M96 and friends.  For the Edge I'm already in the midst of collecting data on M82 and NGC 3628.  Will probably go for M101.. and then maybe one other.

#19 TrustyChords

TrustyChords

Mariner 2

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

I'll add to the list... 2 of my favorite galaxies I'll be revisting:

The Sunflower Galaxy (M63),  and M106 galaxy.  Both galaxies stand out as fairly unique-looking, and have a lot of subtle things going on.

M63 you probably want to get in as close as you can, since the unique detail gets better and better the closer you get.

M106, you can either image by itself, or go wide-field and capture a couple of its friends.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics