•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chasing Vesta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jrkirkham

jrkirkham

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Illinois, U.S.A.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

Vesta is coming into opposition and currently shines at magnitude 6.3.

My original thought was to capture it with a DSLR, C11, and a .63 focal reducer. I thought I would try for one picture before midnight, then a second picture before dawn, then a third the next night before midnight. the goal is to catch it moving and prove I have it.  When I was playing with Stellarium however, I began to think I'm using too much focal length. If I am just trying to document that I found it perhaps I should try my DSLR on a simple tripod with a 90mm or 400mm lens. I am sure that a number of you have captured asteroids before. What would be your favorite setup?

• B McCandless and dhkaiser like this

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:07 AM

I observe it naked eye at times, so in some ways that is my favorite.  I haven't looked at it this year, but it is just brighter than 6.0 magnitude now.  Easy target for any aperture visually.

It is a little over 0.5 arc seconds across at this time, large enough that it can be resolved in the 20" if the seeing is decent.   

• B McCandless, jrkirkham, David Gray and 1 other like this

#3 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:26 AM

Something you will want to consider is the moon not far away approaching full.

• Dave Mitsky and jrkirkham like this

#4 jrkirkham

jrkirkham

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Illinois, U.S.A.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:16 AM

Yes, I noticed the moon was close. The weather in Illinois just cleared up and I may have jumped the gun a bit. I have a few weeks to try for it. If I can't get it this weekend I may just open the observatory, clean and get it ready for spring. I think I may go for a wider field of view than I would get with the C11. My first inclination was to go with a scope because I didn't think asteroids moved that quickly. It seems to me like Vesta moves pretty fast. If I take three shots over a 24hr. period I think I can catch movement with about any focal length. 

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

There's an article on Vesta with a finder chart on pages 48 and 49 of the March issue of Sky & Telescope. 

• jrkirkham and Voyager 3 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics