•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using UBVRI Filters for Photometry ... and Astrophotography?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:17 AM

Hi All -

My main interest is Photometry but that does not mean I don't care about astrophotography.   

Best I can tell, the tolerances for UBVRI filters are tighter in the given spectra than LRGB filters.

For example, 

The traditional Chroma Blue filter from the LRGB set begins at a wavelength of about 415 and ends about 500.

The traditional Chroma B Filer from the UBVRI set begins at a wavelength of about 400 and ends about 500.

The traditional Chroma Red filter from the LRGB set begins at a wavelength of about 575 and ends about 725.

The traditional Chroma R Filer from the UBVRI set begins at a wavelength of about 525 and ends about 725.

The examples above are not exact, but close approximations base on the Chroma graphs.   

The actual graphs can be  seen here:   https://www.chroma.c...my-applications

Thoughts:

It would seem to me this means that I could use the UBVRI set for imaging (as desired) without the need to buy a whole new set (and filter wheel) for LRGB filters.   

I would not however,\want to use LRGB for photometry as you would "lose" the lower band of certain wavelengths.  

Is that reasonable? 

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

You can use anything for imaging.

#3 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:47 PM

Very reasonable. 

A) I have seen ESO images from Chile where they do that

B) My club (ATMOB is putting together a new scope/camera combo where we will be using this technique to eliminate filter changes from our filter wheel

C) I'm going that route!

I do not believe it prudent to use RGB filters for photometric work unless you can correlate the magnitudes match those taken with standard BVR filters. 

Peter

• levyjoelh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics