•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First AP Attempt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:05 AM

So new I don’t even know what I’m doing. But here are two I took last night (they were “the best” of the bunch). Orion Nebula and the moon. Using my 90mm, 910mm, f/10.1 scope with a Panasonic LUMIX GH3. Prime focus method. I believe the nebula was 30s exposure, ISO 400. Might be wrong tho. No filters

Attached Thumbnails

• E9C424EB-8979-43D5-BFD4-3FD9BE1E3EE1.jpeg
  • DEB2ADD6-411D-4147-9138-257AF8EAD729.jpeg

• GlenM, JTank70 and Elaine Stachowiak like this

#2 AdrianoMS

AdrianoMS

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Volta Redonda, Brazil

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

The photo of the Moon is nice. As for deep sky objects, you have to take several photos and stack them to get better results.

#3 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:16 PM

Quite exciting for a simplistic setup. The 30 second shot is showing the beginnings of trailing stars. Were you using a motorized mount? For exposures in long focal lengths you only have a few to maybe 15 seconds before trailing becomes noticeable. Long exposure deepsky reality needs motorized tracking and for advanced imaging autoguiding is the thing. With a EQ mount and good polar alignment you should be able to image well for a minute or two.

Looks like you had fun though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#4 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:48 PM

The photo of the Moon is nice. As for deep sky objects, you have to take several photos and stack them to get better results.

Yea I have seen a lot about stacking but haven’t looked into the methods behind it. I shall one day!

#5 Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Atlanta AstroView 90mm

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:51 PM

Quite exciting for a simplistic setup. The 30 second shot is showing the beginnings of trailing stars. Were you using a motorized mount? For exposures in long focal lengths you only have a few to maybe 15 seconds before trailing becomes noticeable. Long exposure deepsky reality needs motorized tracking and for advanced imaging autoguiding is the thing. With a EQ mount and good polar alignment you should be able to image well for a minute or two.

Looks like you had fun though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It was on a Celestron ASGT CG-5 mount but admittedly, my polar alignment wasn’t the best. It was doing some wacky things last night haha. Usually I would do 2 alignment stars, 4 calibration stars, all star polar alignment, and just started doing precise Go-to. Something was weird last night tho so that’s why it was trailing. As I gain experience I will definitely look into a auto guider as well. Thanks for the input y’all!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics