•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Failed Mosaid, Or The Perils Of Imaging With A Dob

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

Imaging with an inexpensive Dobsonian is difficult. No fancy GOTO mount, no buttons to pan around easily. Just a Dob with a grab knob and sticky bearings on an EQ platform. With no way to keep your secondary from dewing over, which happened, as you can see. This is a failed first attempt at a high resolution mosaic of the Moon from last night. I have not bothered to process it other than to bulk stack the panels over night and stitch them in ICE. It would have been about 63 Mpxl had it been successful, which still would have been under-sampled. Dew aside, the seeing was poor. It was a learning experience.

Edit: Also, I cannot type. What is a mosaid?

Attached Thumbnails

• failed_mosaic.jpg

Edited by Borodog, 23 February 2021 - 11:13 AM.

• bips3453 likes this

#2 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Viking 1

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:05 PM

.....this is a failed first attempt...

There's no such thing as failure.

At least if there is, this wouldn't be it.  You should have seen my images from Saturday, Sunday and Monday night!

• Borodog likes this

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

Thanks. I salvaged the data from the northern terminator and made a 10 Mpxl detail shot from it.

astrobin full resolution image: https://astrob.in/kd65uo/0/

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-02-23-0007_1_F1000_sv205_stitch_smal.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics