•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Photo Red or Moonlight capable headlamp?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DeepBloo

DeepBloo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philippines

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:40 AM

Brief background, astronomy and flashlights are a hobby of mine. I want to purchase a headlamp for setting up equipment in my backyard and (hopefully) when star parties are already feasible. The brand I am choosing for are Zebralights as they are praised for there ruggedness, reliability and efficiency. More specifically I'm choosing between the H502pr Photo Red and the H600c Mk IV. The former has a red emitter (650-670 nm) and the latter is a High CRI warm white emitter capable of a very low 0.08 lumen moonlight mode.

The general consensus among the flashlight community is that 0.08 lumens is about the same if not less than a full moon -- basically ambient light. And that much less light is enough for dark adapted eyes to be preserved while allowing for the set-up of necessary equipment.

But, on the other hand, people in the astronomy hobby loves there red lights. And while there is a study that moonlight mode on a white emitter is better than red lights I still want to get your inputs here (my budget does allow to get both).

What would you think if a fellow star party astronomer brought a moonlight capable headlamp? What are your thoughts between red vs white? And taking in all the merits, what would you pick?

#2 astrochaser

astrochaser

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:03 PM

Check out the Petzl headlamps. I have a USB rechargeable one that has the red for night and can be used as a regular lamps as well.

https://www.petzl.co.../Sport/Lighting

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:26 PM

What would you think if a fellow star party astronomer brought a moonlight capable headlamp? What are your thoughts between red vs white? And taking in all the merits, what would you pick?

If you had a "white" one people will complain, pass comment, maybe as the organisers to request you remove it or leave.

In software it is:
IF (light <> red) THEN Complain;

Personally I do not like the red headlights. Peoples thoughts are as it is red I can shine it at full illumination directly into your eyes, and everything will be just fine. So for my sake and others I would ban headlights of whatever color.

But if it ain't red, expect comments/trouble.

• Jeff_Richards likes this

#4 DeepBloo

DeepBloo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:27 PM

Check out the Petzl headlamps. I have a USB rechargeable one that has the red for night and can be used as a regular lamps as well.

https://www.petzl.co.../Sport/Lighting

Thanks for the suggestion, although I am more interested with what people in the hobby might think with red vs. white or if I carry a moonlight mode flashlight to a dark sky site.

#5 DeepBloo

DeepBloo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:53 PM

If you had a "white" one people will complain, pass comment, maybe as the organisers to request you remove it or leave.

In software it is:
IF (light <> red) THEN Complain;

Personally I do not like the red headlights. Peoples thoughts are as it is red I can shine it at full illumination directly into your eyes, and everything will be just fine. So for my sake and others I would ban headlights of whatever color.

But if it ain't red, expect comments/trouble.

Well that sucks.

#6 Gastrol

Gastrol

Surveyor 1

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

I use a ThruNite TH20 headlamp.   It has variable intensity, down to 0.3 lumens with AA battery, and no scrolling thru different modes.   Big, push button switch.   I painted the lens deep red using fingernail polish.   Instead of the AA battery I use 14500.  Works great.

Edited by Gastrol, 23 February 2021 - 02:17 PM.

#7 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:05 AM

I would get the red, white no matter what its intensity is going to affect your night vision.   Look around at the forum you will find a great many people complaining about the moon.   Why would you want to replicate that in a light for astronomy?

And using a headlamp in a group setting is going to p!** off a lot of people when you forget its on and shine someone.

• jjbag likes this

#8 astrohamp

astrohamp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:18 AM

Try them both and please remember to look with your eyes and not your face i.e., head down eyes up.  I too have read that ultra dim 'white light' may be just as forgiving to night vision as the red light brightness required for visual acuity.

Intensity of and proximity to your "moonlight" will probably dictate annoyance level.  However, having any point of 'white' light on some visual observing fields is going to be suspect to folks who regularly spend tens of minutes under cover viewing a single object.

Not to mention the DSLR users who appear unaware that the camera display flashing image/menus during capture is not very polite. That being said I am constantly amazed at the visual crowd who regularly use computers, hand helds, and phones without serious red shielding.  I even had one individual insulted when I asked him to block his 'white apple' logo blazing at me from his open air workstation.

I hope my efforts to suppress EAA viewing intrusion and equipment power indicators are working.  I believe your headlamps will fall at or below these points of light...

#9 Gastrol

Gastrol

Surveyor 1

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

And using a headlamp in a group setting is going to p!** off a lot of people when you forget its on and shine someone.

That’s because your headlamp is too intense and aimed straight out.   That will tick people off.

I always wear my headlamp aimed very low, with just a very dim, red glowing lamp lens.

#10 pregulla

pregulla

Ranger 4

• Loc: Israel

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:41 AM

I have Armytek Tiara Pro. Should have gone with Wizard or non Pro, because the switch has green backlight that is impossible to disable, so I covered it with black craft foam. But the moonlite is nice and low and there is a shortcut from off to it. Other modes a nicely spaced for general use and I like the UI. I have cut red acrylic filter to cover the from lens and turn it red for astro use, and to remove it for general use

Edited by pregulla, 24 February 2021 - 11:28 PM.

#11 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:50 PM

I have the Zebra light Red.

I've had many other headlamps, cheaper ones, but they always required clicking through or past the white light stage.

Never any problem with Zebra.

And the >single< AA battery lasts a long time.

I've taken to using the rechargeable AA batteries.

On the first click, (brightest) it really exceeds my needs to see.

Who needs white light when it's this bright?

I usually use the 2nd level of brightness.

Those are actual shadows from the brightest setting. shocked.gif

And the LED is amazingly tiny.

7 Red LED W

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics