•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Resetting a StarSense after polar align

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seeker999

Seeker999

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pretoria, South Africa

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

Good day

I use a StarSense unit on my CGEM mount to do a manual plus a polar align.

So I would start with the index markings, point to 5 positions in the sky and have them captured.  I would then add two more alignment positions.

Then I do a polar align and move my mount with the knobs as required.

The HC then shows a message that one should align once again but I am not sure what is the best way to first reset / delete the previous alignment data.

Up to now I have just switched the mount off an on again but that is not ideal.  Any suggestions how to clear out the memory completely and start fresh?

#2 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:54 PM

Are you doing a manual align because you have a poor view of the sky?

If you have a good view of the sky just do a normal auto Starsense align, if you can see Polaris don't do a ASPA, either use the Polemaster or Sharpcap just a few minutes.

If you have to use ASPA because you cannot see Polaris, just start a new Starsense alignment from the home position, no need to reset anything or turn the mount off.

When I use Starsense I never add additional alignment points just a waste of time, most objects are dead centre. Though if using ASPA there may be some merit in adding points?

Time is precious I would only do a ASPA as a last resort, also this needs to be repeated several times to get good accuracy. Standalone guiders like MGEN can give you a pretty quick PA though have never used mine for this so can't say how well it works?

#3 deansjc

deansjc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

The above guidance is good.  However, the scope knows where it is pointing after the ASPA routine, so that isn't even a need to return the scope to the home position to commence the second alignment.

However, achieving a very good PA via the ASPA routine requires 2 iterations of the PA routine, and yes, each PA is followed by an alignment.

(So, I added more effort than I reduced, however achieving a very good PA is required for AP.  (That and usually more :-)

#4 Seeker999

Seeker999

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pretoria, South Africa

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

Are you doing a manual align because you have a poor view of the sky?

If you have a good view of the sky just do a normal auto Starsense align, if you can see Polaris don't do a ASPA, either use the Polemaster or Sharpcap just a few minutes.

If you have to use ASPA because you cannot see Polaris, just start a new Starsense alignment from the home position, no need to reset anything or turn the mount off.

When I use Starsense I never add additional alignment points just a waste of time, most objects are dead centre. Though if using ASPA there may be some merit in adding points?

Time is precious I would only do a ASPA as a last resort, also this needs to be repeated several times to get good accuracy. Standalone guiders like MGEN can give you a pretty quick PA though have never used mine for this so can't say how well it works?

Yes, unfortunately I have a poor view of the sky, so I can't do an Auto Align with the StarSense but I do have a good view of the ecliptic.

I live in the southern hemisphere and I don't have a clear view of the south celestial pole either.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics