•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Case for AP130GTX ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

What do you use?

I don't like the case it was delivered in. Too tight of a fit when I place the scope in it, one of the latches is way too rigid(I fear I may break it by applying excessive force) and not sure about those handheld straps which are supposed to be used to lower/remove it from the case. Since I don't have a permanent setup I don't relish the idea of having to use that case. If you are using non AP supplied case would like to hear from you.

Aside from that  when I took it out of the case was surprised to see three or four fine specks of 'dust' already on the inner element confused1.gif. My OCD brain won't let me look past it *sigh* (first world problem). Does it matter if it already has some fine 'dust' specks ?

Edited by indio, 23 February 2021 - 03:27 PM.

#2 onemind

onemind

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:33 PM

I was in the same boat and ditched the original case. I like to have a carry handle attached and don't want to deal with the hassle of the rings being separated from the tube. 

Last summer I had a custom hard-case with foam inserts made for my AP130GTX by Index Packaging. I was looking for a case a few years back, and at the time I came across someone use a custom case for the AP130GTX from Case Technologies so I emailed the company for a quote. I got busy with other things and never went forward with the purchase. I followed up last year on that old email thread and found that the company was purchased by Index Packaging, and they were still open to fulfilling the order.

They built a custom case to my exact measurements at a very reasonable price ($260 for the case + $70 shipping cross country to the west coast). They were very careful to get dimensions correct, so we had a few exchanges back and forth with sketches from me and detailed CAD drawings from them. I'd highly recommend working with them. Prior to that case I tried the Stellarvue soft case, but it was a loose fit, and the case was much longer than I expected, more than my closet space could accommodate. The soft case also had a zipper that tended to get stuck.

Glad I went the hard case route. It was a bit more expensive than the soft case, but is of higher quality and offers better protection for the precious AP cargo.

Attached Thumbnails

• ct-case-1.jpg
  • ct-case-2.jpg

• Paul G and peleuba like this

#3 andysea

andysea

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:07 AM

I use the Stellarvue C130L. The GTX fits perfectly with the rings and two Losmandy plates. In addition to that there is room for the reducer and I think the flattener too. The case that the scope ships in is back in the shipping box.

• NC Startrekker likes this

#4 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:44 AM

I was in the same boat and ditched the original case. I like to have a carry handle attached and don't want to deal with the hassle of the rings being separated from the tube. 

Last summer I had a custom hard-case with foam inserts made for my AP130GTX by Index Packaging. I was looking for a case a few years back, and at the time I came across someone use a custom case for the AP130GTX from Case Technologies so I emailed the company for a quote. I got busy with other things and never went forward with the purchase. I followed up last year on that old email thread and found that the company was purchased by Index Packaging, and they were still open to fulfilling the order.

They built a custom case to my exact measurements at a very reasonable price ($260 for the case + $70 shipping cross country to the west coast). They were very careful to get dimensions correct, so we had a few exchanges back and forth with sketches from me and detailed CAD drawings from them. I'd highly recommend working with them. Prior to that case I tried the Stellarvue soft case, but it was a loose fit, and the case was much longer than I expected, more than my closet space could accommodate. The soft case also had a zipper that tended to get stuck.

Glad I went the hard case route. It was a bit more expensive than the soft case, but is of higher quality and offers better protection for the precious AP cargo.

That looks like just as what AP shipped scope in. Is that AP case or your custom case?

What is that plate with handle ? That is pretty neat.

Do you have dimensions of the box you from when you ordered?

Edited by indio, 24 February 2021 - 01:46 AM.

#5 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:48 AM

I use the Stellarvue C130L. The GTX fits perfectly with the rings and two Losmandy plates. In addition to that there is room for the reducer and I think the flattener too. The case that the scope ships in is back in the shipping box.

I am considering C130L as well. I had one for TSA 102, very functional though I thought it could have used bit more padding.

#6 edif300

edif300

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Basque Country

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:06 AM

Aside from that  when I took it out of the case was surprised to see three or four fine specks of 'dust' already on the inner element confused1.gif. My OCD brain won't let me look past it *sigh* (first world problem). Does it matter if it already has some fine 'dust' specks ?

I think no. Maybe after first night there will be even more over the outer lens so...

• indio likes this

#7 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:24 AM

+1  Not a GTX, but I use this case for my TSA-120,  Interior dimensions are 36x8x8.  The TSA with rings, D-style dovetail plate, carry handle, focuser 2" extension tube with diagonal installed all fit easily with a wee bit of room to spare.

#8 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

I am considering C130L as well. I had one for TSA 102, very functional though I thought it could have used bit more padding.

confused1.gif   Stellarvue cases are the most heavily padded "soft-sided" cases that I have come across.  Both of my Taks happily live in them.

• ares53405 and laedco58 like this

#9 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:33 AM

Just contact Stellarvue. They have some nice, lightweight thick padded zipper cases. All my anvil cases are in storage collecting dust. When a case is as bulky and heavy as the scope, it's like having to lug two scopes around. 

#10 laedco58

laedco58

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesnowda

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:26 AM

My Takahashi FC100DL resides in a Stellarvue C130L in between observing sessions. 

#11 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:34 AM

My TEC 140 ED is in the Stellarvue C130L. Much easier to deal with compared to the original TEC case. I have a SVX130T on order so I will end up with another C130L case. I don't consider it a shipping case. It is a transport and protection case for the astronomer who cares what is inside the case verses the delivery guy who doesn't.

I kept the original TEC case for shipping if ever needed.

Edited by JMW, 24 February 2021 - 11:55 AM.

• ares53405 likes this

#12 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

Set up this beauty last night. Didn't get to spend much time but I felt like a kid last night all by myself in backyard lol.gif

I will order the SV case , thank you all.

Attached Thumbnails

• AP.jpg

Edited by indio, 24 February 2021 - 02:02 PM.

• Paul G, NC Startrekker and laedco58 like this

#13 onemind

onemind

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:26 PM

That looks like just as what AP shipped scope in. Is that AP case or your custom case?

What is that plate with handle ? That is pretty neat.

Do you have dimensions of the box you from when you ordered?

Here's my AP shipping case, dating from a few years back.

I kind of lost track of it, but I think that's a 9" TEC plate with a hardware store handle attached to it.

The custom made case shown in my prior post measures 12"W x 14.5"H x 34"L.

Attached Thumbnails

• original-case.jpg

#14 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:46 PM

This is the Stellarvue case with my 130GTX, rings, and 2 dovetails.   Plus room for diagonal or finder.  Very nice case.

Attached Thumbnails

• ap130.JPG

• indio likes this

#15 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:19 PM

Also here...

https://www.cloudyni...9-case-for-130/

#16 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:20 AM

I ordered SV case.

#17 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:21 AM

That is a nice case however bit heavier than what I prefer. Did you cut out foam yourself or you bought it with foam lining & then modified it.

#18 Deadlake

Deadlake

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

Any idea how long these take to ship, no stock levels on site? 

Edited by Deadlake, 25 February 2021 - 09:13 AM.

#19 indio

indio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:20 AM

Any idea how long these take to ship, no stock levels on site? 

Ordered and shipped on the same day.

• Deadlake likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics