•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Four Open Clusters and a Planetary Nebula To Boot!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 George Simon

George Simon

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chesnee, SC

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:58 PM

Clear nights have been tough to come by recently, so when the forecast called for clearing last night, I quickly searched for targets that would stand up to the gibbous moon when shot through my stock Nikon D5300. I happened upon the interesting field below, located in the constellation Puppis. The field contains four open clusters and a neat little planetary nebula. Let me take you on a quick tour.

The well defined cluster at the lower left corner of the image is M46. About a quarter of a billion years old, the cluster is located about 5,000 light years from us. Superimposed on the cluster, on its northern edge, is the planetary nebula NGC 2438. While the nebula appears to be part of the cluster, it is, in fact, considerably closer to us, about 1,370 light years away. Like many planetary nebulae, it has a multi-shell structure. If you take a look at the full-resolution version of the image on Astrobin, you will be able to see some pink nebulosity on the perimeter of the inner, blue nebulosity. This pink nebulosity is actually a semi-detached shell, distinct from the inner, blue shell. Not picked up in my data is a halo of red nebulosity that surrounds the blue-and-pink gaseous ball.

The bright cluster to the lower right of the image is M47. This cluster is relatively young, only 78 million years old. It lies about 1,600 light years away.

Sandwiched between M46 and M47, at the bottom of the image, is the small, old open cluster NGC 2425. This cluster is about 2.5 billion years old. Its advanced age is evidenced by the large number of red stars that it contains. The cluster is about 11,000 light years from earth.

Finally, in the upper right part of the image is NGC 2423. This cluster is about 750 million years old, and lies about 2,500 light years away.

The image is a 2-panel mosaic. One panel comprises 19 X 180 sec. subs, the other 20 X 180 sec. subs, all shot at ISO 200. More gear and acquisition information may be found on the Astrobin page.

get.jpg?insecure

M46M47 Processed.jpeg

• litesong, kite55surfer, BenKolt and 8 others like this

#2 fallenstarseven

fallenstarseven

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA, USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

Thanks...I'll be looking for these tonight 

#3 randcpoll

randcpoll

Ranger 4

• Loc: New York

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

Very nicely done! I love how well the colors of the stars is developed.

• litesong and fallenstarseven like this

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:11 PM

Just fabulous! I've been looking at these objects quite a bit the past few nights of visual observing. It's nice to see what is really there when you gather enough light. Looks like about a 2 degree FOV which is my favorite visual combo, the 130mm and a 22T4.

#5 George Simon

George Simon

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chesnee, SC

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:06 AM

Thanks to all for the likes and the comments.

Just fabulous! I've been looking at these objects quite a bit the past few nights of visual observing. It's nice to see what is really there when you gather enough light. Looks like about a 2 degree FOV which is my favorite visual combo, the 130mm and a 22T4.

Excellent estimate of the FOV! The actual FOV is about 2.25 degrees. I agree that this is an aesthetically pleasing FOV: wide enough to provide context, small enough to display detail.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics