•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

scope to start solar photography

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

Fellows,

I am thinking to start solar imaging.  

is it a really good idea to start with like f15 achro refractor w/ native 2000+ FL with daystar tech? quark requires f30, so perhaps I will have to add 2x barlow. or better to use mirror based systems? or probably just to buy already available solutions such as Lunt?

what would you do and why? 

what do you have and use and why?

Best,

Andrey

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:11 PM

Hello,

How are your day time seeing conditions at the time(s) of day you can potentially image?

Knowing nothing else, I would argue for a Lunt option over virtually anything else at the entry budget stage and when purchasing new. I would avoid any Solarmax II or III options (basically no support and the etalons are probably the lowest quality overall). I would actually avoid any Daystar option too, unless you for sure know you have seeing conditions that would support the image scales you'll be forced into, and the idea of knowing the electric components to heat the unit(s) to be on band, waiting time, overall total gamble of entry level Quark etalon quality and uniformity, etc. Beyond these, Solar Scope & Solar Spectrum make good options, but they're pricey. Again this is if you're buying new. If buying used, well, it depends on price and if you can test and see the equipment first and preferably actually on the sun to ensure you're getting something good and not just a crippled system that you'll regret with awful uniformity or something worse.

Check out Lunt's modular series of pressure tuned HA scopes; they're not dedicated, they're modular. Great support. Good etalons.

Very best,

• dron2015 likes this

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Fellows,

I am thinking to start solar imaging.  

is it a really good idea to start with like f15 achro refractor w/ native 2000+ FL with daystar tech? quark requires f30, so perhaps I will have to add 2x barlow. or better to use mirror based systems? or probably just to buy already available solutions such as Lunt?

what would you do and why? 

what do you have and use and why?

Best,

Andrey

The Quark comes with a built in 4.4x Barlow so that you don't need an F15 scope, so around F7 should do.

• dron2015 likes this

#4 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:21 PM

Hi Marty,

thanks much!

I actually did not know that the time of day and seeing conditions that important. I mean if the clouds are up there - it is obvious, but I did not know that seeing conditions might affect the selection choice for the equipment.

Now I live in North California - so I would say that sky are generally high and blue w/o clouds.

I already have APO which I am using for DSO and want to keep it way. I do not need  switching from Solar to DSO. I am totally fine with having the dedicated Solar scope.

So basically, your advice would be to try it with the Lunt w/ Fabri Perot etalons vs Daystar. Lunt products usually has like <F8 but assume the etalon can help w/ revealing the fine details.

Best,

Andrey

thank you!

Best,

Andrey

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics