•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where are all the Celestron Nova's?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

After I picked up these Celestron waterproof 7x40's on CL I started researching when they were made and if there were other models but had a hard time finding any info. I eventually came across a photo of a pair of Celestron 7x50 Nova. They looked similar so I tried a google search and found the attached brochure. Sure enough the Nova & Waterproof binoculars are both in there. So it seems these were sold in the mid 80's. I have really been impressed with the performance of the Waterproofs. The optics on the the pair I have are wonderful, sharp across the field with nice contrast. I'm also enjoying the wider field compared to my Nikon 10x50's, especially under dark skies.

After reading the brochure and seeing the specs on the Nova - 7x50 - 10º fov and 10x50 - 8º fov I thought I'd try to find a pair but It seems these are nowhere to be found. Were they made in limited numbers? Judging by the quality of construction there should still be some around. I'd really love to get the 7x50's if the performance is similar to my 7x40's but with a 10º FOV. It seems strange I haven't come across one pair in all of my searching. Are they that rare?

Attached Thumbnails

• Celestron 7x40 Binoculars 1500px sm-2282.jpg
  • Celestron Nova & Waterproof Binoculars 1500px.jpg

Edited by NYJohn S, 23 February 2021 - 06:25 PM.

• zakry3323 likes this

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

I remember seeing a pair pop up in the classifieds not too long ago. 

Found em!

• NYJohn S likes this

#3 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

I remember seeing a pair pop up in the classifieds not too long ago. 

Found em!

Ah, so I guess they do come up every now and then. I wonder if they're as good as I'm expecting. It looks like they'll go for a fair amount of money.  

• zakry3323 likes this

#4 fftulip

fftulip

Lift Off

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:36 PM

If you get your hands on a Celestron Nova, tell us what you think of them.  I don't think they are that rare but probably well used by most owners.  Like most Celestron binoculars of that vintage, they are well made, usually with multi-coatings and decent internal baffling.  The wide angle Novas trade off eye relief for their very wide FOV (only about 10mm eye relief), and as expected for 70-80 degrees AFOV, are not sharp to the edge.  If you want good eye relief and excellent sharp views nearly to the edge, look for their ED series, made by the same manufacturer in Japan.  I have a 9.5x44ED and it's one of the best binoculars I've owned (and I have owned both the 7x50 and 10x50 Novas).

Fan T.

Edited by fftulip, 23 February 2021 - 05:37 PM.

• NYJohn S likes this

#5 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:49 PM

If you get your hands on a Celestron Nova, tell us what you think of them.  I don't think they are that rare but probably well used by most owners.  Like most Celestron binoculars of that vintage, they are well made, usually with multi-coatings and decent internal baffling.  The wide angle Novas trade off eye relief for their very wide FOV (only about 10mm eye relief), and as expected for 70-80 degrees AFOV, are not sharp to the edge.  If you want good eye relief and excellent sharp views nearly to the edge, look for their ED series, made by the same manufacturer in Japan.  I have a 9.5x44ED and it's one of the best binoculars I've owned (and I have owned both the 7x50 and 10x50 Novas).

Fan T.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to go wider than the 7.3º FOV I get with the 7x40's. I guess I was naive thinking the entire 10º field would be sharp with the 7x50 Nova. Which did you prefer? the 7x50 or the 10x50? 

#6 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:17 PM

I have been asking myself the same question: where are the Novas? My guess is that people really like them and don't want to part with them. Or there weren't that many sold. Or maybe some other explanation. There are very few binoculars I've seen less of than the Novas, on here, astromart, or ebay. 

• NYJohn S likes this

#7 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:43 PM

I used to have a 7x50 Nova and the field correction out to the edges was absolutely horrible.  They were also in between coated and fully multi coated and there was a bright ghost of the Full Moon nearly the same size as the actual Full Moon, likely from the adjacent prism faces.

Other than those issues they were mechanically very very nice and comfortable to use.  But they weren’t a very good wide angle binocular.   Would have been better to keep the field to 8 degrees like the 7x50 Classical had.  One of those was my first decent binocular and it had a lot going for it.  Just a bit of wobble on the focuser bridge to let you know it was lower end than the Nova.

Dave

• NYJohn S likes this

#8 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:57 PM

I used to have a 7x50 Nova and the field correction out to the edges was absolutely horrible.  They were also in between coated and fully multi coated and there was a bright ghost of the Full Moon nearly the same size as the actual Full Moon, likely from the adjacent prism faces.

Other than those issues they were mechanically very very nice and comfortable to use.  But they weren’t a very good wide angle binocular.   Would have been better to keep the field to 8 degrees like the 7x50 Classical had.  One of those was my first decent binocular and it had a lot going for it.  Just a bit of wobble on the focuser bridge to let you know it was lower end than the Nova.

Dave

Interesting. I don't think I'd be using them to view the Moon but I was hoping they were sharper near the edges. I may be better off sticking with what I have.

#9 fftulip

fftulip

Lift Off

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to go wider than the 7.3º FOV I get with the 7x40's. I guess I was naive thinking the entire 10º field would be sharp with the 7x50 Nova. Which did you prefer? the 7x50 or the 10x50? 

If I had to choose between the 7x50 and 10x50, I'd go with the 7x50.  The 10x50's larger AFOV isn't as pleasant to look through.  Truth be told, I don't really care for the 7x50 Nova that much either (been spoiled by B&L Mk 41's).

• SMark and NYJohn S like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics