•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My search for a finder that I actually like has finally concluded, and its name is Askar.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doole

doole

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:49 PM

(I like a finder that you can do a little observing through.) The supplied reducer was not recommended for visual applications, but if you thread a T2 diagonal directly onto the back of it, it works with that eyepiece (a TV 24mm panoptic) with about 1/2 turn on the Askar's focuser past infinity to spare. I'm not sure what effect that has on the magnification, (looks like not much) ...but you get a somewhat shorter tube and an upright image - an extremely sharp-to-the-edges upright image. I'll work some more on lowering the profile; the rings and stalk and everything that it came with are too fussy and big for me, but the reducer fits nicely in that Svbony guidescope bracket. (Go figure...)

IMG_0385.jpeg

Edited by doole, 23 February 2021 - 06:02 PM.

• John O'Grady, ngc7319_20 and Second Time Around like this

#2 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:04 PM

Looks interesting. Can you clarify what the parts are and what aperture/magnification results? How much does this weigh?

Thanks,
Michael

#3 doole

doole

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

The whole Askar FMA180 40 mm triplet apo weighs 395 grams, but I'm not using a couple of the supplied extension tubes in this application. And SPEAKING of focusers - that one is as good as the Focusmate on my actual scope. I might like it better. Silky and heavy - no way it's going to move by itself. Which is good, because you can barely even see the focus lock screw. (My single complaint. It's ludicrous - you need a magnifier to see the **** thing.) The whole unit blows my mind. Everything quality - even the ludicrous mounting rings. My T2 diagonal is a Baader. I'm not sure about the magnification, I'm guessing somewhere between 7 & 8, with a 24mm eyepiece, which would mean the lens/reducer had an EFL somewhere below 200 mm. At its prime focus, the objective is a 220 mm apo triplet, said to be a 180 by installing the reducer, which seems to make sense. The field you get by doing this is another mind-blower...

Edited by doole, 23 February 2021 - 09:32 PM.

• mkothe likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics