•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Making progress with H-alpha solar imaging

Astrophotography Imaging Solar
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ATL Gator

ATL Gator

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:17 PM

I think I'm slowly getting the hang of H-alpha imaging thanks to the great advice on this forum as well as the very helpful imaging tutorials by Marty/MalVeauX.

Here are two B&W images I captured today showing the sun (1) in "natural" light and (2) inverted. Both are composites -- separate exposures for the surface and proms -- as I haven't yet mastered the art of capturing everything in a single image. (When I exposure for the surface and try to bring out the proms in post-processing, they tend to come out looking noisy.) These images were captured using a ZWO ASI178MM camera attached to a double-stacked Lunt LS50. Transparency was good; seeing was average.

Settings were as follows:

• Exposure (surface): 6ms
  • Gain (surface): 40
  • Frames: 2000
  • Exposure (proms): 6ms
  • Gain (proms): 255
  • Frames: 2000

I used SharpCap 3.2 for the capture and AS!3 to stack the best 20%. Sharpening in ImPPG and Photoshop.

Constructive feedback is very much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• sun_full_disk_nat_comp_bw_web_2.23.21.jpg
  • sun_full_disk_invert_comp_bw_web_2.23.21.jpg

Edited by ATL Gator, 23 February 2021 - 07:28 PM.

• BYoesle, peterm, Jim Waters and 17 others like this

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:27 PM

Fantastic discs Scott!

Very best,

• ATL Gator likes this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:27 PM

Real nice images and processing.

• ATL Gator likes this

#4 peterm

peterm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:52 PM

They look good Scott.  I have been using 80-90 gain for the surface for my single stack images. I think I will try 40 as you have when I try double stacking again.  

• ATL Gator likes this

#5 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:00 PM

Great job on the proms Scott.

• ATL Gator likes this

#6 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:52 PM

Well done.

• ATL Gator likes this

#7 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:24 PM

Those look great Scott!  When you open your images in Photoshop does it open up the Camera Raw Box where you can adjust Clarity, Contrast etc?  I find Clarity helps to bring out proms in a single shot for both proms and surface for images done with a double stack.

• ATL Gator likes this

#8 TheCrimson_King

TheCrimson_King

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:11 PM

These are really good. They give me an aspirational goal for my 50 mm Lunt (single stack) & same sensor.

• ATL Gator likes this

#9 chemman

chemman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:10 AM

Beautiful images Scott!   

It was nice to see a relativly good amount of activity today.  My full disk was relativly easy to get more or less aligned with GOhttps://gong2.nso.ed...figs/hAlpha.cfgNG.  If at some point you decide to increase your magnification it sometimes is easy to navigate to features using GONG as a refrence map, at least for me anyhow.  

Chuck

• ATL Gator likes this

#10 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:30 AM

Hi Scott,

Those are very good images. waytogo.gif  You may just need a little adjustment for getting better prominence values to come up.

Be sure you're properly tuned with both etalons and have little to no double limb from photosphere parasitic continuum leaking through. This brightens the disc and makes bringing out prominences more difficult.

double stacking non-normalized.jpg

In my experience, while it is counter intuitive, your single image should generally have a little under-exposure. This is especially important for not oversaturating any active areas. Try no gain, as little gamma as possible, and keep your histogram values to the left rather than centered. Later in processing you can adjust the histogram or change highlights, mids, etc. to bring out more details:

Image capture settings.jpg

Click for larger.

Experimentation has been key for me to see what works and what doesn't. 

• peterm, philmor56, rigel123 and 1 other like this

#11 Hank Molesky

Hank Molesky

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:46 AM

I can see images are absolutely beautiful. I can only see you getting better at it.

• ATL Gator likes this

#12 ATL Gator

ATL Gator

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

Those look great Scott!  When you open your images in Photoshop does it open up the Camera Raw Box where you can adjust Clarity, Contrast etc?  I find Clarity helps to bring out proms in a single shot for both proms and surface for images done with a double stack.

Thanks, Warren. I'll have to try that -- haven't had much luck with capturing both proms and surface detail in a single shot yet.

• rigel123 likes this

#13 ATL Gator

ATL Gator

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:25 PM

These are really good. They give me an aspirational goal for my 50 mm Lunt (single stack) & same sensor.

Thanks -- I wasn't sure what to expect from an "entry level" H-alpha telescope (albeit an expensive one), but this little scope really has me impressed.

#14 ATL Gator

ATL Gator

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:35 PM

Beautiful images Scott!   

It was nice to see a relativly good amount of activity today.  My full disk was relativly easy to get more or less aligned with GOhttps://gong2.nso.ed...figs/hAlpha.cfgNG.  If at some point you decide to increase your magnification it sometimes is easy to navigate to features using GONG as a refrence map, at least for me anyhow.  

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. Good suggestion. I have experimented a little with a GSO 2x barlow but so far I haven't gotten very good results -- the images are larger but the resolution isn't any better. I'm guessing that the seeing here in ATL hasn't been steady enough to support imaging at a higher magnification with my set-up. I'm hoping for better results once the jet stream moves on and/or the sun is higher in the sky.

#15 ATL Gator

ATL Gator

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

Hi Scott,

Those are very good images. waytogo.gif  You may just need a little adjustment for getting better prominence values to come up.

Be sure you're properly tuned with both etalons and have little to no double limb from photosphere parasitic continuum leaking through. This brightens the disc and makes bringing out prominences more difficult.

attachicon.gifdouble stacking non-normalized.jpg

In my experience, while it is counter intuitive, your single image should generally have a little under-exposure. This is especially important for not oversaturating any active areas. Try no gain, as little gamma as possible, and keep your histogram values to the left rather than centered. Later in processing you can adjust the histogram or change highlights, mids, etc. to bring out more details:

attachicon.gifImage capture settings.jpg

Click for larger.

Experimentation has been key for me to see what works and what doesn't. 

Thanks, Bob -- I appreciate the detailed suggestions. Your advice regarding underexposing the disk is helpful as I've been struggling with how to capture surface detail without blowing out the highlights in bright active regions like the one that was visible today.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Imaging, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics