•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New AT80ed or old Vixen Fluorite 80?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 godelescher

godelescher

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

A couple of months ago I bought a new AT80ed, then, the other night, Someone was selling an older vixen 80mm fluorite and I jumped on it because it is kind of a magical telescope to me. So, soon I will have two 80mm refractors. One is new and shiny, the other is older and pedigreed.

I'm definitely going to hang on to the Vixen, but I don't know if I should hang on to the AT. The vixen is f8 and the AT is f7. Can you think of any reason to keep them both? I mean in reference to the classic besides fl alone. They'd be sharing a mount

• Terra Nova likes this

#2 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:24 PM

Nope.  Not unless you have kids or grandkids that you want to get a scope for one day, in which case the AT80 would be perfect.

• mikeDnight likes this

#3 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kuna Idaho

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:32 PM

I love my AT80.  Never looked through an 80mm fluorite but I'm sure it is excellent. You will get a lot of replies telling you how much better the fluorite lens is than the FK61 AT80. And so, probably you will be steered towards getting rid of the AT.  This forum is full of how much better this glass is than that blahblah.gif .  The nature of opinions sprinkled with truth.  Comparing focal lengths only, the Vixen will most likely be better on planets with the AT having wider fields of view.  In fact I expect the Vixen is much better on planets. Not sure about AP (back to the glass debates). But the AT is a faster scope.

If you do sell the the AT I expect you will get close to 75% of what you paid for it.  With that money you could buy a couple of nice eyepieces. I would just wonder if it is really worth getting rid of it for ~$300

I would keep them both at least for now. Use them both for awhile and see what you think. Nothing wrong with having two 80mm scopes....I have three Les Pauls!..ha!

Just my 2 cents...smile.gif

Edited by 2112_Mike, 23 February 2021 - 10:34 PM.

• deepwoods1, mdowns, mikerepp and 1 other like this

#4 godelescher

godelescher

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:35 PM

I stumbled into a vixen fluorite 80mm a couple of months after buying an AT80ed, I'm definitely keeping the vixen. I'm not so sure that the AT offers me anything the vixen doesn't provide and I'm wondering if I should get rid of it.

I'm posting this in the "classics" forum because I'd like to hear from people who have some experience with the vixen. What are your thoughts? The vixen is f8 and the AT is f7. Is there any reason to keep the AT or are they basically the same telescope with one having superior optics?

• PirateMike likes this

#5 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:44 PM

Anyone who stumbles into a FL80 is one lucky stumbler!

• bob midiri, deepwoods1, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#6 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:05 PM

I would let the AT go and use the funds for something else.

But who am I to talk... I have three 60mm scopes! crazy.gif

As for the f7 vs. f8... not much difference there.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 23 February 2021 - 11:07 PM.

• blakestree likes this

#7 gfeulner

gfeulner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:51 PM

I have the Celestron version and it gives perfect color free images. Double stars are beautiful. Easily handles 250x when seeing permits.

Gerry

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:25 AM

Ultimately you are talking 80mm Apos. That will somewhat limit the high power magnification where the Vixen should shine.

The AT will have a 2” focuser and newer, higher transmission coatings. So it should best the Vixen on DSO. How much are you a DSO guy versus planetary?

Look at my signature. I’m certainly not going to push you to keep the AT and sell the Vixen. But you have them both. If you don’t have a pressing need for $300, you might want to keep them both for six months and see which you prefer.

Scott

#9 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:29 AM

If you do sell the the AT I expect you will get close to 75% of what you paid for it.  With that money you could buy a couple of nice eyepieces. I would just wonder if it is really worth getting rid of it for ~$300

I would keep them both at least for now. Use them both for awhile and see what you think. Nothing wrong with having two 80mm scopes....I have three Les Pauls!..ha!

Just my 2 cents...smile.gif

The same way I feel about my C80ED that I bought from Astronomers Without Borders. It was such I deal and I could not sell it locally without giving it away that I just kept it. It'll be given away eventually--but to someone personally--not some bargain basement sale.

#10 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:04 AM

I stumbled into a vixen fluorite 80mm a couple of months after buying an AT80ed, I'm definitely keeping the vixen. I'm not so sure that the AT offers me anything the vixen doesn't provide and I'm wondering if I should get rid of it.

I'm posting this in the "classics" forum because I'd like to hear from people who have some experience with the vixen. What are your thoughts? The vixen is f8 and the AT is f7. Is there any reason to keep the AT or are they basically the same telescope with one having superior optics?

Absolutely great refractor!  A Steinheil doublet with fluorite CaF2 behind the flint at f8, super sharp, chromatic aberration negligible or nil, light (roughly above 2,3 kg)....to me one of the best 3" ever produced.

I suggest you sell AT80ED and with funds you buy a good diagonal and eyepiece.

I was able to use extensively this summer and it gives very detailed views of planets, and still with the right wide angle eyepiece, wonderful and luminous views of open clusters (M45, memorable).

Edited by Marcus Roman, 24 February 2021 - 05:04 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:40 AM

In a short while you can see for yourself. The Vixen FL80 has a fixed dewcap and a simpler focuser. Optics, if in good condition, are outstanding on the Vixen FL80. How your AT80 ED compares is best seen in person side-by-side over the course of a few clear nights. You may find a place for both in your stable. And if not, you will know first hand which one you enjoy the most.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#12 Wisconsin Steve

Wisconsin Steve

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:49 AM

The 2 nearly identical threads regarding this Vixen have been merged to minimize confusion.

Steve

• mdowns likes this

#13 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:25 PM

I used to have a 90"s era Vixen FL-80S. At the same time I had an AT80LE CF(FPL-53/Lanthanum coated mating lens, CF tube) and a TMB 80SS (FPL-53 cemented triplet). I was looking for a travel scope. Based on light weight and optics the Vixen would be the pick. But it was F8 and did not have a retractable dew shield. I had also added a 2" FT focuser on it so the weight was not that much different than the other two. I sold the Vixen because I had to downgrade it for the issues. I had taken it on one trip just to see. The other two were F6 and F6.3 respectively. The former's big fat carbon fiber retractable dewshield is a negative compared to the TMB's smaller thinner retractable one.

I still loved the Vixen. It was a really good optic.

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:12 PM

A couple of months ago I bought a new AT80ed, then, the other night, Someone was selling an older vixen 80mm fluorite and I jumped on it because it is kind of a magical telescope to me. So, soon I will have two 80mm refractors. One is new and shiny, the other is older and pedigreed.

I'm definitely going to hang on to the Vixen, but I don't know if I should hang on to the AT. The vixen is f8 and the AT is f7. Can you think of any reason to keep them both? I mean in reference to the classic besides fl alone. They'd be sharing a mount

Sell the AT80ED.  If you don't have a top-tier diagonal, use the $$$ for that accessory.  I liked the AT102ED that I bought new, but I sold it -- now looking at a Tak or Vixen 102 Fluorite (Classic preferred, of course).

I bought a mint Vixen FL80S from Koji here on CN.  Definitely a top-tier APO.  Sold it, too... but, I'm going for the CHAS Shortest Time of Telescope Ownership Award...

Honestly:  The older I get, and the cloudier the weather at The Swamp gets, I've experienced the:  Why haul out a 60mm when 80mm is no more trouble... TO:  Why haul out an 80mm when a 102mm is no more trouble...  At this rate, I'll probably wind up with several Classic 4" refractors, and few or none smaller than that.

• bob midiri and GreyDay like this

#15 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:22 PM

The Vixen Fluorite is definitely a keeper. The only reason to keep the other would be for outreach and travel where you might not want to risk something happening to the Vixen.

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 February 2021 - 05:35 PM.

• deepwoods1, blakestree, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#16 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:34 PM

100% agree Stay with the Vixen

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#17 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:33 AM

The only danger inherent in stumbling across such a classic as an 80mm Vixen fluorite, is that you might then begin subconciously searching for an FL102. 

• bob midiri, deepwoods1, Marcus Roman and 1 other like this

#18 godelescher

godelescher

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:39 AM

I appreciate all the advice. I decided to get rid of the AT80ed. In the short time I had it, I was happy with it, and it's definitely a good deal for an ed80, but since they would have to share a mount, I just didn't see the purpose in having two 80mm refractors.

Maybe I'll splurge on a new eyepiece.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#19 blakestree

blakestree

Vostok 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:45 AM

What's your mount situation like? That FL could use a nice, solid, vintage Vixen mount.

#20 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

I can't see any reason why i would keep two 80mm scopes at all. I mean i have a F/10 90mm and a ST80 but one is for sweeping and the other for higher power work.  F/8 and F/7 in the same size is kinda like having the same scope.

#21 godelescher

godelescher

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:32 AM

What's your mount situation like? That FL could use a nice, solid, vintage Vixen mount.

A new mount would be nice, but that's a luxury right now. For the moment I have an iOptron Cube Pro which I bought for the AT, which, for the Vixen, will sort of be like putting a Ming vase on an Ikea table. But that's just the way it is...

The mount isn't bad, but the tripod is basically epileptic. So long as I don't move, or breathe, or blink, the views are pretty stable.

• pdxmoon likes this

#22 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

In an either or situation I always consider which would be easiest to replace should I eventually have regrets over the one sold..

• Terra Nova, pdxmoon, Paul Sweeney and 1 other like this

#23 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 06:42 PM

Absolutely great refractor!  A Steinheil doublet with fluorite CaF2 behind the flint at f8, super sharp, chromatic aberration negligible or nil, light (roughly above 2,3 kg)...

Always love vixen for the weight, it's so light. Fluorites doesn't mean it needs to be big and bulky. 

#24 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Great thread..... Love the Vixen 80fl...

Now I have my own decision to make

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics