•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aleko 2750 sliding gate opener for ROR

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

I know the Aleko 2750 is a somewhat popular motor for a RoR, especially since SkyRoof System has an ASCOM-compliant add-on to control the motor.

So, for now, I'm looking to add this motor (just the motor for now) to my existing RoR observatory, the roof of which is well within the weight limits of this opener.  In order to open my roof all the way and not lose about 1 foot of southern facing sky, I'm thinking of installing it on the exterior of my back wall, centered between the roof support beams.  Here is an animation of my roof rolling off which may help illustrate what I mean.

https://www.astrobin.../full/jhn2vm/G/

However, it would need to be installed either upside-down or on its side with the gear facing up.  My concern is water in the gear or motor housing.  Has anyone mounted an Aleko 2750 externally to their observatory AND installed upside-down or on its side with the gear facing up?  The good thing is my back roof line extends beyond the back wall by about 6 inches, so I can extend that slightly in the middle part to act as an umbrella over the Aleko, but that still doesn't fully accommodate rain coming in at an angle.

Thoughts?

-Ara

#2 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:30 AM

I have the same type of motor (different manufacturer, same mechanical idea) on my ROR. I have mine mounted on its side with the drive gear facing up, but inside the back wall of the observatory. I would have concerns about weatherproofing it if it was in that configuration outside, as these are designed to be mounted on their base. I think you can manage the same thing without sacrificing roof travel - just extend the rail so that it juts out the opposite side of the observatory when the roof is closed. Then when you open it, the motor can push the roof back to your normal position with no problem. 

I hope that makes sense. I can post pictures of my setup later once it stops raining if you'd like.

Cheers,
Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics