•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finding the right AZ/EQ Mount

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ahmedelmorsy

ahmedelmorsy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:03 PM

I’m searching for the proper AZ/EQ mount that fits my needs and I need help in getting the right mount.

I need AZ to do daytime observation such as new faint moon, sun spots, sun eclipse, etc. I also need the EQ to do deep sky Astrophotography. My deep sky astrophotography is mainly going to happen with DSLR camera and zoom lenses or small telescope.

I was going to buy the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 Equatorial Motorized Goto mount but I changed my mind due to heavy mount weight (33LB for only the mount) and for the high cost too.

Any advise please for a reliable beginner/intermediate AZ/EQ mount!

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

I’m searching for the proper AZ/EQ mount that fits my needs and I need help in getting the right mount.

<…snip…>

You found it.  A mount suitable for DSO AP is expensive, and there are few AZ-EQ mounts.

It's not intuitive how good a mount you need for DSO AP, and what such a mount costs.

Note that you'll get better answers on AP on an AP forum, and that the mods want no discussion of AP here.

#3 jnmacastro

jnmacastro

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

Skywatcher has the AZ-EQ5 which is smaller.  But as bobzeq35 said, depending on what you want to do, you may need a larger mount.

#4 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central WI

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:47 PM

In my opinion, find the mount you can afford, then buy the next one up...

• bobzeq25 and Skysmacker like this

#5 ahmedelmorsy

ahmedelmorsy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:49 PM

Thank you for the replies, I'll move this discussion to AP Forum as bobzeq35 suggested.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics