•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron NexStar 6SE - diagonal upgrade?

Accessories Beginner Cassegrain Eyepieces Equipment DSO SCT Planet Optics Observing
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mji

mji

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:30 PM

Hello. I have been enjoying my NexStar 6SE for a bit now (definitely kept me entertained during lockdown), and I was just had a question about the diagonal or diagonal upgrades.

For context, I mainly do planetary viewing and some DSO observation (mainly nebulae), so my goal would be to possibly try and increase the viewing experience and possibly the contrast. I have been using the standard 25mm PLOSSL, a Baader IV Hyperion Zoom (oh my I love this eyepiece) and a Celestron OMNI 32mm eyepiece.I was looking at upgrading the stock prism diagonal (#94115-A), so I tried to do a bit of research, and it seems that a lot of people recommend the Baader T-2 prism star diagonal pieces ( but I'm interested in this one in particular https://www.highpoin...e-holder-prism1

I'm not too worried about the cost, but I was just wondering if this is worth the upgrade over the standard prism diagonal or if someone can offer some more information/point me in the right direction?

Oh, on a side note how do I go about cleaning a prism diagonal? I have a fingerprint on the inside where you slot an eyepiece in that's been there for a while, doesn't seem to impair the viewing experience but would be nice to not cringe whenever I see it.

Kind regards,

mji

Edited by mji, 24 February 2021 - 08:58 PM.

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

You link doesn't work.

Any of the 99% dielectric coated diagonals should be a good improvement over the stock diagonal.  The stock accessories is where the manufacturers tend to cut down on the quality.

• mji likes this

#3 mji

mji

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

You link doesn't work.

Any of the 99% dielectric coated diagonals should be a good improvement over the stock diagonal.  The stock accessories is where the manufacturers tend to cut down on the quality.

You're right, I accidentally made a mistake in it. Fixed it up now though, thank-you!

Is there much benefit using a dielectric over a prism?

#4 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:57 PM

Hello Mji,

FWIW  I have found the Baader Diagonals amongst the best that I have ever used. 

I clean my diagonals mirrors or prisms just like any of my lenses starting with a air bulb then a soft brush, if I need more I use Purasol and chemwipes with a final I use optical grade micro fiber cloths.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

P.S. remember that the Optical train on the C6 is designed to use 1.25" eyepieces. Just thought I would mention that. I am not sure which Diagonal you are interested in because the link does not work. The prism diagonals tend to work best in slower scopes F/7 and slower. The mirrors tend to work better in faster scopes.  Personally I cant really tell that there is much of a difference between the Baader Diagonals whether the are mirror or prism. The one issuse is the prisms take longer to reach temperature equilibrium over a mirror diagonal.

Edited by Jethro7, 24 February 2021 - 09:04 PM.

• mji likes this

#5 mji

mji

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:59 PM

Fixed the link, sorry :)

Thanks for your cleaning advice too!

#6 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:20 PM

Fixed the link, sorry smile.gif

Thanks for your cleaning advice too!

Hello Mji,

That ought to do it. Alot has to do with your own visual experience. When I first started I would not have been able to see much of a difference from a premium diagonal and a cheap one. Over time I can see the differences. My Baader diagonals exhibit the least light scatter of almost every diagonal that I have ever used. The views are a little bit sharper and have a nice contrast. If you get the new diagonal perform a test your self, between the Baader the one you have and using your scope with just the eyepieces straight through with no diagonal. You may be surprised by the results.

• AJK 547 likes this

#7 mji

mji

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:41 PM

Hello Mji,

That ought to do it. Alot has to do with your own visual experience. When I first started I would not have been able to see much of a difference from a premium diagonal and a cheap one. Over time I can see the differences. My Baader diagonals exhibit the least light scatter of almost every diagonal that I have ever used. The views are a little bit sharper and have a nice contrast. If you get the new diagonal perform a test your self, between the Baader the one you have and using your scope with just the eyepieces straight through with no diagonal. You may be surprised by the results.

That sounds like a good idea. If I decide to go through with the purchase, I'll try to note take as thoroughly as possible and share my results here.

#8 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:18 PM

That sounds like a good idea. If I decide to go through with the purchase, I'll try to note take as thoroughly as possible and share my results here.

Hello Mji,

That is a good Idea, I keep a log of my observations and enter as much information as I can.such as date, time, tempurture,sky conditions  the object being viewed, what scope I am using, eyepieces used, filters used ect... and most important, a section with my personal thoughts about the whole viewing session for future reference. It can save time in the future when you want to view that object. Some objects take a lot of magnification and others you need less magnification to resolve them. The C6 scope is a fine scope and will perform well for you. The Celestron Nexstar 6SE was my very first scope and the one that got me started in this wonderful hobby. I still own the scope.  Where there is no harm no foul experiment away with your gear sometimes there is a surprise in store the worst that can happen is nothing. You will start to learn the relationships between your gear and scope and the objects you are viewing. Two nights ago I discovered that  with my Altair Starwave 102ED F/11 scope I can run the magnification to a astounding 700X on the Moon I never would have thought that was possible till I tried it.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro.

Edited by Jethro7, 24 February 2021 - 10:41 PM.

#9 Kestrel xx

Kestrel xx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

Hello everyone. I, too, have a Celestron NexStar 6E and am considering to upgrade the stock star diagonal for a BBC new one. Here comes the loaded question... is there value in upgrading to a 2” star diagonal? Thanks

Edited by Kestrel xx, 28 February 2021 - 02:26 PM.

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:09 PM

You can get a somewhat wider view with 2” diagonal and 2” eyepiece. The baffle tube limits how wide you can go, but realistically you can still go 30-40% wider depending on your sensitivity to vignetting.

Scott

#11 AJK 547

AJK 547

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, Ill.

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

I quickly changed out the stock Celestron prism diag. on my 6SE to the T2 Baader Maxbright prism, mainly for a quality improvement with solid build and Clicklock easy of use.  I further upgraded my Evo C6 and C8-A to the Baader BBHS Zeiss spec prism for binoviewing.  Haven’t looked back since.

There is a definite improvement in contrast and color fidelity with the Baader BBHS setup (Zeiss prism or Sitall mirror) vs . the stock Celestron Star diag.

Clear, steady nights.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8FBC311B-E258-43DD-A2A7-29F6B5DCF96A.jpeg

Edited by AJK 547, 01 March 2021 - 08:11 AM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#12 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

Hmm - I just sold one of my 2" dielectric diagonals and have moved back to using my Celestron 94115-A prism. After extensive high-power testing with a 100ED and 120ED refractors, the little Celestron outperformed both Chinese Dielectrics I had. The difference was immediately obvious with a wash of light scatter seen with the mirrors that absolutely disappeared with the prism. This was while viewing Mars during several weeks of exceptionally good seeing.

To clean the prism is simple. Remove the 4 screws, carefully remove the back plate. Underneath the metal "spring" is a piece of foam over a piece of  cardboard, and the prism. You loosen the 2 grub screws on the side to remove the prism. When reassembling, you should have a laser to confirm the prism is seated properly. Use a clear dust cap on the bottom and make sure the beam hits the center.

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

Edited by SteveG, 28 February 2021 - 04:33 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Cassegrain, Eyepieces, Equipment, DSO, SCT, Planet, Optics, Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics