•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reliable AZ/EQ Mount

Beginner Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ahmedelmorsy

ahmedelmorsy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:52 PM

I’m searching for the proper AZ/EQ mount that fits my needs and I need help in getting the right mount.

I need AZ to do daytime observation such as new faint moon, sun spots, sun eclipse, etc. I also need the EQ to do deep sky Astrophotography. My deep sky astrophotography is mainly going to happen with DSLR camera and zoom lenses or small telescope.

I was going to buy the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 Equatorial Motorized Goto mount but I changed my mind due to heavy mount weight (33LB for only the mount) and for the high cost too.

Any advise please for a reliable beginner/intermediate AZ/EQ mount!

#2 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:17 PM

Have you considered a fork mount and wedge. This is not a popular choice in the forums, but mine works great for me. If you take this approach be sure you get a strong two sided set of forks and a rigid wedge.

#3 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:45 AM

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5.  $700 less and still carries a modest amount of weight.  I've achieved under 1 arc sec RMS guiding while imaging at 1.4 arc sec.

20200619_213750small2.jpg
This is with a WO Star71 and all the options, camera, filter wheel, OAG, USB hub, dew heater controller and 12V power hub all along for the ride.  (looks complicated but there's only 2 cables between things that move and things that don't move - USB + 12V)

Red Jeep is toptional...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics