•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good Grief! What to do now?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

However, I just did another search and, oh boy... There have been a lot of complaints since I ordered.  There is even a thread on CN that was started a couple weeks before I order which I unfortunately missed.  Apparently things have changed with the retailer and they have gone downhill, bbb.org gives them an F rating.  It seems I ordered right around the same time they went off the cliff.  A resourceful person could probably infer with reasonable certainty who it is, but I think it's OK at this point to reveal that it is OPT.

Thank you, I very much appreciate this info.

First off, that is a retailer I have not ordered from before. I know of OPT but never had the need to order from them, nor shall I, quite frankly, ever.

Seeing the review from BBB also would’ve told me stay away even if you never posted your dilemma and I was wanting to purchase from them. It’s not any triumph learning the name of the offender, as I’ve said, I’m not here to harm their business. It seems as though by the reviews and BBB ratings they’ve been receiving, they’re doing a good enough job on their own hurting their own reputation. I’m simply thankful that I know who they are and that I choose to take my money elsewhere as any customer has the right to do. 

#27 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

It has been my experience with orders that I have placed that ORION (telescope.com) is usually spot on with their Expected Ship Date.

• scotsman328i likes this

#28 TrustyChords

TrustyChords

Mariner 2

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:52 PM

For what it's worth, I've always ordered stuff from OPT and never had any issues.

It sounds like you weren't able to get ahold of the right human over there. frown.gif

Email just isn't the way to go about it these days, imo.

I ordered a ZWO ASI2600MC from them in January, knowing that it was backordered. Before I ordered it, I called and asked when they would expect them, and the guy was honest and said in about a month but if you place the order soon you will likely get in on that next shipment from ZWO. About 3 weeks later I called to inquire the status, and a very helpful girl at customer service told me the shipment was just sent from China, so check back next week.  She told me they had 35 of them coming in and I was #31 in order on the list. Again, pretty transparent. I had the camera in my hands by like the next Monday or so.

Just my 2 cents.

#29 gdavis

gdavis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:25 PM

I've been in contact with multiple people over the months.  Calling them usually resulted in waiting on hold until it hung up on me.  So I tried IM-ing them through the website which got me responses for a while.  Suddenly they stopped responding to IMs and when I pressed them they asked me to email instead.  That got me responses so I stuck with it up until now.

#30 speedster

speedster

Astronomy Architecture and Engineering at McCathren Architects

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

I can't explain why your friend got his ahead of you but it makes perfect sense that xyz would give you a date and then weeks (months?) later, another vendor would give you the same date as though xyz was taking much longer than Orion.  At some date, a container full of telescopes will arrive.  Whether you ordered four months ahead of that date, or four days ahead of that date, your scope is in that container. 

#31 gdavis

gdavis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:06 PM

Welp, OPT seemed much happier to cancel and refund than to do anything else about the problem.  Though it's been so long since I placed the order that they couldn't directly refund my credit card, so the "checks in the mail" as they say.

I never heard a word from Orion's wholesale dept.

I guess all that's left is to place an order with Orion and hope for the best.  Sigh.

• scotsman328i likes this

#32 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:51 PM

Welp, OPT seemed much happier to cancel and refund than to do anything else about the problem.  Though it's been so long since I placed the order that they couldn't directly refund my credit card, so the "checks in the mail" as they say.

I never heard a word from Orion's wholesale dept.

I guess all that's left is to place an order with Orion and hope for the best.  Sigh.

Sorry you had to go through that! However, every cloud has a silver lining like my dearly departed grandmother used to say...be glad you’re rid of OPT and got your money back. At least you won’t go through this circus act again. Lightning never strikes twice in the same spot. 

Edited by scotsman328i, 01 March 2021 - 05:52 PM.

#33 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:01 PM

Hello All,

I had a Idea that was the retailer the OP was talking about. They sure pay Google a premium to dominate the search results. Sad they used to be a good company.

HAPPIER SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 01 March 2021 - 09:03 PM.

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics