•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP plate solves with Ioptron mounts?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PABresler

PABresler

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Osos, Ca

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:06 PM

How do you doing plate solves with SGP with an Ioptron mount using the Ioptron driver, Icommand? I just had a mishap with a CEM40 that actually burned the board on the mount. The mount was connected in software to SGP, I zeroed the mount, entered coordinates, and slewed. It went in the wrong direction, hit the limits and burned board before I could hit the power switch. It had worked a couple of times and I found targets with slews from SGP.

Peter

#2 daveco2

daveco2

Vostok 1

• *----
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

Uh oh.  I also have a CEM40 running with SGP and was going to try plate solve in the next few days.  

My method would have been to 3-star align first, as usual, slew to the target with the hand set, and then invoke plate solve.  Now, I'll keep my finger near the stop button in case the mount starts slewing.

Strange about burning a board when it hit the limits.  Before I understood the setup, I ran my scope into the mount where it stalled; but no burned boards as a result.

• Dynan likes this

#3 PABresler

PABresler

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:36 PM

Keep your finger on the power plug. I do this all the time with my AP mount. It actually worked a couple of times with the Ioptron, but not sure what went wrong this time. With the AP mount doing a plate solve syncs the mount, not need for any star alignments. I am tired of those!

Peter

#4 Ethanwyh

Ethanwyh

Mariner 2

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:47 PM

That's a rather unfortunate event, i'm sorry to hear that this happened but platesolving always works for my CEM40 and 70. (Via SGP)

As a precaution, i always make sure in the 'user profile' tab in SGP has my location exported/typed in correctly. I once saw that my coordinates were a little off in SGP which led to slews of around 3000pixels off. Just check to make sure the right parameters are loaded.

I keep my fingers close to the disengagement clutch whenever i'm slewing to some unfamiliar location in the sky (just in case such a thing as you described happens)

Regarding your burned board, do drop iOptron an email about it, with the title [URGENT], it worked for me before but it could be my luck. No harm trying and I wish you all the best!

• Dynan likes this

#5 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:48 PM

I don't understand how just stalling the mount could fry the board? I have a 60CEM and have stalled it a number of times without issue. They are stepper motors... there is nothing that could cause a short or overload under normal conditions. Very strange... I would be calling iOptron support.

• Dynan likes this

#6 PABresler

PABresler

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:14 PM

The mount hit the limits, made a grinding sound, and then went out. It then would not power on. No fuses, unfortunately. Ioptron is not AP....APCC and the GTO4 controller have the safety features built-in. The mount is on the way to MA.

Now that I think about it, when it worked, I first did a plate solve and sync with the mount in the zero position. Then I had it slew to the target. That is not necessary with the AP mount. SGP seems to know what position the mount is in.

Peter

#7 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:34 PM

I'm most likely rehashing what you already know but with iOptron mounts when you set Home Position the steppers just count from that position. But if the stepper slips during the slew it will lose it's position usually it will come up short of the goto position as long as it is in the same direction. If you move after a stall in the opposite direction it will overshoot. So anytime there is a stall (stepper slipping or not moving but buzzing) the mount needs to be hand control slewed back to the home position and it re-established.   

• Dynan and RossW like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics