•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI183MC Pro Cooled

Astrophotography CMOS DSO EAA Equipment Imaging Maksutov Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sportfan1969

sportfan1969

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:02 AM

Good  morning all.  , would the ZWO ASI 183MC Pro be a good match to a Bresser152mm 6" Maksutov-Newtonian FL=740mm / D=152mm f4.8 with a Carbon Fiber tube? If it's a good match, I will be using it for DSO imaging and Planetary on a Sky-Watcher EQ6R Pro mount. I have been using a ZWO AI 178 MM camera as a primary imaging camera but looking to upgrade to a higher resolution color camera with cooling for imaging and using the ASI178MM for a dedicated guiding solution. Thank you.

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:46 AM

Moving this topic from EAA to Beginning Deep Sky Imaging for a potentially better fit.

#3 MountainDog

MountainDog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:35 PM

Good  morning all.  , would the ZWO ASI 183MC Pro be a good match to a Bresser152mm 6" Maksutov-Newtonian FL=740mm / D=152mm f4.8 with a Carbon Fiber tube? If it's a good match, I will be using it for DSO imaging and Planetary on a Sky-Watcher EQ6R Pro mount. I have been using a ZWO AI 178 MM camera as a primary imaging camera but looking to upgrade to a higher resolution color camera with cooling for imaging and using the ASI178MM for a dedicated guiding solution. Thank you.

Sportfan1969,

I can't comment directly about the 183MC Pro being a good match for your scope, however I will do my best to compare my experience with the same camera and mount.

My scope is an Orion 8" f4.9 1000mm FL so with the 183MC on that scope I get a pretty small FOV but I knew that going in and did a lot of thinking and comparing FOV on Astronomy Tools FOV calculator.  I'm new to astrophotography but if you check my gallery you can see the two shots of M42 I was able to get on my cameras' first light.  Those are taken from my back porch with no direct LOS to Polaris (used an app to "roughly" do pa) and then did short exposures.

My first question would be, What do you want to image?  Will that fit in the FOV of your scope / camera combo?  Those were the things I asked myself and for now I'm ok with the smaller FOV I have.

I'm sure some others will chime in with more technical reasonings - I tend to lean to the "do I like what it gives me?" side of the equation.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

MD

#4 Sublimation

Sublimation

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:32 AM

Just curious sportfan 1969 (seeing the gear in your signature) if you are happy with the ASI183MC? I have the Bresser scope (precursor to comet hunter) and am weighing either a DSLR or a 183MC or (maybe) a 294MC. Thanks--Russell

#5 sportfan1969

sportfan1969

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:59 AM

Russell,

Good morning.  Thank you for reaching out regarding the ASI183MC Pro Color Cooled camera and the Bresser Messier 152mm Maksutov-Newtonian.

I really like this combination.  The pixel density is high (2.9um) there is slight super-sampling and the FOV is limited due to the small sensor size.  

I have also been thinking about adding the ASI294MC Pro or the ASI2600MC Pro. 

I have not measured the actual image circle (yet).  If the image circle of the Bresser is sufficient to fully illuminate the ASI2600MC Pro, That will be the camera I will purchase next.

As for image quality with the ASI183MC Pro Cooled, there is amp-glow on the right side of the sensor; this can be corrected with dark-frame subtraction.  The images are sharp, contrast is good, and the noise is quite low.  

I do have a question for you; would you happen to have the original documentation for the Bresser?  If so, would it be possible for you to scan the pages and send them to me via email?  I have reached out to JOC (the OEM), Explore Scientific (here in the USA), as well as Bresser.de, unfortunately none of them have any of the original documentation (hard or soft copy) to provide owners.

If you would like any samples of unprocessed images with the telescope/camera combination, let me know.  I will be glad to send you a few .FITS files.

Also, a recommendation for anyone purchasing a ZWO cooled camera that does not have a built-in dew heater,  it's wise to spend the additional $20 and order the ZWO dew-heater that attaches to the front of the camera housing.   

Kind Regards. 

#6 Sublimation

Sublimation

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply. Sadly, my scope came to me from Bresser (I live in Germany) without any documentation (just checked the original box in the basement). I only recently realised there were material differences to the ES Comet Hunter...and had erroneously thought I could use those files.

Dew heater is a topic I had not considered thanks for that. The 183's FOV is my main concern at the moment and this may push me to the 294...am still reviewing on astronomy.tools.

Do you also do any planetary imaging? If so, what are you using for that?

All the best, Russell

#7 sportfan1969

sportfan1969

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

Russell,

I use an older ASI178MC Color (Non-cooled) camera for planetary.  This was a poor decision on my part.  I should have taken a bit more time to research my options before purchasing that camera.

Also, I moved from Mannheim, Germany to the USA in 1994  I do miss living in Germany quite a bit, and always look forward to visiting every chance I get.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, DSO, EAA, Equipment, Imaging, Maksutov, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics