•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crystal Coast of NC.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

I not very savoy in telescope viewing, but do enjoy it and spend a lot of time doing it.  The problem I have (if it is a problem) is the small plossl eyepieces I have are hard to look through for me at least.  I have a Celestron 25mm (that I like and works great and all I really use) , 13mm and Zhumell 9mm (these are the problem) that are 1.25" and fit the diagonal for my Meade 125 Mak.  I also have a (non plossl, at least it doesn't say it is) 30mm Zhumell wide field that came with my 8" dob. that I love, but it's a 2" and don't know if it will work with the small Mak.  I only have the 4 eyepieces, but I'm stuck using just the 25mm with the Mak. that I use on a Sky Watcher AZ-GTi mount.

What would be a good eyepiece to use with my Mak. in the 15mm to 9mm range that would be easier to look through?  

Would something like these do well?

https://www.highpoin...ce-epwp5215-01

https://www.highpoin...-eyepiece-swa15

Thanks for looking

Edited by By-tor, 25 February 2021 - 10:19 AM.

#2 mabeard

mabeard

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

Nice a rush reference. I love it.
  • scotsman328i and By-tor like this

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

What is it about the eyepieces you have that you do not like?  Narrow field of field?  Too high of magnification?

• By-tor likes this

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

Also take a look at the Paradigm Dual HD. Longer eye relief than the plossls you are using.

https://www.astronom...iece_series=478

• rowdy388, davelpg and By-tor like this

#5 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:42 AM

You could probably purchase adapters for your Mak and convert it to a 2" visual back and then you could use your 2" 30mm or an even longer focal length like a Meade 56mm plossl.

To replace your plossls in the price range you are looking at, I highly recommend the Paradigms that were recommended above.  Doesn't get much better for that price.  

• By-tor likes this

#6 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

Sounds like the final eye lens and the eye relief that are your problem. Fairly common in many cases.

The ES52's are plossl like in their field of view but have greater eye relief and that usually means a bigger final eye lens. So should be good for you.

The SWA should do well as you say Mak and the eyepiece is a common one under assorted names ans brands. They work best at f/6 and slower, lets say f/7, but the Mak is well beyond that so should be fine. Unsure what the eye relief is on the SWA's as in not sure if it alters by focal length.

Alternatives are the Paradigms, all have big eye lens and around 16-17mm eye relief. I wear glasses and they work fine for me.

• By-tor likes this

#7 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

Nice a rush reference. I love it.

Of course!!    Drove to Toronto from Michigan for my first live Rush show "A Farewell to Kings" in 1977...

What is it about the eyepieces you have that you do not like?  Narrow field of field?  Too high of magnification?

I think it's narrow field and that small opening to look through...  At 60 y/o my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Also take a look at the Paradigm Dual HD. Longer eye relief than the plossls you are using.

https://www.astronom...iece_series=478

Those look nice, but the only one in stock is the 18mm.  

Thanks all for posting

• scotsman328i likes this

#8 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:55 AM

You could probably purchase adapters for your Mak and convert it to a 2" visual back and then you could use your 2" 30mm or an even longer focal length like a Meade 56mm plossl.

To replace your plossls in the price range you are looking at, I highly recommend the Paradigms that were recommended above.  Doesn't get much better for that price.  

I do have a threaded adapter ring and 2" adapter/ extension on it, but didn't know how well a 2" eyepiece would work with that small back.  If it would I would need a diagonal for the 2" eyepiece.

Sounds like the final eye lens and the eye relief that are your problem. Fairly common in many cases.

The ES52's are plossl like in their field of view but have greater eye relief and that usually means a bigger final eye lens. So should be good for you.

The SWA should do well as you say Mak and the eyepiece is a common one under assorted names ans brands. They work best at f/6 and slower, lets say f/7, but the Mak is well beyond that so should be fine. Unsure what the eye relief is on the SWA's as in not sure if it alters by focal length.

Alternatives are the Paradigms, all have big eye lens and around 16-17mm eye relief. I wear glasses and they work fine for me.

Yes the final lens are so small on the 13mm and 9mm. 

Thanks

#9 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

Those 5 element SWA eyepieces like the 15mm you linked do work quite well in a slow Mak.  I only keep those around for my little travel Mak, and honestly there is little difference between them and many expensive 68 or 70 degree eyepieces in an F/12 Mak.  The Dual ED's are better all-arounders though and would also work quite well in your Dob also.

The 2" visual back on your Mak would be a nice upgrade that would provide wider views but you have a Dob that will give you better wide views anyway.  So you may not care about expanding the range of lower power EP's you can use with the Mak.  The small rear baffle opening can and will cause some vignetting as you use eyepieces with field stops wider than the baffle openeing... however, vignetting is not that big of a deal or even that noticeable to me personally.

• By-tor likes this

#10 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:25 AM

I would use the Dob & sell the Mak.  

• By-tor likes this

#11 MisterDan

MisterDan

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:35 AM

You might look at the Paradigm eyepieces (available through our sponsor, Astronomics).  The entire line features larger eye lenses (which you seem to favor) and twist-up eye cups which can help with "tailoring" the eyepieces' "fit" (to your eye socket, brow, bridge of your nose, et.al).  Other Smyth-lens-based eyepiece lines offer similar "comfort" features (i.e. larger eye lenses, adjustable eye cups, etc.), so don't worry too much about finding good candidates - there are lots of options out there.  You will likely need to try them out before you can determine whether or not they "fit" you, however.

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

• davelpg and By-tor like this

#12 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:06 PM

Those 5 element SWA eyepieces like the 15mm you linked do work quite well in a slow Mak.  I only keep those around for my little travel Mak, and honestly there is little difference between them and many expensive 68 or 70 degree eyepieces in an F/12 Mak.  The Dual ED's are better all-arounders though and would also work quite well in your Dob also.

The 2" visual back on your Mak would be a nice upgrade that would provide wider views but you have a Dob that will give you better wide views anyway.  So you may not care about expanding the range of lower power EP's you can use with the Mak.  The small rear baffle opening can and will cause some vignetting as you use eyepieces with field stops wider than the baffle openeing... however, vignetting is not that big of a deal or even that noticeable to me personally.

I think I'm just going to use the 1.25" EPs on the little Mak.  The Paradigm EPs have been recommended a lot so far and I think I'm going to order the only one in stock (18mm) and give it a try.

I would use the Dob & sell the Mak.  

I got into this hobby less than a year ago and the Dob. was the first real scope I looked through ever and fell in love with the hobby.  I pull it out when we have family over or for my grandkids to use since it is so easy.   I picked up the small Mak and AZ-GTi go to mount to take out to the clubs dark sky site since it's small and light and a joy to use controlling it with the phone app.  I lugged my imaging setup out to the island once and now only image from my bortle 4 backyard as I don't want to break it all down and set it all up.

You might look at the Paradigm eyepieces (available through our sponsor, Astronomics).  The entire line features larger eye lenses (which you seem to favor) and twist-up eye cups which can help with "tailoring" the eyepieces' "fit" (to your eye socket, brow, bridge of your nose, et.al).  Other Smyth-lens-based eyepiece lines offer similar "comfort" features (i.e. larger eye lenses, adjustable eye cups, etc.), so don't worry too much about finding good candidates - there are lots of options out there.  You will likely need to try them out before you can determine whether or not they "fit" you, however.

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

I do like the larger eye lens and those Paradigm's are looking promising.

Thanks all for posting 

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:12 PM

Of course!! Drove to Toronto from Michigan for my first live Rush show "A Farewell to Kings" in 1977...

I think it's narrow field and that small opening to look through... At 60 y/o my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Those look nice, but the only one in stock is the 18mm.

Thanks all for posting

That’s because the 25 and 18 are considered the worst in the series. I get the impression anything good is sold out now. If you find something actually in stock, either it is an ultra expensive specialty item or maybe it isn’t very good and most people don’t want it. I am sure there are probably exceptions. But yeah you need a more complex design to get more AFOV and eye relief than Plossl. The Paradigm are popular suggestions. In your super slow Mak, a 15 and 9 Expanse (or one of the many clones) can be an affordable alternative, with 66 AFOV (some clones advertise 68 AFOV because, well, marketing). The 9mm might even perform decent in your Dob. Because there are so many brands of these popular cheap eyepieces, it is likely you can find one in stock somewhere, at least in China. So then you would just wait six weeks for shipping an in stock item instead of waiting three months on back order.

And no, you can’t use the 30mm with the Mak. But a 30-32 Plossl could give you a little wider view.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 25 February 2021 - 12:13 PM.

• By-tor likes this

#14 sportsmed

sportsmed

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

I have a 127mm Mak and with slower scopes they are more forgiving with eyepieces but I'm not for sure your budget. I would look at Celestron X-Cel LX, i have the 9mm, 18mm, and 25mm and they work great in my Mak. Also I have Agena SWA 20mm and I really like it in the Mak. They have a 10mm and 15mm in that series. But the Paradigms would be a good option as well. And I would just stick with 1.25" EP's in the Mak personally.

• By-tor likes this

#15 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:48 PM

A 40mm plossl would give you about the lowest power/greatest field of view for the Mak with 1.25" eyepieces.  And they're pretty cheap too.

• By-tor likes this

#16 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:02 PM

Would a 2x barlow work well with the Astro-Tech Paradigm EPs?

#17 sportsmed

sportsmed

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:33 PM

Yea they would work, personally though I would get a decent barlow since you are adding glass in your optical chain. I have been looking at the GSO/Apertura/High Point Scientific 2.5x APO barlow for a good cheap alternative, they run for around $50 new. Or you could get a X-Cel LX 2x barlow for under $100.

Edited by sportsmed, 25 February 2021 - 06:33 PM.

• By-tor likes this

#18 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

Yea they would work, personally though I would get a decent barlow since you are adding glass in your optical chain. I have been looking at the GSO/Apertura/High Point Scientific 2.5x APO barlow for a good cheap alternative, they run for around $50 new. Or you could get a X-Cel LX 2x barlow for under $100.

I'm thinking of picking up an Astro-Tech Paradigm 18mm ED and the Astro-Tech 2X Achromatic barlow.  Along with replacing my cheap/old Celestron diagonal with the Astro-Tech 99%.

https://www.astronom...-eyepieces.html

https://www.astronom...r-diagonal.html

• bdcmd likes this

#19 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:52 AM

Would a 2x barlow work well with the Astro-Tech Paradigm EPs?

Very well.  

Starting at FL=15mm and going higher, the outer edges of the field improve a lot.

You need to go down to an FL of 12mm in the Paradigm to get a full sharp

field from a fast barrel (like F5)....without Barlow..

If you can swing it, a Televue 2x Barlow or an Orion TriMag(3X) would contribute

a bit more to all your eyepieces in the future and present. A Barlow's value

(good or bad) is multiplied across all eyepieces. Or divided, by cost ;-)

Edited by MartinPond, 26 February 2021 - 09:53 AM.

• bdcmd likes this

#20 By-tor

By-tor

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:21 PM

I picked up a Paradigm 18mm (only one that was in stock) and have been out viewing with a it a few times now and I really like it.  It's very well built and solid and the adjustable eye cup works great and is very comfortable to use.   Since we have had bad weather or moonless since I recieved the eyepiece I haven't been able to view it yet..  

I'm happy with this eyepiece and thinking about picking up another Paradigm.

Thanks for the help and recommendations.

• sportsmed and eyeoftexas like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics